Damn you guys and girls if there are any

livingaboard

Banned
Since visiting this forum in December or so I have spent too much money on lights. My coworkers think I am nuts for spending anything over ten bucks for a light. Of course this is all of CPF's fault.

The thing that got me to this forum is that I bought an LED coast cutlery 1 watt led light at Costco. While doing research on this light I found this place along with a few well know flashlight review sights.

I balked at spending $30 for an led light and when I did I thought it was the best thing ever and bright. Well it isn't the best thing ever and it isn't bright compared to my new lights. Of course we all know that $30 is nothing when it comes to a quality light.

My holy grail purchase would be an HID light someday.

Until then this is what you caused me to buy in addition to my stock mags and many other little and cheap lights,

Surefire L1, G2, 6p
Inova t3
Fenix L1p, L2p have arrived and the LOP has shipped
Osram Dragon Lantern (group buy on here)
SL 4AA luxeon, 4aa 7 LED
Eternalight EliteMax CPF should be here this week.

I also ordered a Garrity 1 million candlepower rechargeable light (I know, not much light but it was free as a recognition award at work)
Also free was the Garrity 3c 4 Nichia led lantern with multiple power settings.

I am seriously considering the A2, L4 and U2 lights at Optics before they raise their prices. I might get them tonight.

I am taking back the Costco light soon as I realized it isn't voltage regulated and the light flickers.

The flashlights are akin to man's first experience with fire I believe. I am sure that many cavemen had large collections of sticks for which to light on fire for light. Other cave people were probably like "Why do you need so many sticks?"

Thanks again (sarchasm)

Pila_Power

Enlightened
"Why do you need so many sticks"

:crackup:

Maaan, that was sooo good!! I'm gonna relate this one to my missus next time she says that.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's the way it goes. CPF has had the worst effect on my financial situation of any websites other than the machining ones. Of course, I only collect pretty inexpensive lights so that might say more about my income than CPF. :)

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hang on tight - the ride has only just begun. For jumping in with both feet, I must complement you on your selection of lights to get started with. Those are all fine choices.

Hold on to those stock Maglites. You may not believe this now, but down the road somewhere, those Maglites may be some of your favorite lights - just not in their stock condition. There's very little that can compare with the thrill of lighting up your own Mag85 for the first time. Mag85 is 250 lumens brighter than the best Surefire light on the market. My Mag11 is 200 lumens brighter than the best Surefire and runs well over an hour.

welcome.gif
to the party
dancing.gif

livingaboard

Banned
ABTOMAT said:
That's the way it goes. CPF has had the worst effect on my financial situation of any websites other than the machining ones. Of course, I only collect pretty inexpensive lights so that might say more about my income than CPF. :)

What are the machining ones?

ddaadd

Enlightened
Yup, another one sucked into the dark vortex trying to shine his way out!
The brighter you shine, the deeper you go! You simply don't get out.....

Jeez, all I wanted was a little red laser pointer for work, and look at me now.
It seems you have some discretionary income,well, you're in deep sh*t mister!

Heed the words by JimH, I find myself currently in the "m*g modding phase" of the addiction, purging myself of the evil rings of yellow. The first sign of denial is obvious, "I really don't need anymore flashlights". Well, yes you do......:devil:

CLHC

Flashaholic
That's what happens when logging onto CPF. . .Just can't resist the urge to splurge on torches!

russtang

Flashlight Enthusiast
The choices and possibilities are endless. Enjoy!

I am now officially hooked myself. :rock:

Flakey

Enlightened
"i really dont need any more flashlights" ......... yep i said that one yesterday. today i talk with a fellow flashaholic for 10 minutes and i find out that im turning my already "adeaquate" mag74 into a mag35 (6v 35w westinghouse bulb overdrivven at 8.4v) As soon as i get 600 Lumens in my hand i find the need to turn it into 1000 lumens ... go figure one can never have big enough sticks i suppose =)

:lolsign::lolsign::lolsign: "why do you have so many sticks?" :lolsign::lolsign::lolsign:

my name is fake

Enlightened
well

my meetup with some flashaholics from malaysia also proves the power of persuasion to part with your money for more lights you THINK you need.

hence i got myself a brand new spankin VB-16 multi brightness LED...:rock:

pec50

Enlightened
You can, however, begin to control some of the expense by modding existing or low cost lights, such as replacing leds on older lights with newer options. Consider this part of an educational plan for better understanding electronics. There are a number of ways for rationalizing this hobby, particularly if you can use the lights vocationally. But, establishing a monthly allowance and selling lights you are not using in B/S/T certainly helps.

liquidsix

Enlightened
An HID light? Like SureFire's "the beast" that they were offering for $3000 to a select few citizens of the US a few months ago?

Are there any others besides MegaRay (if megaray makes HIDs)?

Belgian Cookiemonster

Newly Enlightened
Hehe, i came here to figure out what was the best FL to buy around 40$ and i ended up buying one around 200$. :sssh:

I DO hope it stops with just this one ... tho a small one for in my car would be very handy also or one for... :grin2:

Greetz
Erwin

DonShock

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got sucked in when I bought a Coast LED Lenser 1.25W Tac Torch at Lowes in Mid-Nov. I thought I was nuts trying a $43 light to replace a $9 MM. Now it's 2 months later and I'm down $500. Over $200 of that just in the last week or so since finally getting registered on CPF.

Plus, I'm really starting to annoy my co-workers!

At least I've resisted the siren call of the $240 Mini-HID by cmaccclel.
(Statement not guaranteed to be valid longer than 5 minutes after being posted)

Last edited:

Sharpdogs

Enlightened
It's only becoming a problem if you are forced to take out second mortgage. I am few lights away from that.