Labcoat pocket

spyderknut

Enlightened
Hi. Newish here.

I have a SL Jr. Luxeon. I like it a lot. I use it mostly at work, looking at mouths, eyes, wounds and stuff. It is a little heavy for a shirt or labcoat pocket. The Stylus was just not bright enough. I prefer clipped labcoat pocket carry rather than pants pocket.

Recommendations?

DaveG

Enlightened
How about a Rock River 2-aaa cell at Target? Small and has a clip on it bright for its size has the same on-off as Stylus, its 0.5 watt is much brighter than the Stylus and only $10.

CLHC

Flashaholic
Get a Mini Maglite with clip and a drop-in LED from the LED-REPLACEMENT maybe a Kroll clickie from The Sandwich Shoppe to go along with it. But whatever you go with, Enjoy!

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Another vote for the River Rock 2 AAA. Cheap, light weight, easily "mouthable", probably just bright enough for your needs. Did I mention cheap? :laughing:

Geoff

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Doctors, nurses and EMTs like to operate the lights with one hand. They seem to like clicky switch on the back of the light. Clip to hold light in front pocket of labcoat/uniform is an asset.

Garrity 2AAA penlight. Pocket clip. Clicky button. Minimag style bipin bulb. It is NOT possible to upgrade this with an LED.
http://www.garritylites.com/site/re...ls.php?recid=50

River Rock 2AAA at Target is known as the Nuwai TM-311H elsewhere. Long pocket clip. Lock out tailcap with momentary button.
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/nuwai_tm-311h_2aaa.htm

Minimag AAA. Twist head on off.
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/maglite_minimagaaa.htm
It is possible to upgrade this with a TLE-10. Bought/homemade diffuser highly recommended. TLE-10 istock beam pattern is terrible.
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/terralux_tle-10.htm
The Tectite LT-2 is no brighter than the stylus and not recommended.

All these lights are only about 1/2 as bright as the Lux Jr.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just out of curiosity ...
Why would a health practitioner be shining something like a Luxeon into someone's eyes at close range? Given that a 5MM LED is going to be pretty harsh on the eye at close range (within a foot or two), isn't a Lux a bit of an overkill?

LEDninja said:
All these lights are only about 1/2 as bright as the Lux Jr.

spyderknut

Enlightened
The people whose eyes I need to see best do not care. The Jr. Luxeon is a little too big and bright though, that's why I started this thread. Thanks for the great suggestions.

GadgetTravel

Enlightened
spyderknut said:
The people whose eyes I need to see best do not care. The Jr. Luxeon is a little too big and bright though, that's why I started this thread. Thanks for the great suggestions.

Pathologist?

spyderknut

Enlightened
:lolsign:

Nah, not a pathologist. I see living patients. Sometimes just barely. The comatose ICU :faint: patients are the ones whose eyes I really need to see. I have yet to have one complain that my light is too bright.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
spyderknut said:
The comatose ICU :faint: patients are the ones whose eyes I really need to see. I have yet to have one complain that my light is too bright.

icon10.gif

Well, then I say try a large variety of lights and report back!

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
You would like the ARC - AAA (old model-not too bright) on a lanyard hangin around your neck . Just the right brightness to get a pupil reaction......I would think . It's very small and lightweight .

Hookd_On_Photons

Enlightened
The Arc AAA is a bit blue-tinted, but is otherwise an excellent choice. I'm sure somebody's going to say accurate color rendition is a must for medical use, but IMO for making rounds and checking wounds at the bedside it works well enough even if it's not perfectly white. The River Rock 2-AAA is also blue-tinted. The build quality of the Arc AAA is top-notch, and mine has stood up to being cleaned a few times with a surgical scrub brush after getting blood or other biological fluids on it.

A clicky switch is a definite plus, IMO. I prefer twisties for reliability, but for a frequently used light, I prefer the utility of a clicky tailswitch.

I use a Fenix L1P for everyday carry. I've heard the Mini-Mag clip fits the Fenix L1P, but I don't mind pocket carry and I'd rather not risk scratching the anodizing (the quality of the Fenix HA3 is not on par with Arc's or Peak's). I don't usually have a large inpatient census, so you may not find it as useful as I do: it would probably be cumbersome to change dressings or perform other bedside procedures that require two hands, using the L1P... but that's what the overhead room lights are for.

As for hanging the light on a neck lanyard or putting in one's mouth... yuck. No way would I do that for a light used in a health care setting, especially in a critical care setting, unless you're willing to wash your flashlight as often as your hands. (Link to story: "Doctors' Ties Spreading Disease" )

vic303

Enlightened
Nuwai TM310H 1AAA .5W or the TM311H 2AAA .5w lights should do well. LED Experimenter and amondotech.com both sell them.

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use a modded Dorcy AAA with a Nichia CS.

It rides nicely in my labcoat, and has a momentary tail. It is very bright. I mostly use it for assessing epidural sites. Color rendition isn't prefect, but still pretty good.

You might be able to use a super MJLED or Snow LED as well.

Bob