Satisfaction?

Tooner

Newly Enlightened
Thanks mainly to this site (and some deep internal flaw) I think I have found my new hobby. I can see myself buying way more flashlights than a normal person needs. I find myself checking in here daily and reading the reviews and posts with great interest.

Thus far I haven't bought any hi-dollar lights. Hi-dollar being a relative figure, an amount that you wouldn't just casually spend without a great deal of thought. For me that would mean around a hundred bucks, or more.

I want to build my collection slowly. After all, even if one could easily afford it, it just wouldn't be any fun to go buy a ton of these lights all at once. The thrill is in the hunt for the next light, and the anticipation.

The only decent light I have for now is the SL Pro- Poly 4AA Lux. Not what I would consider a hi-dollar unit. But I have been eyeballing some more expensive lights. Here is where I am concerned, and leads me to my question. For you guys with the premium flashlights. Do you in general still get satisfaction from your purchase of lesser expensive lights? Or are you pretty much always disappointed with them, and now don't find any joy in say a simple River Rock or the above mentioned Streamlight as examples?

Thanks
Tooner

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Tooner,

Welcome to CPF.

I view a lights primary duty as illuminating things at night. To me, it does not matter how expensive the light is, if it lights up what I am looking at (or for) it's a great light. On the other hand, if I find myself peering into the edges of the shadows because it doesn't throw far enough, or having to pan back and forth because the beam is too focused, it's time to change lights.

During daylight hours, you can display them if they look good, or put them away if they don't.

I should warn you, it seems that our perceived "needs" are a moving target. This can result in getting several "special use" lights, then finding one that turns out to be a "universal" light. Also, there is a constant evolution in lights and we end up trying out the "new kid on the block." This can result in serious drains on your wallet and extreme nocturnal behavior... :D

Tom

carrot

Flashaholic
I've found that only things that truly feel like quality give me satisfaction -- if only for a little while -- the Surefire G2 is a good example of this -- I was happy with it because of the very high quality polymer and the nice feel of the light... but now I want a nice HA-III Surefire.

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi, Tooner. Welcome to CPF.

I'm not a huge spender as CPFers go, but have bought and sold numerous fine lights since signing up here. I've bought a good number at over $100, and at least one (I later sold) for over $200. I most appeciate a light that gives good value for the price. In my case at least (maybe in part because I don't have the advanced knowledge to appreciate all the finer qualities of the most expensive lights), owning and having owned some of the better ones hasn't spoiled me from appreciating and using a well made less expensive one.

One of my least expensive current lights is a Streamlight 3watt 2L (2 level) Tasklight, but I use it more often than many of my more expensive ones. It's just a capable, well made, and versatile light that fits some of my needs very well.

I would guess that a lot of CPFers have similar feelings, judging by the number of them, most of whom are more knowledgeable and have more extensive collections than me, who have bought, used, and heaped high praise on other inexpensive but well made lights---your SL 4AA Propoly Lux, the Fenix, and the "Hall of Fame" CMG Infinity Ultra and Ultra G, to name a few.

You can make what you want out of this hobby---do it your way and have fun!

Andrew

Luxman

Enlightened
Welcome to cpf!
IMO it depends on the Amount of Reliability, Durability, Finish, Looks, Beam Quality, Beam Type, Features, and Functions you expect from a light. You get what you pay for.

And like Silverfox said, with time your needs also become more specialized and are a moving target..

IonFire

Enlightened
Hmm good question.

I myself, have come to understand not to expect Surefire quality when buying other lights.

So , now when i buy a cheapie, and it comes through as a real tough workhorse of the sort, i can really love it.(Remember, if thier cheap, they can come in multiples.:devil: )
If it doesn't turn out, its no biggie really, its a cheapy.:xyxgun:

IF

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've bought and built lights in the over $100 category... not many, but enough to have figured out what I like and what I don't.

Around the house, the light I use the most is a $5 Solitaire I did with a $1 Nichia CS LED and a $5 LiON cell.

I'm a big believer in the right tool for the job and a great many of the bigger dollar lights are either too large and/or too bright for close in around the house use in my opinion.

CLHC

Flashaholic
Just wanted to say my greetings and Welcome to CPF!

Way to go on that Streamlight 4dbA ProPo Lux! I'm satisfied with that one in the "lower" priced LED category of my flashlight collection.

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tooner said:
For you guys with the premium flashlights. Do you in general still get satisfaction from your purchase of lesser expensive lights? Or are you pretty much always disappointed with them, and now don't find any joy in say a simple River Rock or the above mentioned Streamlight as examples? . . .

I still enjoy the "low end" lights, as long as they are quality.

A military angle-head is a good example. That is a fun light! It has different filters, a spare bulb, and a lot of other cool features. It is old technology, but is a good light within its constraints. Very satisfying in its own right.

Then there are the "wannabe" lights which immitate the high end lights but don't quite hit the mark. These are just frustrating, a waste of money. I think a guy is better off getting something simple that does its job; quality first, features second.

Nevertheless, really nice lights like McLux or SureFire can spoil you. Switching to a no-name discount light would be like driving a Ferrari and then switching to an economy car with mismatched body parts. Luxury is fun. I would not call it satisfying, but it is fun.

Satisfying is having a quality light that does what it is supposed to do, and does it well. That might be a GI angle-head or a SureFire A2. I carried a MiniMag AA on my backpack strap for over 10 years. That was a very satisfying light.

Now, if you are asking if there is an end point where you reach flashlight nirvana and have no desire for another light, there is really only one answer:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Scott

Last edited:

Flakey

Enlightened
After purchasing my first surefire light i find myself really uninterested in anything sub par. To me there are surefires and modded superlights (and modded surefire lights) I have to say though Buy a nice light. you will love it and be glad that you did it. dont hate surefires because they are beutifull. give in to the goodness! Also i suggest to anyone who will listen to me to consider doing so MAG mods. They are alot of fun to do and VERY rewarding. Welcome to CPF!!!!

ddaadd

Enlightened
Yes, I use my flashlights, all of them. However, I am at the point of having to rotate them, like a store owner rotates his stock, but differently, kindof. (yes,
I'm babbling) Newest light gets priority for a while, along with freshly completed mods, then to the back of the line. A quick count shows 5 on my person at this moment for EDC, and 3 more big guns in the truck. ......

Hec ya, a guy might have a flat tire to fix at night or something, and once you've shown off your stuff, ya look pretty silly if ya don't have it when ya need it!.....:wave:

P8040446a.jpg

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
It was kind of the other way around for me. Until I discovered this site, my primary 'professional' lights were a car mounted SL20X and a Stinger on my belt, with various aluminum based lights in use around the home. It is because of this site that I have discovered lower cost alternatives like the ProPoly Luxeon series lights, the Dorcy's, and the River Rock lights, which all offer more bang for the buck even if they aren't 'industrial use' products.

Tooner said:
Thus far I haven't bought any hi-dollar lights. Hi-dollar being a relative figure, an amount that you wouldn't just casually spend without a great deal of thought. For me that would mean around a hundred bucks, or more.

The only decent light I have for now is the SL Pro- Poly 4AA Lux. Not what I would consider a hi-dollar unit. But I have been eyeballing some more expensive lights. Here is where I am concerned, and leads me to my question. For you guys with the premium flashlights. Do you in general still get satisfaction from your purchase of lesser expensive lights? Or are you pretty much always disappointed with them, and now don't find any joy in say a simple River Rock or the above mentioned Streamlight as examples? Thanks
Tooner

Tooner

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the replies guys. I was just afraid of spoiling myself if I do buy a more expensive light. I am still undecided on my next purchase. The Peak Caribbean has caught my eye at this moment. I will wait awhile though before ordering it just to give me time to think thickly on it, and talk myself into or out of it. (I still can't believe that I am contemplating blowing a hundered bucks on a friggin flash light!)

rfwjr

Newly Enlightened
Well :whistle: I blame CPF for my recent light purchases and growing list of lights I want to purchase. Yes its all CPF's fault.

Ahhhh... it feels so good to blame someone else for my lack of self-control... :eek:oo:

Raven

Enlightened
You should blame the person who introduced you to high quality flashlights, for they are no better than a drug pusher, who gives the first hit away, for free.

The best way to address your addiction is to give all your lights to them, and make a clean break :D

rfwjr

Newly Enlightened
Sure I will blame you also Raven its nice to have an actual person to blame. :)

P.S. You will notice how I ignore the part about giving my lights to you.

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am sometimes somewhat disappointed by new purchases. Even though I see that what I've just bought is really a great light, it sometimes "just doesn't do it for it me". Price doesn't matter, either. Sometimes, a new inexpensive (relatively speaking) light really gets my gander and I feel all excited about if it's a nice quality light that performes much better than I expect. The Fenix, for example, is one of those lights. The 7w Golston, also, and now the soon to arrive Fenix LOP. I'm actually planning on picking up some of those Sam's Club Element lights. I think they break down to less than $12 each. I'm somewhat excited to get those, but mainly out of curiousity and hope that they'll make great gifts.

Also, and thanks to the creative folks around here, there is always something new popping up that you just have to have, whether it be a light, a part, a holster, etc... There's plenty of excitement to come!