small maglite alternate

Stephen7372

Newly Enlightened
What's the alternative to a small maglite?

A nurse wanted one to shine peoples eyes (sounds good fun !)

erm maybe the maglite is the best ??

CLHC

Flashaholic
How about those readily available and affordable Garrity Pen lights? I don't think the nurse(s) wants to intentionally "blind" patients. . .

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
For that kind of close-in work, the 1AAA Dorcy is more than adequate, and may even be a little overpowering if it is used too closely.

CLHC

Flashaholic
Using a Thor, then would mean that you will not be able to open their eyes to have a looksee. . .I'm sure the patient will turn his head away from you. He he he. . .

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Streamlight Stylus comes to mind as well. This topic seems to come up about every other week in the recent past.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pelican L4 penlight is a good light for that use.

-David

Inferno

Newly Enlightened
I can second the comment made by LED Ninja; I carry a clickie Sharpie at work to mark down the expiration dates on the drug boxes and even the "City-issued" ballpoint pens we receive from supply are clickies! Garrity makes a penlight (mentioned above) that runs off of two AAA batteries, and looks like, well, a pen. It has a steel tube body with plastic ends. I simply stuck a 10mm white LED in mine and glued it in place, then used three button cells and an aluminum rod in place of the AAA's to get about 4.5 volts. Perfect for checking pupils in low-light, but hard to get a response with a lot of ambient light around (i.e., back of ambulance w/ overheads lights on). Most of the time, I use my Fenix L1-P and use the sidespill or hotspot to check the pupils-- the latter for our "incooperative" patients... I'd say get her a Fenix L1-P; they use common batteries, are compact, and she can also use it as an "all-around" light without neededing a second hand to switch it on. Since I got my Fenix, I stopped carrying my modified Garrity...

Last edited:

Spongebob

Newly Enlightened
I have one of those Garrity stainless pen lights in my desk drawer now pretty much brand new. I got it for late night fridge raids and such but the wife is a light sleeper and the clicky switch would wake her up lol. loud for a pen light.

You could have this one but the shipping to UK would be more than the light is worth im sure.

The Streamlight Stylus would be perfect as well but cost alot more then the Garrity, 15.00 to 20.00 in the US depending on where you buy it.

McShawn

Enlightened
My wife is a nurse and i gave her one of the small AAAA powered lights, it works great except the doctors keep trying to steal it.

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
Spongebob said:
I have one of those Garrity stainless pen lights in my desk drawer now pretty much brand new. I got it for late night fridge raids and such but the wife is a light sleeper and the clicky switch would wake her up lol. loud for a pen light.

I think you inquired about the Dorcy 1AAA in an earlier post. They are perfect for those kinds of missions.