Recommend me a Pink Panther movie

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am intrigued by the new Steve Martin version coming out but what would be a classic Peter Sellers version to rent on Netflix?

Sleestak

Newly Enlightened
Get them all, in series. They're pretty funny, but it's been a while now since I've seen them. They might seem lame today.

Whatever you do, beware of Meenkeys.:aaa:

bruner

Enlightened
I can't wait to see the Steve Martin version. He always does a good job, whatever it is he's doing. I'm sure he'll make us proud.

Sorry, but it's been so long since I've seen the original PP movies, I can't really recommend one. I agree with Sleestak, however. Rent any/all of them. I don't think you'll be dissapointed.

Dan

Former_Mag_User

Enlightened
I highly reccomend The Return of the Pink Panther, I personally think it is the funniest in the series.

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love Steve Martin, the guy is truly hilarious, but I'm sure I'll lose focus of the movie every time I see Beyonce' Knowles on screen!

magic79

Enlightened
Yes...Return of the Pink Panther is the creme de la creme. Be forewarned: wear a diaper because you'll probably laugh so hard you'll pee your pants!!:laughing:

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
OMG Peter Sellers made me laugh a lot in that one where he had to go to the castle, it also had "Does your dog bite?" quote and there was a dentist with laughing gas too... oh geez!! ROFLMAO

I liked him in The Party and Being There as Chauncy The Gardener. I didn't care much for that classic Atomic Bomb movie but even though it's rated as one of the top ten movies of all time.

I saw a biographical movie recently about Peter Sellers and it showed him as a real prick. Kinda bummer but he sure made me laugh when he was acting :)

bruner

Enlightened
CroMAGnet,

I've heard the same thing too (about him being a prick). I wonder if Chevy Chase is the same way? I love his work, but hardly anyone showed up for his roast on comedy central...

Dan

BF Hammer

Enlightened
The first appearance of Peter Sellers as Inspector Clouseau is in a movie titled "A Shot In The Dark" (1964) where he was really just comic relief for the film.

"The Pink Panther" was the first feature film, based around Clouseau. The next 2 were "Return of the Pink Panther" and "The Pink Panther Strikes Again". All of these films will have you laughing until you are in tears.

The later films were progressively weaker. "Revenge of the Pink Panther" is still pretty good, it was produced while Peter Sellers was still alive. "Trail of the Pink Panther" was old footage used to make a movie following Seller's death. "Curse of the Pink Panther" just introduces a "new" Clouseau and is not good at all. The last 2 should not be considered to be on a recommended list.

"Return" and "Strikes Again" are the finest of the films IMHO.

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
No doubt. Tose roasts crack me up but I missed the Chevy Chase one.

As for overplaying the movies on TV, I totally agree and have grown bored with them but they were truly funny the first couple of times :)

So if you haven't seen them, it's worth a rental for sure.

I still get a big laugh out of Steve Martin and John Candy in Planes, Trains and Automobiles! I watch it every year at Thanksgiving. The JC driving scene is so over the top funny I LMAO every time :D

joecandlepower

Newly Enlightened
BF Hammer has it right on the button.

You may not want to see the Peter Sellar Pink Panther movies as I don't think the Steve Martin one could come close.
IMHO and no offense to the Steve Martin fans, but Peter Sellars was one of a kind that can't be replaced.