Minimag quit working...suggestions?

mrdctaylor

Newly Enlightened
I have two minimags (which both have a NiteIze kit on them). Anyway, one of them quit working. I tested the batteries which were fine. I swapped NiteIze bulb assemblies. Both worked fine on one of the minimags. It seems to be a very simple flashlight, so I cannot figure out what's going on. Any suggestions of things to try?

KSH92474

Newly Enlightened
not so sure if it's worth a shot but you can try and send it back for warranty. you probably do void your warranty if they find out you were using niteize in them but maybe if you take it out and send it, they will fix it for you?

DonShock

Flashlight Enthusiast
As you say, these are very simple. The connection from the battery + to one of the bulb sockets is a single metal piece, so there isn't likely a failure there. The - end of the battery goes through the body before it reaches the other pin socket and provides the switching. This is most likely where the failure is occuring. If you lift up and remove the black plastic part that the bulb goes into (it's the one that says "Do Not Remove"), you can seperate it from the actual bulb socket/switch (if the batteries are out, you can slide the socket all the way out the end of the flashlight). You wil see a small metal tab that is part of the second pin socket and goes to the edge of the bulb holder and makes the connection to the body as it rises up to complete the circuit and turn on the light.

One cause that I can see happening during normal use is that there may be something caught in this area that is preventing the socket from rising up far enough for the metal tab to contact the body. I would try pulling it completely apart, give it a good cleaning, and reassemble and it will hopefully start working again.

Another possibility is that the little metal tab is pushed so flat from turning on and off that it no longer makes contact. You could bend up the tab very slightly to get better contact with the body. But this usually results in an intermittent light as you shake it, not a total failure like you describe.

Last edited:

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Clean the threads on the tailcap and the inside body tube. Remove the Nite Ize adapter and rotate the switchplate/mounting ring for the lamp or adapter in this case. There is a tab from the negative terminal that runs to the edge of the switch module under that plate that contacts the body tube to make continuity to turn the thing on. If there is crud on the underside of the body tube lip where that part contacts it will not function. If it starts working or is intermittent carefully remove the plate from the assembly and carefuly allow the switch assembly to fall out the back of the body tube. Clean the inside lip of the tube and put the switch back in place. Use batteries to help hole it in place while you replace the outside plate again. It all snaps together.

My past history is dirty threads on the tial cap end. Also be careful when removing the switch, some parts will fall loose on you.

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
how about giving me the mag and the niteize module :)

j/k ummm...i think maybe the small tab dropped off or broke off. they are quite fragile .

try all the ways mention above btw.

mrdctaylor

Newly Enlightened
Well...I cleaned it all up and I got it "sorta" working. The LEDs come on, but very dimly. The batteries are fine. I guess maybe it needs more cleaning? What's the best thing to use? I know the problem is in the tailcap now because I can swap tailcaps from another minimag and it works great.

mrdctaylor

Newly Enlightened
Any suggestions? Is there anything to take apart in the tailcap? It doesn't really look like it. Also, if anyone out there has an extra minimag tailcap laying, I'd give 'em a couple of bucks for it.

DonShock

Flashlight Enthusiast
It could be that the tailcap spring has gotten compressed over time and isn't strong enough to make good contact anymore. Try pulling it out and stretching it longer again and see if this helps.

mrdctaylor

Newly Enlightened
Just bought a TerraLux end cap switch from led-replacement for $4.95 shipped. Can't beat that. It should take care of my problem.

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
mrdctaylor said:
Just bought a TerraLux end cap switch from led-replacement for $4.95 shipped. Can't beat that. It should take care of my problem.

I was looking at the TerraLux end cap also. Let me know how you like it and if it is a regular clicky or a reverse clicky.

DCFluX

Newly Enlightened
Sounds like a case of aluminum oxide build up. Try pulling out the spring from the end cap and scraping the metal surface of the tail cap a little bit, also scrape the part that makes solid contact with the frame. I would then coat the metal to spring cup with some aluminum "Ox-guard" or "No-Ox".

I had something similar happen last night an it turned out to be a diode with not enough current capibility in the LED module.