Princeton Tec Apex Cracked Housing - Photo Attached

ChiefScott1701

Newly Enlightened
I've had my Princeton Tec Apex for about 3 weeks now and I love it. It's been used all over the house, and was really handy during our recent power outage. However, I've noticed cracks in the housing (photo below). I don't remember ever dropping it, and even if I had, this would be surprising that it would be so fragile. Anybody else experienced this? See photo below:

Apex_Cracks_Post.jpg

CLHC

Flashaholic
Whoa! That's too bad. I think someone also posted about "cracks" seen on their PT.Apex housing too! Hope things work out for you. . .

LightHearted

Enlightened
PT is one of the best companies I have ever dealt with when it comes to standing behind their products. It doesn't look like the light has been abused. I'm sure if you call them they will make it right.

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the other post about cracked Apex housing was also with an orange one. The Apex was replaced by PT at once.
You might ask them if they could give you a black or OD one since both lights with this fault have been orange.

Hope this works out well for you, I love my Apex (OD) and hope there wont be any issues with it since I live in Norway and the Apex was purchased in the US...

Sverre

diggdug13

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got the black version and I've never seen any cracks or anything that resembles that and I abuse mine (and I keep mine in the car with sub freezing temps).. hmmm no hunters orange Apex for me.

I hope they can help you

ChiefScott1701

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the advice. I called Princeton Tec this afternoon and they are going to have their engineering dept look at my photo. The cracks appeared after my first long night with the Luxeon on high. It was cold that night, so maybe the temperature difference made the plastic crack. The person I spoke to said they'd probably be able to send me a new one. I requested "Black" for the new one since the other cracked housing one was also Orange. Maybe they've got a problem with their orange plastic not taking heat well?

I'll keep you all updated. If they do send me a new one without much hassle, I'll be very happy. Some companies make you spend so much hassle and time arguing for a replacement that it's not even worth it (Dell comes to mind). Well, I guess I'll be happy so long as I win the luxeon lottery and don't get a very blue Luxeon as my current unit has a really nice die. Not as nice as my Fenix L1P, but still pretty good.

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just notice what looks like a hair line crack in the thin part around the optic on my orange Apex, it's not flaking like ChiefScott's pic just a thin crack.

I gave one to my nephew for Christmas guess I need to check it out next time he's home from school.

Thanks for the pic!

Later
Kelly

ChiefScott1701

Newly Enlightened
Well, I got a response from Princeton Tec Today:

It appears that was caused by over tightening the screws inside the housing. We had a problem with the torque screwdriver we were using. The problem was fixed immediately. It looks like only a handful(if that) got out the door in that condition. I will be mailing you a replacement light along with prepaid postage to send the defective unit back to us. Since it is not a problem with any color, would you want an Orange, or Black? It will ship out first thing on Monday.

I'm happy.... very nice company to deal with. I work in a manufacturing environment and this kind of thing happens all the time. A company owning up to it and replacing the unit so easily does not happen all the time.

So should I risk it with the orange again since they say it's not orange related? I only bought orange so it would be very visible in a pile of stuff in a power outage (and it is--much more so than black). What do you all think?

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
ChiefScott1701 said:
Thanks for the advice. I called Princeton Tec this afternoon and they are going to have their engineering dept look at my photo. The cracks appeared after my first long night with the Luxeon on high. It was cold that night, so maybe the temperature difference made the plastic crack. The person I spoke to said they'd probably be able to send me a new one. I requested "Black" for the new one since the other cracked housing one was also Orange. Maybe they've got a problem with their orange plastic not taking heat well?

I'll keep you all updated. If they do send me a new one without much hassle, I'll be very happy. Some companies make you spend so much hassle and time arguing for a replacement that it's not even worth it (Dell comes to mind). Well, I guess I'll be happy so long as I win the luxeon lottery and don't get a very blue Luxeon as my current unit has a really nice die. Not as nice as my Fenix L1P, but still pretty good.

About cold issues; I've used mine (OD-colour) for hours on high at -20C and have noe cracks at all. Mine is also from the earliest batches like Sways.

A mad Norwegian is using this headlight while going to the North pole in the dark season (-40C average temp), so I would hope PT has checked if this is temperature related.
Hope your new headlamp works flawlessly.

Sverre

GrnXnham

Enlightened
ChiefScott1701 said:
So should I risk it with the orange again since they say it's not orange related? I only bought orange so it would be very visible in a pile of stuff in a power outage (and it is--much more so than black). What do you all think?
[/size]

Mine's black.

It looks cooler than the orange. Orange makes you look like a kid with a toy. Black makes you look like a bad-boy-commando. Looks is more important than practicality. Who cares if it takes you twice as long to find the black one fumbling around in the dark? At least you will look cool once you put it on! That is what is important.

Get black. :D

ChiefScott1701

Newly Enlightened
Well, during our recent power outage, I did go outside with the orange headlamp on my head. A group of neighbors laughed at me and said it looked silly. They, of course, had FREAKIN BIRTHDAY CANDLES and a few had some emergency candles.... but they were STILL CANDLES! One had a 2-D cell light that was putting out a weak dark amber light. Meanwhile, I could see well and they were making fun of me.

Anyways, I think I would have been laughed at if it was black or orange. And since the lenses aren't AR-coated, the glint of light on the lamp make being covert in black or camo a little moot. Orange is nice because it stands out among piles of STUFF that all tends to be black anyways. As long as the orange plastic is durable, I think I'll stick with orange.

vtunderground

Enlightened
Sure thing:

Apex.jpg

I don't think it's as visible with the black as with the orange, but there's definitely a star-shaped crack there.

edit: I'm kinda dissapointed about this too... I was really impressed with the design and construction of the Apex. Aside from the cracking that a few of us have experienced, PT did a very good job.

Last edited:

mrme

Enlightened
I have had a couple of PT headlamps crack on me, one was a Solo and the other a Scout. I sent the Solo in and they replaced it. I hav ebeen meaning to send in the Scout, but haven't gotten around to it.

PT headlamps are pretty tough, but the plastic they use seems to be rather notch sensitve.

CPFMan

Newly Enlightened
mrme said:
I have had a couple of PT headlamps crack on me, one was a Solo and the other a Scout. I sent the Solo in and they replaced it. I hav ebeen meaning to send in the Scout, but haven't gotten around to it.

PT headlamps are pretty tough, but the plastic they use seems to be rather notch sensitve.

Few lights?? - Seems like a alot. :nana: