Acronyms cause liquid fire!!!

skillet

Enlightened
And what does that mean you may ask.... And I'm glad you did..

I know this has been a touchy subject lately and I don't have a problem with 'em now, I presume to 'K'now what most of them mean..

So tonight, I just logged in and clicked the "New Post" button and low and behold..."APC UPS Bat*****" and here comes the liquid out the nose.. That is the fire part. Or at least that is what my ofactory cavity thought..

And why is this funny? Again, glad you asked.

For two weeks, a local restaurant, has had >>> QPC EVM <<<< on their marquee and for the life of me, I didn't see the point.... Until today and I got it. And I laughed.... A lot.. With "Billions" served, one would think they could afford more letters..

Just ramblins... but with exposure to this place, acronyms have new meaning. And I mean they are funny....

Gordon aka:skillet

Last edited:

AlphaKilo470

Newly Enlightened
This is all why I am a charter member of the organization called PASTA: People Against STupid Acronyms.

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it's funny because some computer spits out the code and the humans put up the sign without realizing that they are supposed to fluff it out with the rest of the characters.

Either that or the machines are taking over.

Don't get me started.

skillet

Enlightened
JM...

It just struck me as funny. You know, like see a cow with a paper plate in its mouth like its going to a buffet line, or the warning label on sleeping pill that says "This product could cause drowsiness"...

I like ----> "Adjusted to 'DFWI' Standards"

You know <D>on't <F>ool <W>ith <I>t...

Gordon aka:skillet

AlphaKilo470

Newly Enlightened
Two of my favorite computer industry acronyms are actual existing ones that you can probably find information about if you search Google long enough. They are:
COAST : Cache On A Stick
JBOD : Just A Bunch of Disks

I also like this made up one I got from a Dilbert comic:
TTP : The TTP Project

bindibadgi

Flashlight Enthusiast
We once had an advertisement here (it's probably been done everywhere), where a guy walks into a bank and says something about the ATM machine and the teller goes on a spiel about how that would make it an Automatic Teller Machine Machine, and then goes on to venat about all such acronyms being misused.

I read about it once in New Scientist. They called it redundant acronym syndrome, or RAS syndrome for short.

LOL

greg_in_canada

Flashlight Enthusiast
AlphaKilo470 said:
Two of my favorite computer industry acronyms are actual existing ones that you can probably find information about if you search Google long enough. They are:
COAST : Cache On A Stick
JBOD : Just A Bunch of Disks

I also like this made up one I got from a Dilbert comic:
TTP : The TTP Project

Another funny real one is POTS: plain old telephone set

Greg