4D Maglite LED dropin?

thefish

Enlightened
What is the best LED drop in for my 4D Maglite? The bulb just burned out so I figured it was a good time to make the switch to LED.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can use the TLE-5 and the PR adapter with 4 cells. Should give OUTSTANDING runtime with 4 D cells as we get about 5 hours on 2 alkaline AA cells.

Of course, you can use an EverLED in anything from 1 to 6 cells.

randyo

Enlightened
Corrected on 1-19 for accuracy:
(The TLE-5 is not rated for 3 or 4 battery usage)

I have a TLE-6N - NOT A TLE-5. It's a drop-in and it is more of a flood than a throw light. Although it works in a 2, 3, or 4 cell Mag, I keep it in a 2-cell and reserve it for inside the house usage. It's beam pattern is a perfect room flood. If you want some throw, pick up one of the 3 Watt DB-3W drop-ins and a $4.95 dummy battery (DB-3W is a 4.5V design). That gives you the "throw-monster" light AND the weight of the 3 D-cell batteries provides enough mass to maintain the 4D-Mag's head-knocking ability.

Last edited:

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
randyo said:
Corrected on 1-19 for accuracy:
(The TLE-5 is not rated for 3 or 4 battery usage)

Actually the TLE-5 is rated for 3 or 4 battery usage. The used needs to buy a PR to bipin adapter to use with a PR base light and there is one adapter that allows you to use the TLE-5 with either 2 or 3 cells and another adapter than allows it it to be used with either 3 or 4 cells.

xenopus

Newly Enlightened
thefish said:
What is the best LED drop in for my 4D Maglite? The bulb just burned out so I figured it was a good time to make the switch to LED.
Depends on what your application is -- if you switch to a UV module, or selectable white/UV, you can do all sorts of new things with your 4D Maglite :)

Piers!