Playing lights in total darkness

my name is fake

Enlightened
Im at a seaside town for work, and outside my hotel is total pitch black.

so i was working around by the beach with my KL3 & VB-16,

damn the beams are gorgeous! cuts through the black landscape like knives...

and then when point upwards towards a starless sky...

looks like two beautiful lightsabers..:wow: :rock:

too bad i dont have a camera with me...:awman:

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like fun!

I live in a populated city with lots of ambient light but my father in law has some property that's pretty much in the middle of nowhere and on an overcast night with plenty of clouds to block the sky, it is VERY dark... The perfect time to playing with lights!

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Greetings!

I do a fair amount of of travel for work through out the State of California and every once in a while end up in a wilderness area. I was in Truckee and after sunset I went for a walk in the wilderness. The trail started at the hotel. It was a cloudy night and the path went through tall trees. There was no ambient light penetrating the forest canopy. It was pitch dark. I had with me a G2 w/P61, E1L, and a Arc AA. My impressions of each:

G2 w/P61 - very similar to a L2 on high/L4. Very impressive amount of light.

EL1 - man this sucker throws when its really dark. IMHO the LED washout effect is minimized when it is pitch dark. Also the tight hot spot hurts dark adapted eyes within 20 feet. Too much glare.

Arc AA - perfect amount of light for walking.

I love the wilderness at night!!!

78CJ5

Newly Enlightened
We spend a lot of time in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area and the Quetico in Canada. Quite often we will fire up the GPS in the middle of the night and slowly drift out onto the lake not being able to see anything. There are no lights, no cabins, no powerboats. Sometimes the silence is almost as deep as the darkness.

It's pretty wild floating about for an hour and then having to use GPS to find where you started.

That is my favorite place to use a flashlight.

BobbyRS

Enlightened
The wilderness/woods is my favorite place as well. I love taking trips to the Rocky Mountains to camp. Flashlights make the night time much more enjoyable. Those times, a flashlight never leaves my hands as well as having another 3 or 4 in my pockets. When I am with my family and they all have lights, it looks like a white laser show sometimes at night.:laughing:

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I couldn't agree more with everyone on this thread. Having shear darkness in the wilderness and a flashlight is just heaven.