Ebay did me right

matt_j

Enlightened
You know when you sell stuff and you have dead bidder yet you hesitate to leave a negative feeback since you don't want negative feedback back as a retaliation? Well I sold an item and there was no response from the buyer for a whole month. I went thru ebay process of non paying bidder and still no response. After everything was over I issued a negative feedback to the buyer. I didn't want to do it since to get a negative feedback back for $50 item and sort of ruin your "reputation" might have not been worth it. I forgot about the entire thing until today. Guy was trying to issue me a negative feedback and ebay squashed it. They said that since he failed to communicate with me and them he has no right to do anything. Kinda cool since I trade on ebay evey now and than and I worked hard for my 270 positives.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good to hear they're getting some things right. Don't worry about getting a negative feedback if you can explain it. Sooner or later some goof will come along who will leave you one. No one can expect to remain clean forever.

My rating right now is 467, with two negatives (plus a third retracted) and maybe five neutrals. Two neutrals were my fault, one negative might have been, and the rest were pure BS.

magic79

Enlightened
That's great!

They must have changed their policy. I have 600 feedbacks and O N E negative. The guy never paid, and actually did answer my emails to tell me he "changed his mind". Then he told me he'd pay the relisting cost and never did, so finally I gave him a negative. He gave me a negative in retaliation, and I begged eBay to take it off but they wouldn't.

As pointed out by ABTOMAT, it's not a big deal, but since it's just one, it really irritates me...especially since the guy who left it was shortly thereafter banned!

I should email them again!

Safety1st

Enlightened
I had a really bad experience before Christmas with Ebay and PayPal...

I bought a second hand HP Ipaq handheld from a seller...for £120....GBP

The item arrived and didn't work !:huh2:

The seller maintained that it worked prior to dispatch and refused me a refund.

I contacted PayPal..who set in stone a serious of hoop and jumps for me to perform through...From getting the item examined by an 'expert', to returning it back to the seller, to faxing the report from the examiner and the proof of postage to payPal..

The only flaw, was that the Post Office didn't scan the item when it was delivered which provides an on-line reference number. Now despite the seller confirming receipt of the item and an official letter from the Royal Mail confirming safe delivery...PayPal are refusing to give me my £120 back...as they don't have an on-line tracking number to cross reference it to...

So I've lost £120 ($200), the seller has his item back (faulty or not), and PayPal have done absolutley NOTHING....:xyxgun::xyxgun::xyxgun:

So just beware when you're buying precious flashlights...the security and peace of mind you THINK you're buying by using PayPal.....just isn't there..

BE WARNED>...:mecry:

Jumpmaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry to hear that happened to you, Saftey1st...:(

The same thing happens to sellers sometimes (I had a long post typed up and then CPF crapped up, as usual...)...

The scenario is the same as yours, except the buyer (instead of an honest folk like yourself) is a lying crook -- they tell PP the item is "not significantly as described", PayPal tells them to ship it back to the seller using a trackable method. The buyer sends the seller a brick/pound of dirt/anything else and then has a tracking number in hand showing "something" was delivered.

PayPal, being satisfied the buyer has returned the item, issues the buyer a refund. Buyer ends up with the (working) item and their money. Seller has neither the item nor the money.

It's bad for both buyers and sellers. From the looks of it, PayPal doesn't have plans to change their policies to address this.

I usually will only accept PayPal from people here on CPF because of things like this.

If you funded your purchase with a credit card (and it hasn't been too long), you might be able to dispute the charge with your credit card company since PayPal denied the claim. It's worth a shot...hope you're able to get your money back. :(

JM-99

Last edited:

MScottz

Newly Enlightened
My experience hasn't been that bad. I bought a cheap item, the seller never left me any feedback and didn't communicat so I left a neutral, she retaliated and left me a Negative! It's pretty obvious when you look at it though, and she is no longer a registered user anyway.

wiredgargoyle

Newly Enlightened
I've done my share of buying and selling on EBay, using PayPal for all but one of my transactions. That one was a local buyer and he paid me when he came and picked it up.

Even though I've missed some sweet deals and some good sales, I have stuck to my policy of not dealing with anyone with less than 5 positive feedbacks and doing a good deal of verifying for anyone with 5 or so. If you take a look at what the person has bought or sold recently and who was on the other end of the transaction (and their feedback score) you can get a good idea if the scores are 'padded' or built up by phony accounts.

If someone you're dealing with has a decent score but a majority of his/her feedback is from new accounts or accounts with 1 or 2 transactions it would be a good idea to avoid them. It's sort of common sense but a good track record with good folks down the line is a sign of a fair trader. I suppose you can look at it like sex...you're having sex with every person THAT person has had sex with...