3watt single RCR123 Rechargeable Shootout

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wanna carry a brightness of a MagLite 3D in your pocket?

Either get very BIG pockets :p -
or,
look at some 3watt lights driven by a single 3.6V rechargeable Li-Ion RCR123.

I've been real impressed with the Nuwai Q3 driven by 3.6V RCR123 - I've been told with a battery voltage over the Vf of the 3watt Luxeon - the Q3 in effect becomes direct-drive - hence the spectatular brightness - as others can well attest to.

I've been eyeing the 3watt Rechargeable single RCR123 flashlights on the LightHound site - hoping they'd work the same/similar way as the Nuwai Q3 on 3.6V rechargeable RCR123.

I wrote John at LightHound.com expressing my interest in comparing these lights and he very kindly loaned me one of each for this review.

So this is a 3watt single RCR123 rechargeable shootout comparing to my control the Nuwai Q3 - I've produced 37 photos for this - so may have to split up this review into 2 or 3 parts - so be patient.

Size
3w_RCRsize.jpg

Heads
3w_RCRhds.jpg

These lights all have reverse clickies.
3w_RCRend.jpg
NuwaiQ3tail.jpg

All three of these LightHound 3w Rechargeable lights will more or less stand on their tail-ends albeit a little unsteadily, the rings and lanyard contribute to the unstable stand..

The Nuwai cannot stand on end as the clicky button covering protrudes too much.

So how bright are these on 3.6V rechargeable Li-Ion RCR123?

I used the Nuwai Q3 on RCR123 as a comparison -

Q3 RCR123 vs. V3 RCR123
V3_NuwaiRCR.jpg
V3_NuwaiRCR2U.jpg

The beams are somewhat similar - the V3 has a more distinct and perhaps brighter hotspot - so should throw a bit better - but its sidespill transition is not as smooth as the Q3 - But the V3 is about as good as the Q3 - and some might consider the V3 better.

Q3 RCR123 vs. V2 RCR123
V2_NuwaiRCR.jpg
V2_NuwaiRCR2U.jpg

the beams are different - but I feel the V2 is less bright than the Q3 and its tint is noticably cooler.

Q3 RCR123 vs. V1 RCR123
V1_NuwaiRCR.jpg
V1_NuwaiRCR2U.jpg

quite noticably less bright than the Q3, and noticably cooler tint - somewhat of a disappointment - I had the impression this might be direct-drive - so either there is a protection current limiting resistor used or the 3watt LED is simply less bright/efficient compared to that in the Q3. Note the V1 has a focussing head - and I've set for the brightest hotspot for these beamshots.

Compared to each other - head-to-head -

V3 vs V2 both RCR123
V3_V2RCR.jpg
V3_V2RCR2U.jpg

I feel the V3 is brighter and has a better beam for outdoors usage as it is more concentrated - not quite as good as the Q3's floody spot - but comparable (V3's hotspot seems brighter than the Q3 - so would probably throw better than the Q3) - V2 is more suited for indoors use since the side-spill is wider to illuminate more of a room. But overall I much prefer the V3.

V3 vs. V1 RCR123
V3_V1RCR.jpg
V3_V1RCR2U.jpg

No contest at all

For completeness V2 vs. V1 RCR123
V2_V1RCR.jpg
V2_V1RCR2U.jpg

Again not much of a contest.

These 3w rechargeable 3.6V lights are very bright and really should be shown with a more distant and practical target. I used the same stairs scene from my previous "Practical" Beamshots? thread.

Using the exact same exposure settings at ISO100, f/2.8 at 0.6secs - daylight white balance, lens set at 28mm equivalent.

Original Q3 RCR123 shot ................................... V3 RCR123
StairQ3.jpg
stairs_V3RCR.jpg

V2 RCR123 .................................................... V1 RCR123
stairs_V2RCR.jpg
stairs_V1RCR.jpg

V3 on RCR123 seems pretty comparable to the Q3 RCR123 - the hotspot of V3 is more intense - but the Q3's reticulated reflector does a much more gradual fade from hotspot to side-spill so that one can see past the open door in the stairs shot whereas despite having a brighter hotpsot -one doesn't see much of anything past the open door in the V3 shot.

Outdoors the V3 does throw better/further than the Q3.

In Part 2 I'll deal with how these lights work with regular non-rechargeable 3.0V CR123A.

Last edited:

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: 3watt single RCR123 Rechargeable Shootout - Part 2

Part 2 - using primary 3.0V CR123A

Compared to the control of Q3 on 3.6V rechargeable RCR123

Q3 RCR123 vs. V3 3.0V CR123A
V3CR_NuwaiRCR.jpg
V3CR_NuwaiRCR2U.jpg

pretty obviously less bright on the primary cell

Q3 RCR123 vs. V2 - 3.0V CR123A
V2CR_NuwaiRCR.jpg
V2CR_NuwaiRCR2U.jpg

again noticably less bright using the primary cell.

Q3 RCR123 vs. V1 3.0V CR123
V1CR_NuwaiRCR.jpg
V1CR_NuwaiRCR2U.jpg

this is a bit of a shock - I thought there may have been something wrong with this V1 -
but I guess it is a resistor (current) limited direct-drive and 3.0V is probably much below the Vf of this 3watt LED - so the very dim output.
What about the Q3 on primary 3.0V CR123A?

Q3 vs. V3 both on 3.0V CR123A
V3CR_NuwaiCR.jpg
V3CR_NuwaiCR2U.jpg

the V3 is dimmer - but see later about the actual current draw.

Compared to each other head-to-head -

V3 vs. V2 both on 3.0V CR123A
V3_V2CR.jpg
V3_V2CR2U.jpg

V3 is a bit brighter

V3 vs. V1 both on 3.0V CR123A
V3_V1CR.jpg
V3_V1CR2U.jpg

No comments

V2 vs. V1 both on 3.0V CR123A -
did you really expect me to do this?

Current draw readings all on 10A scale unless otherwise stated -

RCR123 rechargeable Li-Ion - open circuit voltages -
#1: 3.84 -3.82V
#2: 3.92- 3.91V

Primary CR123A - open circuit voltages -
#3: 2.87 - 2.92V
#4: 2.93 - 2.90V

Nuwai Q3 -
#1 = 0.82A
#2 = 0.81A
#3 = 0.62A
#4 = 0.64A

V3 3watt -
#1 = 0.68A
#2 = 0.78A
#3 = 0.05A (or 31mA on 200mA scale)
#4 = 0.06A (or 31mA on 200mA scale)

V2 3watt
#1 = 0.52A
#2 = 0.59A
#3 = 0.03A (or 19mA on 200mA scale)
#4 = 0.03A (or 19mA on 200mA scale)

V1 3watt
#1 = 0.21A
#2 = 0.22A
#3 = 3.7mA on 200mA scale
#4 = 3.3mA on 200mA scale

Part 3 will compare these 3watt single RCR123 rechargeables with some other lights........

Last edited:

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: 3watt single RCR123 Rechargeable Shootout Part 3

Part 3 - compared to some known lights -

These lights on primary 3.0V (non-rechargeable) CR123A were noticably dimmer than the Nuwai Q3 on primary CR123A -
but how dim are they?

The V3 seemed the brightest of the 3 on CR123A.

V3 CR123A vs. Fenix L1 v2.5 alkaline AA
V3CR_Fenix.jpg
V3CR_Fenix2U.jpg

so the Fenix is noticably brighter......

BUT if we put the RCR123 back into the V3 - this tell a completely different story -

V3 RCR123 vs. Fenix L1 v2.5 alkaline AA
V3_Fenix.jpg
V3_Fenix2U.jpg

the V3 on RCR123 is very bright almost in a different league to the 1watt Fenix L1.......

Here's the original stairs shot for the Fenix L1 v2.5 which is directly comparable with all the other stairs shots -
StairFenix.jpg

The V3 on CR123A seemed about the level of a 1/2watt -

V3 CR123A vs. AdvancedMart 0.5w CR2
V3CR_AdvM05CR2.jpg
V3CR_AdvM05CR2U2.jpg

similar brightness - perhaps the 1/2watt may be a bit brighter.......

However the current draw for the V3 on CR123A (see previous post) was only 50-60mA - and assuming CR123A battery's capacity at about 1500mAh(?) this should give pretty long runtimes for a light about the level of 1/2watt LEDs, with better tint........ that's actually pretty good. My guess at runtime on CR123A at between 12 to 25hours(?)

Overall I'm impressed with these 3watt single RCR123 rechargeable flashlights - with my preference going to V3 which combines really bright and useful output on RCR123, and probably very long runtimes on a primary CR123A at a practical brightness level with a projected (guessed) runtime that may approach 15-20hours(?) - pretty impressive.

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Vincent,

Thanks for this interesting post---it was obviously a lot of work. I agree with what others have said: your "staircase/real world" beamshots are some of the most helpful I've seen. Hope you'll do more in the future with additional lights.

In that vein, I wonder how a Peak CPF Special would stack up against those other 1xR123 lights? (I guess if I really wanted to know, I'd loan you mine to test....but I'm having way too much fun with it to let it out of my sight right now.)

Thanks for a great post.

Andrew

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
AFAustin wrote: "---it was obviously a lot of work."

Thank you for the kind words.

I started at just after 2PM and my 3rd and last part was posted just after 12AM.... but who's counting? :D

AFAustin wrote: " your "staircase/real world" beamshots are some of the most helpful I've seen. Hope you'll do more in the future with additional lights."

with brighter flashlights like these 3watts on RCR123 - the stairs shots make sense even if they are not strictly reproducible by others since I doubt if anyone has the exact same stairs as mine. But they help visualize the light's performance in a typical scene.

I have difficulty in setting up exactly the same for each session - as I noticed the position of the light wall switch is different to my previous session - it's not "deal breaking" but shows it is difficult to get things just right.

AFAustin wrote: "In that vein, I wonder how a Peak CPF Special would stack up against those other 1xR123 lights? (I guess if I really wanted to know, I'd loan you mine to test....but I'm having way too much fun with it to let it out of my sight right now.)"

Are you reading my mind? :p

The CPF Special was exactly the light I was thinking of when I wrote about the great brightness on RCR123, and probably really long runtime on primary CR123A with a practical brightness level (similar to a good 1/2watt)

If anyone (including Peak) wants to kindly loan me a CPF Special to compare to these 3watt single RCR123 lights please let me know soon'ish - before I have to return them to LightHound......

Last edited:

Skibane

Enlightened
EXCELLENT thread, UnkVT - and a big thanks to John for the loaner-lights!

The V3 looks like an excellent EDC prospect - With a rechargeable cell in the breach and a primary cell in reserve, seems like you'd be prepared for just about anything...

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Holy crapoly!...thanks Vincent! I just ordered a V2 with a Nano-charger and 3.6V R123As so this test couldn't be more relevent and provide more useful info for me.
I agree the V3 has the best outdoor beam and I may end up picking one up also due to your test results. But I LOVE the design of the V2 (can't wait till it arrives). I like the design more than my Q3, which I really like (tho many think it's gaudy). They weren't kidding when the sellers noted that these lights worked better on R123As. Good to know that they can provide usable output and really long run times on primaries.

Looking at the current draws, it looks like the V3 and V2 use much more efficient converters/regulators than the Q3. Much of the current drawn from the batt in a Q3 is wasted due to the cycling of the driver. Do you happen to know why (or can venture an educated guess) as to why the V3 and V2 operate at such low currents on primaries? I'm looking to modify the V2 with a Lux3 and wasn't thinking about modifying the regulation circuit, but now I might since they don't produce much light on primaries. Perhaps the regulator/converter has a really high drop out voltage and primary cells just can't meet the Vin(min) once loaded?

Thanks again for this test and great shots! I was already anxious to receive my V2, and now I'm even more anxious and feel really good about my purchase.
J.

P.S. I've read the V1 is not regulated at all, so that is likely the reasons for the test results you got.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, what I find about useful about your staircase method is it shows in real world terms, how usable the spillbeam is. I mean, lights like the the Surefire KL1 and Inova T3 are great for throw, but when you see how wide and useful something like the Q3 with an R123 is, it just sort of puts the other lights in perspective.

I always liked the way the Lighthound V2 looked though I never bought one. Might have to pick one up though it doesn't look like it would carry quite as easily as my Q3.

Have you noticed any appreciable difference in terms of runtime between three Lighthound lights?

Thanks again for all your hard work and dutiful reporting! It is appreciated.

fleshlite

Banned
I have been using RCR123 with my Q3(stock) for amost a year with no issues. So I think that they will handle it well.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lighthound has stated indirectly that Nuwai requires authorized resellers to state that rechargeable 123s are not to be used with Nuwai products but several members, myself included, have used Q3s with R123s with no issues.

So far...
evilgrin07.gif

LED BriCK

Enlightened
Sweet:sssh: I was leaning towards the 301X-3 because it's brighter, but the Q3 is just so kewl. If an RCR123 makes it closer to the 301X-3 in brightness, then I'll just go for it.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yup! I have lots of 'nicer' lights but between the brightness, huge and bright spillbeam, cheapness of operation and small form factor, my TYAK-modded Q3 on an R123 is a great bargain and a very useful light.

Two thumbs up!
icon14.gif
icon14.gif

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
LightBright wrote: "How is the Li-Ion cell protected from being discharged to less than 3.0V (below this the cell can be damaged)?"

As far as I know none of these 3watt single RCR123 lights (including the Nuwai Q3) have anything to protect the Li-Ion cells (although the inefficient circuit of the Q3 might be a blessing in disguise and may stop the light before over-discharge of the cell, but I would not bank on it).

I use UNprotected RCR123 and just watch for any noticable dimming and stop using it. That seems to be more than adequate to avoid any over-discharge.

However if one tends to use these lights unattended, or there is any possiblity of leaving the lights on for a long time - then I would probably use Protected 3.6V rechargeable RCR123 - which have built-in circuit to prevent over-discharge.

Note although they should work - the 3.0V rechargeable RCR123's will not give the spectatular performance that the 3.6V RCR123 achieve in these lights.

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ya know, I think I need a Nuwaii Q3

I've been thinking of a "beater" light to carry/use when I don't feel like risking my HDS.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I get all of my LiON cells from forum member AW. There are protected LiON cells in most sizes.