Motorcycle help

matt_j

Enlightened
I'm looking for a bike. It has to be street legal. Engine shouldnt be more that 300 cc either 2 stroke or 4 stroke. It would help to be a dirt bike or enduro type (whatever that means but that what I heard I should ask for). By any means it shouldnt be new since it will be left on the street a lot. So any ideas? I don't need speed since it will be just around the city bike.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I'm a big fan of "Enduro" bikes. These are dirt bikes that can be legally street ridden.

Way back in '80 I bought a Honda XR500 dirt bike. In '82 I bought an FT500 Street bike.

Had I split the difference and gotten an XL500 I am CERTAIN I'd still have it!

I think a 250 class street/dirt from any of the Big 4 would be good.

I don't know what else to tell you really...

MScottz

Newly Enlightened
Check your local regs, in some states, you can legally ride a dirtbike onroad if you change the tires and add lights. I believe here in Colorado that's all you need. Some states might require mirrors and turn signals, some just brake and headlights.

Jumpmaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
MScottz said:
Check your local regs, in some states, you can legally ride a dirtbike onroad if you change the tires and add lights. I believe here in Colorado that's all you need. Some states might require mirrors and turn signals, some just brake and headlights.

In Texas, they go by how it is "titled" (or not titled, as the case may be...)...

I looked...unless it's already registered as "street legal" from the factory, it's a real PITA to try to get one registered after the fact...even if you add all the extra lights, mirrors, etc. This was about 5 years ago...not sure if that's changed.

JM-99

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
And most of the true dirt bikes can't have the lights needed.

Honestly, I think Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha and Kawasaki in about that order make the best bikes. I don't know much about current models, nor a heck of a lot about older ones.

I really wish I could recommend something specific!

Moat

Enlightened
Two that I own/owned that are excellent are Kawasaki KLR250 (enduro-type) and 250 Ninja (if you don't need off-road capability). Both have been around for a long while, are well proven and bullet-proof. $1500-2000 for very good used examples. The Ninja flat rocks for a 250... handling, speed, reliability and comfort. The KLR is kickstart only, but starts very easily, regardless (I can start mine with my hand!).

Suzuki DR350 comes to mind (enduro-type), or DRZ400S for more performance (sweet bike! Probably $2800-3500 for good used ones).

First bike?

makar

Enlightened
I have a 1996 BMW F650 (Funduro). I'm very happy with ths bike. I bought my F650 new in 1996 and have about 40000 km (around 25000 miles) on it. I made nice travels with the F650 e.g. to Corsika and several tours through the Alps. It's quite easy to maintain and has a good quality. I also find it very handy in the city.
It has 48 hp and 650ccm.

pic hosted by http://www.bmwmc.dk/

A good forum for this bike is provided by the chain gang.

Marc

EDIT: Sorry, after rereading your initial post I found out you want a bike with no more than 300ccm.

jbfla

Newly Enlightened
Hi Matt,

What you may be looking for is called a "dual purpose" or "dual sport" bike.

There aren't a lot of ready-made, small displacement (under 500cc) ones:
(I know you said 300cc+, these will all do the job around town. You can change out the sprockets to adjust performance.)

Kawasaki KLR 250
Yamaha XT225
Yamaha TW200
Suzuki DR 200
Suzuki DRZ 400
(Honda doesn't make one- their smallest is a 650cc)

Converting an offroad bike to street legal isn't easy. There are kits, but they are $500 +. You need to add lights, (headlight, taillight, stoplight, turn signals) a wiring harness, battery, and charging system.

Just an idea...How about a scooter? Not too cool, but they do the job. Some of the Chinese imports aren't too expensive.

jb

Last edited:

matt_j

Enlightened
jbfla said:
Hi Matt,

Just an idea...How about a scooter? Not too cool, but they do the job. Some of the Chinese imports aren't too expensive.

jb

Yeah that was an option but people steal those like crazy.

jbfla

Newly Enlightened
matt_j said:
By any means it shouldnt be new since it will be left on the street a lot
Matt, I don't mean to offend, but I just noticed where you live....:)

Maybe you need a rat bike or "beater" bike. One so beat up, no one will want to steal it... and you'll still need a trucker's chain to attach the bike to the nearest lightpole. :)

jb

matt_j

Enlightened
Yeah that's why I wasnt planning to spend more than a 1000 on the bike. I dont need anything fancy... Most popular bikes here are scooters, choppers and crotch rockets so I figured with broken in dirt bike I can leave it on the street. I just need it for morning commute beween my base and home and occasional ride around town.