WOW, am I a babe in the (DARK) woods!

KnightStar

Newly Enlightened
A couple of weeks ago, a friend of mine blew the engine in his Surburban about 65 miles east of here (Reno NV) and after dark (which means it was really COLD). He called me to let me know he was stuck, had only a windbreaker for a jacket, and had no flashlight so he couldn't look at the engine because it was too dark. (Good prep, John.)

A couple of days before Christmas, I decided I should see if there was some kind of led flashlight I could find as a Christmas gift for him. Not knowing anything about led flashlights, I did a Google search on "led flashlight" and, among other Google search results, found this website. Within ten minutes, I knew I just didn't have the time to really browse this site right away. Since I just couldn't pass up the "joke", I found a set of M*g Lights at Costco as a Christmas gift for him.

From Thursday through Sunday, I have spent all my free time reading posts in the various forums at this website, WOW, WHAT A WEBSITE. I cannot even describe how impressed I am. The members here are really, really helpful, and I didn't find any flame posts at all.

After all my reading of posts here, I found a "signature" which was so very appropriate:
Rothrandr: "go not to the flashaholics for counsel for they will say buy this AND that" (I added the emphasis to the "and"). (ROFLMAO).

Another appropriate "signature":
Rlhess: "There wasn't enough room here so I made a WebPage about my lights."
(Thank you. Now I have some idea of how to begin my flashaholic career.)

Some of the responses I saw most often in reading the posts here in these last four days:
"Ordering a [fill in the blank] now."
"Just ordered a [fill in the blank]."
"I would love to put a [fill in the blank] in these."
"… AND you need to buy a [fill in the blank], TOO."
Man, I laughed as hard reading these posts as when I watched the movie "Captain Ron".

Of course, there was the negative part about reading these posts: I missed out on purchasing some really cool, impressive custom-built lights. Well, anyone else who will be building custom lights in the future, please email me as soon as you begin thinking about doing so.

I haven't figured out who began this forum, yet; but I thank you very much and I thank all the forum members for their helpful posts.

Steve

B@rt

Flashaholic
Hi Steve,
Welcome to CPF!
Yes we are a nice bunch...
icon15.gif
tongue.gif
Stick around and you will learn all about the motto:
Get them both!
grin.gif

CPF was started by DavidW member# 2, and is funded on a private base.
icon14.gif

Take care,

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
welcome to cpf! you sound like you will fit in great
grin.gif

you like my siggy huh? thanks! i'm sure you know where it is from
smile.gif

didn't have a flashlight huh?...i'd have left him for a couple of hours to teach him a lesson
grin.gif

what kind of mods are you interested in? i make quite a few 1w white bat-wing 3d *ag mods, if you are interested, i just finished one last night and it hasn't been used except for 10 minutes or so to make sure it is working properly...
grin.gif

oh, and you need to buy a [fill in the blank], too!

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
wit, i don't really think bart celebrates much on the fourth of july...being from the netherlands and all
grin.gif

Saaby

Flashaholic
It's Steve's first post...couldn't you let the thread go on without topic drift
wink.gif

The only thing maybe better than buying a custom light is building one...

Where to start? Well you could pick a forum and start there or you could jump in with 2 feet and hang out around the top 50 (Link at the bottom of this page) either way hold on to your wallet because it's in for quite a ride...

BY the Way...
A good light to stash in the car is the Brinkmann Legend LX (Walmart, $20) which uses 2 lithium CR123 batteries. It's a bit bulky for every day use but good for the glove box. Lithium batteries have a 10 year shelf life so you wouldn't have to worry about it working when you put it in, and then being dead when you pull it out.

Inverse Square

Newly Enlightened
Welcome! I too found this forum while looking for a LED light. Of course, I also found a name for my condition here: Flasholism. Have a seat in the circle.

2dogs

Enlightened
Welcome aboard Steve. I've only been here a few months, but it feels like more because everyone is so friendly and helpful. This place is the mothership for flashaholics. Good luck with your (my) addiction. Bill

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by V8TOYOTATRK:
Damn, I thought we had a Hot female CPF member. Welcome anyways!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">he he, i got my hopes up too.

isn't it fun being the guy to save somebodys bacon with your formerly belittled hobby.
twak.gif

on second thought, i'd leave em for 2 hours for a lesson learned too!
grin.gif

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome. For yourself and your friend consider a decent light for your keyring also. Top two contenders are Arc AAA and/or Photon [2?]. Good inexpensive way to get started on the led aspect of your addiction. At least that way you will always have a light on your person and you will be amazed at the light output when its "really dark" and you need to see.

I'll toss in my vote here for a PT Attitude for a good led starter light. Also scan the Buy/Sell/Trade forum for some deals. You will be amazed at the condition of the lights that you can get despite the fact they have been "used". Most of the members treat our lights with kit gloves.

KnightStar

Newly Enlightened
Originally posted by B@rt:
Hi Steve,
Welcome to CPF!
Yes we are a nice bunch...
icon15.gif
tongue.gif
Stick around and you will learn all about the motto:
Get them both!
grin.gif

CPF was started by DavidW member# 2, and is funded on a private base.
icon14.gif

Take care,
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">

KnightStar

Newly Enlightened
Originally posted by Rothrandir:
welcome to cpf! you sound like you will fit in great
grin.gif

you like my siggy huh? thanks! i'm sure you know where it is from
smile.gif

didn't have a flashlight huh?...i'd have left him for a couple of hours to teach him a lesson
grin.gif

what kind of mods are you interested in? i make quite a few 1w white bat-wing 3d *ag mods, if you are interested, i just finished one last night and it hasn't been used except for 10 minutes or so to make sure it is working properly...
grin.gif

oh, and you need to buy a [fill in the blank], too!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">

KnightStar

Newly Enlightened
Flood protection? The administrator has enabled flood protection? Hey, I live in Reno. We need a flood, not protection from one.
Oops. I really haven't figured out how to respond to a post correctly, yet.

Thanks, Rothramdir. I am so new to this, I have no idea what will interest me. Would you please email me some info on your mod. (White bat-wing? I am clueless on this one, LOL.)
Steve

Carpe Diem

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome aboard, Steve...

And may God have mercy on your soul!

(You`ll figure out the significance of that comment in short order.)

Best wishes to you!

smile.gif
grin.gif
smile.gif

KnightStar

Newly Enlightened
Originally posted by V8TOYOTATRK:
Damn, I thought we had a Hot female CPF member. Welcome anyways!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Jeez, with a public name of KNIGHTstar you thought I might be a female? Yer stretchin, LOL.
Hmmm, V8 toy, huh?
I have a 93 TLC with factory lockers plus ARB front bullbar bumper with 8k winch (you oughta see what THAT does to those people who parallel park in front of me using the "bump" system, heh, heh.), Old Man Umu suspension and 33" BFG Mud Terrains.
Steve