Blackout report..

Graham

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, had my first opportunity to make the most of my lights recently, when there was a blackout in the neighbourhood.

I was just sitting at my computer late at night, when everything went off. It was almost total darkness - the whole area was out, so no outside streetlights or anything.

But, not to panic. I looked around, and sure enough, the yellow Traser Glowring on my keyring was glowing happily, pointing the way to my Arc LE which lives with it. That was more than enough for me to find my way around, but to go one better I went and got my E2, and pointing that at the white ceiling was almost like having the regular light on. The combination of the Arc LE for good, sustained light, and the E2 for short bursts to light up the room worked really well.

Graham

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes sir, when you're in a dark room & your eyes are adjusted, you really get to see how much that tiny LE puts out. You're better off leaving the E2 off, as it messes up your night vision. TX

Spork

Enlightened
maybe I am weird but I have been wanting a blackout here! I have all these new lights and can't wait to show everyone how important a good flashlight is.

Grummond

Newly Enlightened
Hi chaps,
This is my first post although I've been visiting this group a few times (per day!)

Talking of black outs I can remember years ago when I was travelling through the London Tube (subway). The train stopped and we were all sat there in total darkness.
I guess a few minutes went buy and then a very strong wind started going through the carriage.
I can remember trying to think in positives although the thought did go through my mind that maybe the wind was being caused by either a fire in the line or another train coming.
I have always had a fascination with flashlights although the only light source I had on me at the time was the small light built into my digital watch to illuminate the display.
Anyway the wind subsided and eventually the power came back along with the lights and 3 minutes later we were all out in the next platform none the worst for ware.
This was not a bad or particularly disturbing experience I have never had a fear of the dark but if I did need to take definite action on that occasion (because of fire etc..) the chances are that the action I took would have killed me not being able to see anything surrounded by high voltage was never good!
It's also interesting to note that this happened in the middle of the day.
(If I got a penny every time someone said "why do you need your flashlight, we'll be back before night time?" I'd have enough to buy a Maxabeam!)
The lesson was actually lost on me as for years after I never had a flashlight as part of my personal daily carry, although today if I were in the same situation I would probably be able to arm most of the other passengers with lights.
As a minimum even around the home I always have a Photon 3 or Inova Microlight, there are some emergency situation that require you to immediately hit the main fuse leaving total power loss to the house / building and then is not the time to feel your way round in the dark to get to your flashlight even if it is a fantastic flashlight.
I would be lying through my teeth however if I said I carry them because I'm anticipating or being prepared for an emergency, the truth is I just like them.
grin.gif

Gandalf

Enlightened
The last significant blackout I lived through was back in 97. A really big storm knocked out major and minor power lines throughout the city. No electricity for 5 days. I brought all of my rechargers and nicads to work, and charged up as much as I could before going home each day. It was May, so the weather was mild, and the days fairly long. This was before I owned single LED flashlight. I owned a Magcharger, which was good for an hour (I took that to work to charge up, too). The light I used the most was one of those small fluorescent lights that use 4 AA cells. I had several sets of 4 AA nicads, but they only lasted about an hour or so in that light. It's amazing how dependant we are on electricity. Reading and listing to the radio was about about all I could do, until the power came back on.

Thinking about it, if I could have any of the lights I have now back then, I'd pick my white LED Ergo Eternalight. It puts out a good amount of light (I guess about the same as 4 Arc-AAA's) and the output is adjustable. Odds are, I wouldn't have used up a single set of alkaline batteries in the 5 nights of using the Eternalight. Things have sure changed since the white LRD was introduced!
cool.gif

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Graham:
I was just sitting at my computer late at night, when everything went off. It was almost total darkness - the whole area was out, so no outside streetlights or anything.
Graham
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Did you have a UPS (uninterupted power supply) for your computer? Next to my lights, I think that has been my best investment. It's come in handy when needed. Gives me time to check my email or finish making that post. Plus as a side benefit, the light from the monitor may help find your flashlights.

Darell

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by geepondy:
Did you have a UPS (uninterupted power supply) for your computer?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good point. I've even gone the extra step. I don't have battery backup for the computer - I use battery (solar charged) to power the computer all the time. No computer blackouts here. I also use the solar battery system to charge all my batteries (HAM radio, cell phones, power tools, flashlights - whatever). And if there isn't any sun for an extended period, I usually have a few extra Amp-hrs in my EV1 that I can borrow.

Size15's

Flashaholic
I was on a Tube that stopped in a tunnel for 20 minutes. A hot Summer lunchtime on a packed Central Line train - Standing room only. Lights, but not wind - we'd have traded light for fresh air! A woman fainted but there wasn't space for her to drop to the floor, so the people around her supported her. It was too packed to get her to a seat. Englishmen "suits" carried on reading their books with collars & ties done up. As if it's normal - which it is. You have to pay to travel by Tube by the way.

I was on a Tube that stopped in a tunnel for about 10-15 minutes, without lights. I had my E2, a couple PhotonIIs, and the M3T all on my person and my M2 and two SCs in my bag. After a couple of minutes of darkness, I got the M3T out and gave us some light. Now flashing SureFires under such conditions is not good for the mood of the people. They get uneasy. Light / no light / light / darkness... until someone said: "Keep the light on or put it away!" So I kept it on and put the lanyard round a roof mounted handle-rail and let it hang there. I think that perhaps unless the light was needed, I'd rather not do that again. I got the vibe that people would have preferred to wait in darkness rather then look at each other.

We don't usually have powerouts in the UK. Atleast not where I live. Every year or so, we have a powercut that we're not told about beforehand, and we usually don't realise until we see the video recorder blinking in the morning.

I wish I could turn out all the lights in the streets etc. That would please the local observatory. We don't get real darkness...

Al

Graham

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by geepondy:
Did you have a UPS (uninterupted power supply) for your computer? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm kind of embarassed to say no, since I look after computers and server rooms for a living...but I was at my parents place, and the PC was one I'd put together for them a while back. Didn't think it worthwhile to put a UPS there, since if I'm not there they only use it now and then for email.

I'm really impressed with those Traser Glowrings though. I've ordered about 15 of them so far, for Xmas presents and stuff, and probably will order some more soon..

Graham

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Every time lights go out, I am literally a brightest guy in town. Quartz tower light on the top of our rescue is brighter than natural sun light!!! Traffic control is a bi*ch otherwise...

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why you guys are so lucky? I have never encountered a single blackout in where I live. I think it's time to move:-(

Alan