What rechargeables for u2?

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
18650's or Pila 168A battery for the U2.

New U2's ship with a sleeve that prevents it from taking a 18650 without removing the sleeve first. There are threads on it.

The output will be a bit dimmer with a 18650 (cell in question is a LG Chem 18650 with 2400mAh capacity) but last longer and be able to be free lumens.

a99raptors

Enlightened
18650 works well for my U2. slightly diminised light output, but regulation is good, and you still get all 6 levels of light. Only problem is I had to add a metal piece between the battery and the bezel, because unlike regular SF123s, the rechargeable battery doesn't have a protrusion on the positive end. Otherwise, I think its value for money. And lets not forget the most important words to live by....

"Guilt Free Lumens!"

Pwdrkeg

Enlightened
I use the Pila 168A Li-ion 2000 mAH battery with the protected circuit.
It has to be inserted from the bezel end of the battery tube. If you
have a newer U2, the plastic sleeve has to be removed. It works
well for me with a good run time and full brightness. Sometimes the
positive contact spring has to be slightly stretched to make contact.

The U2 is a great all around light with very go throw and overall
illumination. ........................ :naughty:

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
PoliceScannerMan said:
Pila 168s, not "a"

The U2 was designed from what I hear to work with a 18650, which is the 168A equivalent in the Pila line. Surefire most likely inserted a sleeve into the new U2's because of battery rattle (possibility, assuming.)

The U2 is the only Surefire that takes the bigger size due to wider body.

Jason

Flakey

Enlightened
does anyone have a link to where i could buy the 18650 cell? i only need one right?

a99raptors

Enlightened
I just got mine from Lighthound. Great service, and they always try to answer all your questions. I have another type of DSD charger, but if yours takes 18650, then it should be fine. You also need the 1.6 mm magnetic spacer for the upper part of the battery otherwise the bezel spring might not make contact and you feel like a heart attack coming on at first....:lolsign: .

Last edited:

shooter08

Newly Enlightened
If you need a quick magnet fix for your light Radio Shack has rare earth 1/8 inch
magnets two for $1.89. The part number is 64-1895.