Best PDA Phone??

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Guys

I am in the market for a new PDA phone. Can someone recommend some? Perhaps from first hand use?

I was thinking of the O2 XDA ATOM... looks great but there have been plenty of bad reviews on it. The XDA Mini is better but apparently the camera is pretty average. Also the placement of END button is right next to the ear. The SonyEricssion P910i is an option.

Anyone have any suggestions/ideas?

FYI, I currently use a SonyEricsson T630 phone and a Palm Tunsten T2. My main uses are the Contact, Calendar and Memo features on the T2 (plus the occassional game). The main use from the T630 is the Contact feature (to look up numbers). Those are the key uses. It would be great to have one address/phone book... hence the search.

TIA

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
so if you're currently a palm user, why switch to a wince phone? Have you looked at the Treo phones? My wife got one when her last cellphone died. She uses a lot of palm software at work and spends a lot of time on her cell so it made sense to combine the 2 and she loves it.

It's a little bigger than just a phone, but as long as you dont load a lot of palm OS hacks it stays very stable. She's had no problems with it at all.

fasuto

Enlightened
Another vote for Treo.
I think there is a new model out now, Treo 700w.

I'm very happy with Palm.

Arkayne

Enlightened
After procrastinating for a year, I finally bought a Treo 650 the other day and am very happy with it. There are tons of apps for it and it's so easy to use. The 700W looks tasty but it's currently not mac compatible. Although, the new Intel macs might not be a problem. *shrug*

Anyway, I've always been a fan of the Palm OS so I vote for the Treo!

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
yes, the Mac sync program called "the missing sync" from

http://www.markspace.com/missingsync_windowsmobile.php

Doesn't yet support windows mobile 5 which runs on the treo 700, but they have already announced that they will support it shortly. I've used their previous software with a regular non-phone Wince device and it worked just great.

Has Palm said if there will be a Palm version of the 700? I have no interest in switching to wince (guess MS finally wised up to what that spelled ;) And now call it windows mobile) since all the apps I use are palm based, some exclusively.

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks guys. I'll check out the Treo and see what it is like. I have no problems in switching OS. Just as long as it does what I need, ie pretty simple stuff... calendar/diary (hot sync with computer), contacts list and can make phone calls. Camera is default these days so no biggie. Thanks again

carrot

Flashaholic
I recommend the Treo 650. I've played with quite a few of them. Very nice quality, a little big but definitely smaller than a Palm and a regular clamshell phone. I don't like that the screen is so small (I have a Palm T|X), but the keypad is *very* nice on the Treo 600 series. Better than my old Motorola T900, which I thought was fantastic, and the Treo 90's keypad.

You could also consider the T-Mobile Sidekick or RIM Blackberry.

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Treo650's camera is only 0.3MP!!! Damn. Would have been nice if it was over 1MP. It would have made the decision quicker.

dad3and3

Newly Enlightened
I can recommend the Treo first hand as well. I started with the 600 and then had a chance to upgrade to the 650. Screen and camera are a little better on the 650 plus you get BlueTooth on the 650 so it made it worth it for me. I haven't had any problems with either. I use a few Palm Apps and there are plenty to choose from. Contacts and Calander functions are really easy to synch with your desk top and Outlook if you use that program. Documents to Go is also a great help for me.

The Treo replaced my DayTimer, PalmVX and Laptop for many of my short trips. Very easy to set up multiple e-mails also so you are always in touch.

I kept my 600 as a back up and we just switch sim cards if we need to have one of the other phones in for repair.

Good luck.

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
Some things to consider

I had the Kyocera 6150??? a couple of years back until I cracked the screen then the Kyocera 7135 until I dropped it and the speaker quit working except in speaker phone mode. (You couldn't buy insurance from Alltel for those two phones, now I know why) Can you get insurance for one of the high dollar phones with your carrier might be a good question giving my problems?

I have a Motorola V710 now and got it because it syncs with Outlook with a special cable and software. It's a waste of time joke to sync with Outlook unless you have a couple of hours to straighten things out every time you sync. I won't go into it but IMO it's no all-in-one or even close. As far as the cell phone and Bluetooth features I love it.

I've talked to several people with the Treo 650 and they seem to like it very well. The camera issue won't be an issue to me until they take at least 640x480 nice resolution shots. Another bonus for the Treo is you can get Tom-Tom GPS on it. IF my current contract ever expires I plan to get a Treo or similar. I have a nice PDA but never seem to carry it. IMO the phone/PDA/GPS is a perfect solution IF you can get insurance.

panflute

Newly Enlightened
My Audiovox 5600 is an exellent phone....
does all the pda stuff, and plays full length movies...I can fit about 3 full length movies on it with a 512mb mini sd card....
its very small & looks & works well..does everything...

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for chiming in guys. Can someone suggest a place where I can get one unlocked and free of any provider locks? I am in AU and just need the phone. I've got months to go before my contract ends.

TIA :)