C2 Mod

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey guys,

This isn't anything special, but there's not much going on, so...

I have a customer send me a C2 body and one of those fat li-ion cells. What he wanted was to bore out the body to accommodate the cell and modify the forward portion of the body to accommodate an E series/Aleph head. He said that Don (McGizmo) had done it before and that it would work, so I gave it a try.

I bored the body from the back end, which I'm not wild about doing; but I had to do this because there isn't enough meat in the front end to accommodate threads for an E series head AND the fat li-ion cell.

I then whacked the very front end of the body off and turned the forward portion down enough to accommodate the 13/16-20 thread needed for the E series/Aleph heads.

I wish I could have taken some pics, but I still can't find my camera.

In anycase, this makes for a nice light. A fatty li-ion cell driving a Lux V in an Aleph III head. It's still sort of a small package and you get the added runtime of the larger li-ion cell and the ability to use E series heads.

mountaineer

Newly Enlightened
Hi Tony ,

I did the same thing to a 6P .

IMG_0700.jpg

Kenny

jtice

Flashaholic
Sounds like a cool project Chop!
Glad to see you back in the game.

I bored out my L5 body to run off 18650 cells also.

Kenny, that A3 head looks great on that 6P.

~John

wquiles

Flashaholic
Tony,

I think you might be refering to the mod that you did on my "C" series body. If so, I want to voluntarily say that the work was awesome, and with impecable quality. I will take some pictures tonight and post them because it looks and works really, really good ;)

Will

wquiles

Flashaholic
Here are the photos of the custom body Chop(Tony) just finished for me.

custom HAIII 6P by Tony on left, bored (by me) for 18650 L5 on right:
IMG_3188.JPG

close up on "E" head on 6P:
IMG_3190.JPG

tail side:
IMG_3191.JPG

here is the inner shoulder Tony added which still alows the fat 18650 to fit but gives enough metal for the "E" threads:
IMG_3193.JPG

Tony bored out so that even the protected cells from AW fit:
IMG_3194.JPG

IMG_3195.JPG

The only other custom body that I own that holds a 18650 cell and that has an "E" head is the one made recently by TranquilityBase (Scott). Note how Tony's is much shorter:
IMG_3196.JPG

Very cool mod indeed - thanks again Tony !!!

Will

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Will,

Thanks for the pics. I couldn't find my camera. The credit for this mod has to go to Don (McGizmo). It was his idea. In fact, Will contacted me saying that Don said...

Anyway, I couldn't believe how good an Aleph III head looks on that body. They look like they were meant to go together.

Scott's body looks like it has E series threads on the head and tail end. Does it break in the middle to change batts? If it does, that is probably why it's longer. Do you have to use an adapter or something for the battery to make contact?

wquiles

Flashaholic
Chop said:
Will,

Thanks for the pics. I couldn't find my camera. The credit for this mod has to go to Don (McGizmo). It was his idea. In fact, Will contacted me saying that Don said...

Anyway, I couldn't believe how good an Aleph III head looks on that body. They look like they were meant to go together.

Scott's body looks like it has E series threads on the head and tail end. Does it break in the middle to change batts? If it does, that is probably why it's longer. Do you have to use an adapter or something for the battery to make contact?
Yes, the A3 head looks like it was "designed" to fit on the wide body :D

Yes, Scott's awesome tube is "E" on both ends. It does break in the middle to change batteries, and it does use an adapter to make battery contact - most excellent guess on your part ;)

Will