i think now 64 bit cpus are a scam

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i love my 64 bit cpu but it dont seem no faster then a 32 bit cpu i was hopeing once i went to win 64 it would be faster but it dont seem faster plsu win 64 has so many things that wont run on it

carrot

Flashaholic
Very few applications make use of 64-bit processors. I'm willing to bet that the majority of applications you're running (on 64-bit Windows, you said?) are 32-bit. The biggest improvements will be in fully 64-bit programs that require a lot of number crunching and the ability to address large amounts of RAM. In a few years when 64-bit applications are more common I suspect we will see better usage of the newer processors. I'm waiting for AMD Athlon 64 X2 chips to go down in price before I make the big jump.

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's going to take time for the market to catch up, but i'd say my AMD 64 is fast enough for what I need..

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i found virtual dub 64 bit do ya think reencodeing video will be faster if i do it in win 64 with virtaul dub 64? sadly i have to capture video on win 32 cause ati mmc dont work in win 64

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I was just thinking of your 64-bit CPU the other day when I saw a sale on 64-bit mobo/CPU combos. I agree with the others here - you'll probably see a huge jump in speed when those apps get rewritten to utilize the additional address space.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
raggie33 said:
pw frys has a mother board and a amd 64 3200 for 150 .

Thanks Raggie! That's actually a tiny bit more than I saw it for locally. I was sorely tempted but I also know that there aren't a lot of apps for it yet.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
yeah i notice not much improvment ill try to edit video later useing virtaul dub 64 i also saw 2 gigs a memory for 119 or something my i remeber it costing way more sis wants new desktop

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i love computers im good at hardware but not so good at software

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
PhotonWrangler said:
I was just thinking of your 64-bit CPU the other day when I saw a sale on 64-bit mobo/CPU combos. I agree with the others here - you'll probably see a huge jump in speed when those apps get rewritten to utilize the additional address space.

I hope so too. Ragster is not the only one who's unimpressed with 64-bit computing, I am too.. and I've driven the original 64-bit system - Sun's UltraSPARC II with Solaris on 100% built-by-Sun hardware. 32-bit Intel system running similar specs (well, as similar as they could have been given the fundamental differences) and "welfare UNIX" (ie. free UNIX/workalikes/derivatives), blew its doors off.

Not much has changed since then either...

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Once programming is written specifically for 64 bit, then you will see the performance jump you are looking for. For now, the 64 bit stuff is just 32 bit made to run on 64 so major performance jumps are not there. My "64 bit" AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Socket 939 processor runs WinXP MCE 2005 and I am very happy with the performance/coolness of the CPU. Dual-core upgrade is in the works towards the end of this year but I won't upgrade to WinXP 64. Maybe sometime in 2007 or 2008 once the conversion will be simplified.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
or btw virtaul dub 64 wasnt cool at alll cause the only codecs it had was some microsoft stuff and like no compreson.i wish they would hurry up and make stuff i do think microsoft movie maker was doing 64 bit but i dont like there codecs

carrot

Flashaholic
KevinL said:
I hope so too. Ragster is not the only one who's unimpressed with 64-bit computing, I am too.. and I've driven the original 64-bit system - Sun's UltraSPARC II with Solaris on 100% built-by-Sun hardware. 32-bit Intel system running similar specs (well, as similar as they could have been given the fundamental differences) and "welfare UNIX" (ie. free UNIX/workalikes/derivatives), blew its doors off.

Not much has changed since then either...

I want a SPARC machine... mostly for the novelty of it. How cool would it be to have someone ask you what kind of processor your laptop's got, and respond, 'SPARC'?
Actually, does the SPARC architecture have any advantages over x86?

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
BentHeadTX said:
Once programming is written specifically for 64 bit, then you will see the performance jump you are looking for. For now, the 64 bit stuff is just 32 bit made to run on 64 so major performance jumps are not there. My "64 bit" AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Socket 939 processor runs WinXP MCE 2005 and I am very happy with the performance/coolness of the CPU. Dual-core upgrade is in the works towards the end of this year but I won't upgrade to WinXP 64. Maybe sometime in 2007 or 2008 once the conversion will be simplified.

... Solaris SPARC was native 64-bit... and we compiled the apps ourselves, all with their 64-bit compilers and toolkits.

I really hope the Windows experience will work out better. Performance is always nice, hype is most certainly not. The vast majority of 64-bitness right now is hype, pure and simple hype.

carrot said:
I want a SPARC machine... mostly for the novelty of it. How cool would it be to have someone ask you what kind of processor your laptop's got, and respond, 'SPARC'?
Actually, does the SPARC architecture have any advantages over x86?

Well, I would not normally recommend anything like that, but if you are looking for a web surfboard to read CPF by, it'll do. Novelty is right. Nothing that a halfbaked x86 box with welfare UNIX can't do better faster and cheaper. (guess I'm bitter, I've been let down too many times)

Get one with a cool case, at least it will look good.

Reminds me - I recently saw a SGI O2 workstation, the one with the interesting domed case. When I was a geek doing technology for technology's sake, we would have killed to have one. I saw one a few months ago for $50. I didn't take it - just a photo of it. Can't find any concievable use for it. Let not your hobby become a job, it can, uhh, RADICALLY alter your perspective on what's cool and what's not. :whistle: