What is the optimum LED for 1 x AAA?

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast
1xAAA is almost a "killer App" for LED application. It seems that on one end we have the very efficient , long running nichia CS (but are stuck with poor tint) and on the other end the Luxeon 1 watt that improves tint and brightness but at a big cost of runtime.

I'd like to know what LEDs exist somewhere in the middle.

Or just ignore the above and tell me what LED you think is primo for 1xaaa application.

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love my 3LED 1AAA Matterhorn Hi-power snow.

Durn, that's a long name, but it's a great WHITE light, good throw, sick of the nichia blue/green/yellow mottled beams. It's old school.

The Fenix LOP is brighter, but has less run time, but the Peak will stay on my keyring (along with my Fenix).

B@rt

Flashaholic
There is in my opinion no need to stick with the ugly Nichia CS led, there is no law that says you have to drive a Luxeon (or simular high power led) at spec, you can run it at a lower powerlevel :sssh: , and with the recent pricedrops the financial aspect of acquiring the led has become less important... :grin2:

paulr

Flashaholic
Luxeon isn't that great a choice for an ultra-small light because the soft dome means you need a lens, and the large size means you need a reflector or optic. 5mm leds are tougher and have their own molded optic as part of the package.

Nichias seem to handle overdrive better than the "snow"s and are maybe a tad more efficient. But yeah, that tint is annoying.