We finally get a power outage.....

MacTech

Enlightened
Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Earth, USA, New England
it's strange, here in Coastal Maine, Central Maine Power (CMP), or as *I* call them, Crappy Moronic Power, has a reputation of being unable to keep the power on during a bright sunny day, let alone inclement weather, little mini-drops are not uncommon, during the week we can have at least 10-20 momentary blips (which my UPS backups handle just fine), and typically one good (over an hour) outage per month....

however, since i've been accumulating lighting tools, we haven't had an outage of substance....

until tonight, that is, about 4 hours ago, we lost power due to a freak windstorm (30-50 MPH gusts), so i finally got to use my lights, YAAAY!!!!

the lights in question that i carried with me were;
Inova X5
SureFire 6P and G2
Fenix L1S
Princeton Tec EOS

other flashlights used;
Minimags (2 Nite Ize, 1 stock incan)

non-flashlight illumination devices used;
Coleman twin-tube flourescent lantern
UCO Candlelier candle lantern
Apple PowerBook G4 1GHz (hey, it has flourescent backlighting tubes in it, it counts ;) )

lights i used in the car, searching for the branch that caused the outage (and never found);
LuxMag (3D Mag with Sears Luxeon PR bulb)
Mag 6D

here's what i found;
the PT EOS got the most use walking around the house, to the exclusion of all the other lights, it produced enough light on low for me to walk around, lie in bed and read, and generally lighting my way

when the power first went out, i checked my 6D and found the batteries weak, so i drove down to the local Black & Decker outlet store to pick up some cheapo Dorcy D-Cell batteries for it and my Coleman lantern (the Coleman has fresh batteries, but i had no idea how long the power would be out, this *IS* CMP we're dealing with after all....)

before i left the house, i grabbed a pair of my Nite-Ize Minimags and a stock incan MM, brought them downstairs and put them on the coffee table in the kitchen, then put the incan MM in candle mode, my parents had gone out to eat before we lost power and they were bringing me back some Pad Thai (mmmm....Pad Thai....), i wanted them to be able to see the Minimags to grab them

i went to the B&D outlet store, and grabbed the batteries, then went across the street to Kittery Trading Post to pick up a Candlelier lantern, just in case we were dealing with an *extended* power outage, this *IS* CMP we're dealing with after all.... (and because candle lanterns are cool anyway)

i got home, my parents were back, and Dad was using the Nite Ize minimag, Mom had grabbed her minimag (also equipped with N.I.) and they had the oil lamps up and running, i told Dad he could keep the MM, as i have plenty of spares, and i put the other NI MM in the bathroom.....

i went upstairs, and ate dinner by the light of the Candleier, while watching the directors recut of Sin City on the PowerBook (which was still running off the UPS battery backup)

a few minutes ago, the power finally came back on, so i extinguished the Candleier, and put the lights back on the computer table, overall, pretty uneventful, the EOS was definitely the star of the outage, and saved me running down the batteries on my other lights, looks like the EOS will be my go-to light in the event of an outage

while i was outside, i decided to compare my 3 "big guns" for brightness and intensity, the Mag 6D with stock Krypton bulb, the LuxMag, and the SureFire 6P, all lights with fresh batteries, and was absolutely amazed.....

both the LuxMag and 6P had more usable light than the 6D Mag, the 6D was only *marginally* brighter than the LuxMag, however, the LuxMag had a much more usable, less artifacty beam and hotspot, the SureFire 6P was actually *brighter* than the 6D Mag, amazing, and that was on the stock P60 lamp

the only thing the 6D did better than the LuxMag and 6P was throw, the 6D had the longest throw of the 3, followed by the LuxMag, and then the 6P, however, the most *usable* light was the 6P, nicest beam and not a handful like the 6D

however, the 3D LuxMag is impressing me more and more, not only did it hold it's own against the 6D, it actually produced *usable* light out of the weak original batteries from the 6D.....

firefly99

Enlightened
Last Saturday afternoon, about 3pm, my ISP page me to inform that my office lease line was quiet. This was followed building security guard call's to inform that there was a power outage.

But when I reach office, the power had already resumed. So no chance to use my flashlights.

Found out the power outage only last 90minutes.

carrot

Flashaholic
I don't think I could do an extended power outage. My only long-running lights are a Minimag (with a Night-Ize I'd have to add, I keep the incan bulb in it normally) and an Arc-AA.

I do have 30 CR123A batteries, so if I were feeling really desperate... 15 hours of burn time on my Surefire.

MacTech

Enlightened
things i've learned from this power outage;

1; i hate CMP, they're so bloody incompetent (the roads on either side of our hill had power, think of a capital letter H, we're the horizontal line between the 2 verticals that make up the H)

2; headlamps are more useful than i originally thought
3; i can run my PowerBook for a *long* time on the UPS....
4; it's kinda' strange watching a DVD in the middle of a power outage
5; i hate CMP
6; no matter how many different types/sizes of batteries i have, it's always good to have a non-battery-powered backup source of illumination
7; that Candlelier works well as both a light source *AND* source of heat, important for power outages in the cold New England winters
8; i HATE CMP
9; candlelight is the most optically pleasing form of light, that warm orange glow, the flicker of the flame in air currents, evokes feelings of simpler times
10; candle based emergency lighting is *safer* and *easier to use* than fuel-based lamps/lanterns and is safe to use indoors, unlike propane/gasoline/white gas lanterns
11; i hate CMP
12; Uninterruptible Power Supplies (UPS's) are worth their weight in gold if you live in an area with unpredictable power
13; i hate CMP
14; having *multiple backup lighting instruments is good
15; family members will discover it's good to have a flashaholic in the house during power outages, they will suddenly appreciate all those lights they made fun of you for having, even if they don't admit it to your face
16; those same family members will never know they're using my "junk" flashlights and will never admit they secretly enjoyed it
17; these same family members will no longer hassle me for bringing home "another" flashlight
18; i hate CMP
19; there is no #19
20; see #11

oh, and i forgot to add in closing that *I HATE CMP*, I think i forgot to add that one.... ;)

carrot

Flashaholic
MacTech said:
3; i can run my PowerBook for a *long* time on the UPS....
I forgot to ask before... what kind of UPS?

I live where power is most likely not going to go out, but I've had the lights flicker on me before -- thankfully my surge protector keeps the juice steady when that happens. I'm thinking about getting one rated for... 5-10 minutes, to prevent sudden reboots.

MacTech

Enlightened
it's an 800Va APC Back-UPS Pro, i had to step up to 800Va because my G4 Mirror Door (MDD) tower would suck the old 500Va unit dry in 3 minutes

on the 800 i get around 10-12 minutes to shut the MDD down, i get at least 3.5 *HOURS* off the unit when using my PowerBook

i also have a 350Va unit powering my fish tanks power filters

i'll probably end up getting another APC with my tax refund money, get a 1200Va unit for the MDD, and move the 800 over to my home theatre to power the TV....

isn't it obvious how far i trust CMP? ;)

livingaboard

Banned
Based on your post and the 5 stars that the EOS got at Flashlightreviews I ordered an EOS from ebay last night for less than $30 shipped.

I also read many good things about it from other sources after purchasing. I think this will be a great addition to my collection.

MacTech

Enlightened
yeah, the EOS is a nice headlamp, i agree with Flashlightreviews 5 star rating, it's been my "goto" light anytime i need a good, basic walking around at night flashlight

once i get my mountain bike back on the road come springtime, i'll be using the EOS as a helmet light as well for night rides....

i think you'll be quite happy with it, and with 44 hours runtime on low, i haven't even begun to scratch the battery capacity

wmirag

Enlightened
We've had a lot of power problems this past week here in the northern suburbs of New York City. Official wind speeds were up to 72mph. I personally saw several 70+ foot trees hanging on power lines. Many of my neighbors were down for 3 days solid. We had scores of hits but only one 5 hour and one 12 hour outage. Thankfully it was a very warm week.

I put an Infinity Ultra in each kids room to keep the monsters at bay. The wife used a 2AA mag with 3LED drop in -- its flood is perfect for indoor use. And I used my HDS EDC. Add a Coleman 8D and it's no problem at all - except we can't flush the damned toilets! I learned this: on windy nights, fill a bathtub with cold water BEFORE you lose power -- you can bucket the water into the toilet reservoir and flush like royalty!

I have 3 UPS's to protect the electronics and a small inverter generator to keep my office going -- all were very effective last week.

MOST SATISFYING were the reports from SEVERAL of my friends for whom I bought Jil DD's. This was their first trial-by-fire and they were quite amazed at how well that little light served them. And so our "sickness" spreads!

W.

vtunderground

Enlightened
I had a six-hour power outage last month. My Lux-III Mag in candle mode lit up my living room and kitchen, while a UK Vectra pointed at the ceiling provided plenty of light for the bedroom. However, power outages can be incredibly boring when you live alone, so I just ended up grabbing my EOS and going for a night hike. Power came back as soon as I got home.