mag mm mod question

maglite

Newly Enlightened
hi all, im new here. this is my first post. i never knew there were other people like me, with such a fascination for flashlights. anyway, i am going to build a sandwich for a aa mag.

the thing is am most concerned with is brightness. i also want to be able to use non-rechargeable batteries. i will mostly use lith batts, but the option to use alkaline would be nice. i want a converter that will provide full regulation. i.e. it will draqin teh batteries and provide constant brightness over the life of the batteries. other than that, i am not worried about run time.

as of now, i am thinking a BB400/BB500 board with a TxxL lux. any suggestions?

how about fraen lp vs. ims reflector vs. modified stock reflector? i am more concerned with flood than throw, but some throw would ne nice.

any suggestions as to where to buy supplies?? the sandwich shop is the only place i can find that has leds. mabye a sticky thread with links to sites that provide supplies would be nice. (hint hint mods ;) )

i'm new to the whole mod scene, but im learning. i have lots of plans as soon as i get the money... thanks in advance!

Last edited:

ZuluWhiskeyFox

Enlightened
For your emitter selection you might consider one with a much lower vf such as say TxxH. You'll do much better in the runtime department. This will really pay off when using alkalines. A good source for Luxeons is right here on CPF. Look in the BST forums for postings by Photonfanatic. I may have the spelling wrong. He often has a good selection at reasonable prices. My personl feellings on optics vs reflector debate is for an IMS20*** reflector. It will take some filing and fitting to squeeze it in however. Once in, it will work great.

Another option is to go with a pill from Lambda. He puts together a great kit with all you'll need to mod a mag. You'll need to get a lux and the host. The mini-Pro kit is a screamer. Some of the soldering in this kit is pretty small. Not for shaky hands or larger soldering irons. http://home.mchsi.com/~lambda_lights/index.htm

cheers,
zwf

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
My mini mag is setup with a NexGen 700 (actually 667mA) with a McR20 reflector. It performs very nicely and gives decent runtimes for such a bright light. I'd go with either an H or J Vf luxeon. Either will give you good runtimes.

maglite

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies everyone. For the price of a good mod, I can buy a L2P or something... Still, there is something about modding my trusty old mag that has been there for me all those times that I can't resist. I'll post pics once I get it done. I'll get a new name, don't want to make anyone mad.