So Surefires are waterproof?

iamerror

Enlightened
From flashlightreviews.com (great site) it says:
UPDATE: Surefire has affirmed that all current Surefire lights should be waterproof to about 33 feet/10 meters. Some reviews were posted before Surefire made the affirmation that their lights were watertight to 1 atmosphere depth. Any new Surefire lights you purchase now should be considered waterproof to 33 feet/10 meters.

So this is for every single Surefire, and does your Surefire have to be turned off to fall in water and not become damaged? And I could not find anywhere where Surefire talks about water resistance on their site?

(By the way, thanks again for the great forum, I have been really been getting into flashlights since I joined, I am especially interested in lights from Inova, Princeton Tec, and Surefire)

CLHC

Flashaholic
I've dropped my SF.M3 in a puddle of water (on greens) and of course picked it up straightaway. No problems, just shook the water off. Not that I was going to leave it there to see if there would be seepage. . .

Also, Welcome to CPF!

a99raptors

Enlightened
Hi!

Some Surefire models come with an additional groove for an O-ring on both the bezel and the tailcap end of the body. I have added O-rings to them, and they should give even better water proofing qualities. (Much like the M series of Surefire lights).

carrot

Flashaholic
All of them are supposed to be watertight to 33 feet or so, but the M series lights is especially waterproof because of the double o-rings for the tailcap. You can add a second o-ring to most of Surefire's lights, and if you keep it well-lubed it should be watertight. If i were going for a swim and I could choose any Surefire to take along (I go snorkeling), I'd take an M series because Surefire designed them for (even more) improved water resistance, especially when turning the tailcap.

iamerror

Enlightened
Nice replies... I did not realize the Millennium Series flashlights were more water resistant than other Surefires.

Ras_Thavas

Enlightened
Older surefires (specifically, the old 6 models from the late 1980's) are only waterproof if you don't use the push button on the tail cap.

Found that out when I took one snorkeling with me. Using the push button it filled with water. After drying it off and replacing the batteries it was watertight as long as I rotated the endcap to activate the light.

They have changed the design of the endcaps, so I assume using the endcap switch underwater is no longer a problem.

AlexSchira

Enlightened
In that sense, how would I go about adding a second set of rings to an E2E? What size ring would work? I see here is a little space to work with on the bezel end, but the tailcap ring is somewhat thicker and doesn't look like it would allow a second.

a99raptors

Enlightened
AlexSchira said:
In that sense, how would I go about adding a second set of rings to an E2E? What size ring would work? I see here is a little space to work with on the bezel end, but the tailcap ring is somewhat thicker and doesn't look like it would allow a second.

I tried to do something similar to the E2D. I don't think it can be done, or at least I don't have a small enough O-ring. Anyway, I just use it as it is, worry free, small and factory specs....

Going to play and mod my G2 though.........:)

nc987

Enlightened
If i were going for a swim and I could choose any Surefire to take along (I go snorkeling), I'd take an M series because Surefire designed them for (even more) improved water resistance, especially when turning the tailcap.

Why not take a 6PN? Its a Surefire 6p dive light rated to depths of over 100 feet. If your going to take a SureFire underwater might as well take one that designed for that type of use.

carrot

Flashaholic
nc987 said:
Why not take a 6PN? Its a Surefire 6p dive light rated to depths of over 100 feet. If your going to take a SureFire underwater might as well take one that designed for that type of use.
I've never seen this model... do they still offer it?

Anyhow, I just tested my G2 in the shower to see if it really is watertight... twisting the tailcap and such. Didn't find any water inside when I took it out. Created this awesome lightsaber effect in the steam, too.

noobinator

Newly Enlightened
i have never had any problems in the rain or such... but i have another related question. how do they get the safe depth footage for a light? i mean, if you take it 34 feet, will it implode? lol, i know that wont happen, but im still curious

KSH92474

Newly Enlightened
can you double up on O-rings on the Fenix L1P as well? i see that theres an extra groove there next to the other o-ring and comes with extra o-rings. has anyone tried it?

nc987

Enlightened
The SureFire 6PN is still available as far as I know, i have a contact on a new one if anyones interested.

The Safe depth rating is usually rated to what depth you can operate the flashlight at. Alot of SureFires will probably light up at deeper depths than they are rated but you might be able to turn them off via clickie because of the pressure or the seal around the glass could start to leak.

Newly Enlightened
noobinator,
33 feet is standard measure when it comes to water. It is used in multiples, 33, 66, 99, etc. It has something to do with pressure. At 33 feet the pressure doubles, at 66 it quadrouples, 99 it is 16 times the normal surface pressure. (the 16 x may be off, My math brain isn't functioning right now but it increased exponentionally)

My question is what exactly happens when things inside get wet. I don't care if my batteries or bulb get wet just so they light up. Obviously you would have to dry it out but will the lights still work?

AngelEyes

Newly Enlightened
250 said:
noobinator,
33 feet is standard measure when it comes to water. It is used in multiples, 33, 66, 99, etc. It has something to do with pressure. At 33 feet the pressure doubles, at 66 it quadrouples, 99 it is 16 times the normal surface pressure. (the 16 x may be off, My math brain isn't functioning right now but it increased exponentionally)

I thought it was because its measured in metric. ie. 10 metres, 20 metres, etc.

photo2000a

Newly Enlightened
i always wondered how my L2 can be waterproff i normally leave it ''off' which is loose ie untwisted so how can that keep water out??

i understand when it's ''on' twisted down tight but it seems counter intutitive wouldn't the water work around the threads?? when 'off'?

i dunno

Cornkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
YES

Consider this:

Last year during the Summer my scout troop went to Ely, Minnesota for some canoeing. During most of the journey, my L2 (Which I hang off my beltbuckle \With lanyard\) was either completely submersed or drenched.

Anyway, I was playing around with it (Shining at fish under the water) completely submering the light and there was no problem for the entire length of the trip of 4 days.

YES there is no problem with swimming with the L2.
-tom