Did the Fenix L0p replaced your ARC-p?

GhostReaction

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ve just recieved my Fenix L0p and the little light is rockin! :rock:
I have 3 ARC-p rev4 and always had 1 in my jeans pocket everywhere, anywhere I go. But now the L0p earned the spot in my pocket

Before the ARC there was Aunoc AAAA in my life, seems bright, but totally upset with the twisty switch :rant: (aunoc is now just another shelf queen and occasionally a nice shiny toothpick)

As to why the L0p replaced my ARC:

1)Brighter! Now after using the Fenix L0p it seems that the ARC seems to get dimmer all of a sudden.
2)The L0p could even stand on tail for nice candle mode!
3)The overall spill of the L0p is definately more superior than ARC-p.
4)The L0p is more efficient as an outdoor light due to its better throw
5)Runtime does seem shorter but will work great with NiMH
6)I could twist the fenix on with one hand either from the head and even the tail (while holding it like you would hold a surefire)
7)It feels just as small like the ARC when its in the pockets
8)Have a lens, so no dust getting on the reflector
9)Now could be modded to a 2 stage by MillerMod for long runtime on low.

Arc and fenix Lop side by side

Arc aaa on left Fenix Lop on the right, at 1m away from a beige wall, dimly lighted room. Both loaded with fresh Energizer Lithium AAA

1m to dark brown carpet, daylight, drawn curtain room.

flat on carpet.

Arc aaa tucked in and cliped to pocket. (sorry pic unrotated)

Fenix Lop tucked in and cliped to pocket (pic unrotated)

However one would never go wrong having both lights at the same time!
I m not against ARC here and still use it. Do share your opinions here regardless if you are with me, or against my views.:touche:

Last edited:

randyo

Enlightened
I'm pretty sure my L0P (if it EVER arrives :rant: ) will reside in my Nite-ize phone pouch where my ARC currently rides. Whether or not the displaced ARC displaces the Matterhorn hanging my keychain remains to be seen. I prefer the Matterhorn in just about every respect, EXCEPT that the ARC head is easier to turn using only one hand. Tough call - I luv 'em all. :awman:

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, it did. Partially because of the brightness. Mostly because it has a lens so I don't have to clean out the reflector every 2 hours.

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the Fenix L0p a lot and am very impressed but the light will not replace my Arc.

I view a keychain light as an emergency light as well as a light that is handy when I need it. The Arc produces enough light for what I use a keychain light for so when I think about your main question about will the light replace my Arc I look at other factors to.

The biggest issue I have with the LOP as a Keychain light is RUN TIME. Now if you could get the L0p to run for two to three hours and still be brighter then the ARC then it would be no contest. In another post I read that within thirty minutes the L0p is actually dimmer then the Arc. I haven't tested that yet but I believe it because after playing with mine for a while it is already dimmer then my Arc. That is actually not that big of a deal unless you find yourself in a situation that you need long term light and you don't have spare batteries. I would hate to be in a cave a few miles back and lose my primary an have to rely on the L0p to get me out. I also love to camp and when I go camping I may run my Arc for up to an hour a night. Half the night the L0p would be brighter and the other half the Arc would be if you were using the same battery. But on the other hand if I worked in a factory where I needed a very small, bright, and white pocket light and I had access to a battery recharger then I would go with the L0p. Everyone's situation will be different.

I am very impressed with the L0p and I do not regret buying it. There are several applications where the L0p would be a better fit but for me that fit is not as my primary keychain light.

Last edited:

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
No it did not.

The L0P is brighter, whitier, and just a hair bigger than my Arc AAA Rev 2.5 LE. The L0P does suffer in the runtime department. The fit and finish and not bad, but the Arc AAA has better threads (when I was threading the Fenix I was scared of mis-threading it.)

CR2 Ion by CPF member Endeavour will replace my Arc AAA :)

Ray_of_Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is not possible that a L0P can replace the Arc-AAA. May be they complement each other, but replace, no.
The six hours of runtime of Arc-AAA is the key. I managed to have an Arc AAA ver 4.0, but I do EDC an Arc AAA LE since the beginning of the 2003 and found it to be superior as all-purpose EDC.
I have some L0Ps in the mail, and I believe that, with less than one hour of runtime, they are perfect to run with a Ni-MH. The L0P is not intended for all-purpose EDC. Based on experience, I know that during an emergency - runtime is more important than brightness.
An effective dual-stage switch may change this.
In any case, the Arc AAA is the smallest a light can be for a light powered from an AAA cell, and this is of extreme importance for "neck EDC".

Anthony

Erasmus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I carry both at the moment. I have my L0P for a few days and I really like it. When I have both for a while on my keychain, I will decide which one will stay. It'll probably be the L0P due to the higher brightness, sidespill, and nice white color.

Deanster

Enlightened
One of the very few things that I really insist on in a keychain light is a long 'tail' of light - if it's the only light that I actually have on my person (as is often the case), I really need it to last a long time if needed.

My JIL DD is a fave due to a bright performance up front, and long tail, but the Arc AAA is one of the best lights out there for a long runtime - I'd love a L0P, but the price is high, and the runtime short, and thus it's not the right combination of features for my keychain.

Several times now, I've used an Arc AAA or AA as a nightlight in an otherwise pitch-black location - turn it on, point it at the ceiling, and it's still running in the morning... very valuable to me.

All that said, there have probably been 1000 times when I've turned on my ArcAAA, and been annoyed that it wasn't bright enough to illuminate something a few feet away, or with any ambient light at all... but I've now got all kinds of lights to handle the 'not bright enough' problem - only a few are really long-running!

ledled

Newly Enlightened
LOP replaces my ARC LS on keychain, not ARC AAA, (not as bright, but a lot smaller & uses cheap battery).

heathah

Newly Enlightened
The L0P didn't replace my ARC AAA-P but it does make a nice pocket buddy for the ARC. :) They seem to complement each other nicely.

D@rk Messenger

Enlightened
The pacific 1w aaa on lithiums might replace the arc.:devil: Still can't beat the fenix on brightness though :( , eventhough it blows it away on runtime:dedhorse: !

GhostReaction

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like the title said; the L0p sure does replace my ARC from the PockeT, espescially after yesterday fisihing trip. L0p is brighter and better outdoor anytime than the ARC.

HOWEVER, I totally agree with some of you guys from this thread. One could never live with the comfort and assurance from the ARC.

So, am I still firm on my opening post in this thread??

You bet I am; L0p kick the butt of my ARC-p out from my pocket. Now the
ARC reside on a lanyard around my neck, always.

GhostReaction

Flashlight Enthusiast
heathah said:
The L0P didn't replace my ARC AAA-P but it does make a nice pocket buddy for the ARC. :) They seem to complement each other nicely.

Hmm... If only *Goldserve* could cook up his usual magic and do something to the L0p perhaps.
ARC-p brightness and runtime on low and a further twist boost it up to a Fenix Bright. Now, wouldnt that be sweet?

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not yet. In fact I just got a new regular Arc as backup for my 2+ year old AAA. Even if I do get the LOP I'm not sure if the Arc will be displaced. The Arc's reliability and long RT are the reason it's my EDC and I almost always carry another light on my belt or in a pocket.

Still...the LOP really intreagues me and my wife keeps buying shoes and clothes and...I'm a Flashoholic, so I'll probably end up with one. After owning an LOP I may change my mind and replace the Arc.

Yooper

Enlightened
I received my first ARC AAA-P two days after my L0P, and the ARC has replaced the L0P on my keychain. I love the L0P and it blows the ARC away with its ideal beam and brightness, but it's a little too big for me for keychain carry. I put the L0P on my "small tool ring" with the small SAK and the Colibri lighter that I carry in the pocket opposite my keychain. Of course there is almost always an L1P or L2P on my belt or in my jacket pocket, or both, so the small pocket lights are usually backup/emergency lights, which is fine.

7k7k99

Newly Enlightened
no but it did replace the L1P I had on my keychain -- I know the L1P was a bit bulky, but I liked it and now the L0P has that cherished place. Very impressive light

nightshade

Enlightened
Nope...the Arc AAA still has a proven track record of withstanding my abuse, and much more nicer threads. For me its another "flavor of the month" light. But, time and mileage will tell. :popcorn: