never ever eat over 1 lb of dry beans

raggie33

*the raggedier*
so yesterday i made dry beans suop ya know witht he dry beans ya coook for long time well i made it and ya know with the water it makes a lot a soup prpbaly like 3 lbs i guess i aint sure but they sure grow after water well i then decided i wanted to make spilt pea soup so i had to finssh all the other suop first so i aite all that soup today o boy was that amistake stomach hurts so bad lol i wonder about my slef somedays and now i have to eat the gree n pea soup but lol i wont eats it all in a day but it sure turnbed out good i used a real ham bone and dry spilt peas

cosine

Newly Enlightened
Split pea soup... mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm good.

Real ham, ahh, it gets better.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
Lightmeup said:
What type of beans did you use? Navy, Great Northern, Lima, Butter, Black, or ?
i dont know there sold in a pack that says 15 bean mix

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
15 bean soup...oh YEAH, we made that yesterday with some smoked ham hocks. Took the hocks out and cut up some smoked sausage, threw it in - Yep, GOOD stuff (but we only use 1 lb bag of beans) - fed 4 people and have enough to feed em' all again today!

Wish we'd have made cornbread to go with it yesterday - we will today! Also had a real good spinach salad with the soup!

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened
Coming home from Florida, many years ago, the kids and I stopped at a roadside stand, on the Eastern Shore, of Maryland. Bought a smoked ham. Didn't realize what I had bought, until after we got home. It was like a large rock! Decided the best thing to do, was chip off enough, every few days, to make some homemade split pea soup. Best darned split pea soup we every had. That rock hard ham lasted the rest of the summer, and into the fall.

oldgrandpajack

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
better leave the windows open a bit so you dont blow them out! avoid sparks and flames!:)

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
OMG! That reminds me of a very amusing incident from my college days. I lived in a co-op kind of dorm at one point, where we ordered and cooked our own food. We took turns doing that, or doing cleaning tasks, or whatever.

Anyway, many of the "cooks" were *cough* less than experienced, and in one case, one group of them decided to make chili from dried beans: ONE HOUR BEFORE MEAL TIME! So of course, the beans weren't cooked yet and were CRUNCHY when served.

I don't know who to laugh at more: those who thought that 1 hr was enough time to cook dried beans (no pre-soaking, either), or those who ate full servings of crunchy bean chili! There were a lot of people with stomach aches and very, very bad, very potent gas that night.

Ahh. Good stuff.

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
Raggie
fing25.gif

You crack me up
laughing_to_death.gif

With all the techno mumbo jumbo that goes on around here it's great to get a good laugh now and then.