What size resistor for a two stage L4 tailcap?

fire-stick

Enlightened
On low mode I'd like a minimal amount of light, just enough to walk up the steps, put the key in the door, and make non-retina-scorching midnight trips to the bathroom. I'm guessing 5 lumens would be plenty.. But what size resistor do I need? They make 15,22,30 and 60ohm resistor tailcaps. Would 60 ohms be too much?

Thanks

Scott

Ivanhoe

Newly Enlightened
I bought both the 22 and 60 for my l4. I ended up using the 60. I wanted minimum output for the late night trek through the house and it is great IMO. The 22 is good too, but quite a bit brighter. The PCB's are very cheap so it is easy to add a couple to your order for mimimal cost. They are easy to change out.

Hope this helps.

lightwait

Newly Enlightened
Like Ivanhoe said, you could order some extra resistor boards for the tailcap. Or you could go to RadioShack and buy a 5 pk of 15 or 22 ohm resistors. Take the tailcap off and short the battery to the case through the resistors. Put them in series to increase the resistance. Four 15 ohms in series will give you 60 ohms, or three 22 ohms will give you 66. Try it, see how you like the brightness, then order the value that works for you. You can put the resistors in parallel too if you want to see how lower resistances would look. Two 22's will give you 11 ohms, 3 in series will give 7.33 ohms. So one pack of resistors will allow you to see a range brightness's for $1. -Nick

fire-stick

Enlightened
lightwait said:
Like Ivanhoe said, you could order some extra resistor boards for the tailcap. Or you could go to RadioShack and buy a 5 pk of 15 or 22 ohm resistors. Take the tailcap off and short the battery to the case through the resistors. Put them in series to increase the resistance. Four 15 ohms in series will give you 60 ohms, or three 22 ohms will give you 66. Try it, see how you like the brightness, then order the value that works for you. You can put the resistors in parallel too if you want to see how lower resistances would look. Two 22's will give you 11 ohms, 3 in series will give 7.33 ohms. So one pack of resistors will allow you to see a range brightness's for $1. -Nick

:wow: Great Idea :wow: