3W module: BOG/G&P vs. Emilion's 3W/1W models

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPF is overdue in starting a thread comparing the BOG/G&P 3W LED module with Emilion's. Now that Emilion has introduced a premium version, it's time we did.

I have Emilion's original 3W/1W module. It can work from voltages from 3V to 10V. But regulation works only at 4.3V and above.

As shipped, the module arrived set to 1W. At this setting, the beam was unacceptably blue and weak. The switch is VERY tiny and well-hidden; I couldn't figure out how to change it to 3W, but my coworker managed to do so by accident.

I drove the 3W in a single-168B cell and was not impressed. The light looked too blue and too weak.

But last night my neighborhood "enjoyed" a blackout. I popped the 3W/1W module into a 2x168B light. Wow, what a difference! Much brighter, much whiter. A pleasure to use, even for this hotwire.

Now Emilion is offering a second 3W/1W module. It uses an improved Nxxgxx circuit. Output is rated about 10 percent higher. The voltage range is unclear; the listing says 2.4 to 4.2V, but the descriptions says that it can replace a G90.

I have no experience with the BOG/G&P 3W module. If any North Ameican BOG/G&P owner wishes to volunteer to compare that module to mine and post beam shots, I'll mail you my 3W/1W for a couple weeks. I'll do the same if any North American wishes to compare my module to Emilion's premium module.

adharvey

Newly Enlightened
I thought this would be hot too.

I bought one of emilions 3w models, it was great, but I couldn't help myself, it is now direct drive and sitting in my Z2.

Does anyody know who makes the ultrafire 3w modules?

markk

Newly Enlightened
I recently got one of Emilion's 1W/3W modules. I put it in my yellow G2 and use 2xRCR123A batteries. NICE!!! great tint, long throw, great beam quality, and free lumens.

I don't have a BOG so I can't offer a direct comparison. What I can say, though, is that it throws a bit farther than my L1 and the beam quality and tint are far better than my Peak CPF 2005. I can also say that the beam/spill combination is very much the opposite of a KL4. Overall, it's something like a very white P61 with a bit less spill.