Jil 1.3 or Jil DD ?

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello,

I plan on getting this light and getting a FluPic drop in for it... What are the advantages / (pros and cons) to the dd or the regulation version?

is the DD brighter on full? do either take li-ion or do you need to have the FluPic to run it...

Any other differnces between the two? Does the DD start out brighter but last longer slowly dimming as the 1.3 just is regulated at a good brightness but for less overall runtime?

Thanks!

goldserve

Flashlight Enthusiast
You've basically got everything figured out. The 1.3W is just regulated and trades regulation for runtime while the DD just starts off and diminishes in brightness.

The JIL DD is much shorter than the 1.3W which is welcomed on the keychain.

Cheers!

onthebeam

Enlightened
I auditioned the 1.3 and DD both side by side before settling on the 1.3. If you don't go with the FluPic upgrade, the 1.3 is quite a bit brighter. The DD has longer runtime.

I very much like and prefer the 1.3s slightly longer length--just think it's more usuable without fumbling. And my hands arent' that big. Both are absolutely tiny!!! Just disappears in the pocket.

Perhaps Goldserve could answer this one--does the DD become brighter than the 1.3 if both are converted to FluPic module?

goldserve

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the DD module was fitted with the flupic module and ran with RCR2s, yes it will be MUCH brighter in burst or maximum brightness mode. The led is driven at around 800ma and 500ma respectively, when compared to the 1.3W being driven at around 350ma (I believe).

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with the posts above and would like to add a bit.

The DD can use LiON if T__J vf and totaly blows away the 1.3

The DD with Primary is not as bright as 1.3 but has a lot longer runtime. about 20hrs IIRC

AW now has protected CR2 LiON batteries.

My personal opinion is the DD LiON setup is my fave. I'm currently running my new chrome Jil DD UP with LiON and it's very nice and very useful on my keychain.

I will be modding one of my Jillies with a Goldserve FluPIC when it arrives.

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
so is the Jil Intelli just a DD w/ a FluPIC?

What is the best Vf to get for a DD? J or H? etc? If possible I want to be able to run a CR2 and a li-ion in either the a stock DD or a DD w/ FluPIC... which Vf gives me more ways of running my light...

Since I've never seen a Jil in real life... i'm assuming the LED pops/drops out of it... then you insert you new sandwitch?

I think I have decided on the DD... it is shorter and I like that... Also since I will have this on my keychain... I like the idea of it being a longer running dimmer light like my arc aaa p...

Thanks guys for all your insight and help!

Jared

Last edited:

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have seen a TXOH bin Luxeon3 allow 350 milliamps from a "3 volt" cr123 in direct drive.
Coming from a 700mah 3 volt cr2 battery;
That works out to around, 2 hours of good runtime.

goldserve

Flashlight Enthusiast
jar3ds said:
so is the Jil Intelli just a DD w/ a FluPIC?

Jared

Correct. You can pop out the emitter board and drop in a flupic sandwhich into the JIL DD host. You can't just put in any sandwhich because there is almost no space in the Jil DD, the flupic module has been designed for the JIL DD.

Cheers!

procure

Newly Enlightened
Where's the best place to buy a JIL? I see that Lighthound has them, and I've also seen a thread floating around somewhere where you can order them directly from Korea, I think. Any other places?

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm looking into getting a Jil DD also. I'd actually like to get an Intelli, but can't afford it and really don't need so many modes and options (just a simple 2-stage is fine for me).
I know the DD is brighter on RCR2s, but how long does it last? Still 10-20hrs? I saw the lux readings of the DD and 1.3W on coneheads' site and the DD is considerably dimmer with primaries, so I'd like it to be brighter (hence the RCR2), but would still like the great run time.
Thanks.
J.

lrp

Flashlight Enthusiast
Procure....you can buy one from Goldserve and I can personally highly recommend him as I have purchased one!!

Lite

Newly Enlightened
procure said:
Where's the best place to buy a JIL? I see that Lighthound has them, and I've also seen a thread floating around somewhere where you can order them directly from Korea, I think. Any other places?

I just bought my Jil Intelli from Jil-Lite's web page directly. I have received today confirmation that it has shipped with EMS tracking number - just trying to be patient now. :whistle:
I am a newbie...If I had known there was a CPF member selling, I would have preferred to by from that person...sorry.
I'll let you know my thoughts when I receive it.

Lite

Deanster

Enlightened
Jil DD is, IMHO, just about the perfect keychain light - nice brightness, long runtime, small enough that I don't mind having it on the keychain (and this from someone who thinks the ArcAAA is too bulky).

Jil 1.3 is much better for 'real' use, though - brighter on primaries, and enough bigger that it's pleasant to hold - the DD is almost too petite to handle comfortably.

One of each is a great choice!

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
Personally, I find the the Jils' diameter to be more bulky/awkward on a keychain than the slimmer-but-longer Arc AAA. Just a matter of opinion though.

I'll also be a voice of dissent in support of the Jil DD (yet understand that I have no experience with or knowlege of the flupic mod). The DD starts off brighter for an hour or so and then dims- but it doesn't keep dimming like you may be thinking. Rather, it goes into a VERY LONG flat "tail" for over 20 HOURS on a single disposable CR2 cell (this_is_nascar left his on for several nights in a row, and it was still putting out useful light after over 30 hours)! The amount of light it is putting out through this period is greater than your average 5mm light! I'd guess around 4-5 lumens. Of course, the beam is much nicer and the tint much more pleasant than a 5mm light as well. Its truly an ideal output for closeup work and reading, and the incredible runtime makes it very cheap to run in spite of the "weird" batteries. I've had mine since the beginning of last summer and have used it many times, reading and camping (it is more than bright enough in total dark) and I'm still on the first battery.

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone know the runtime of the DD on RCR2 rechargables?

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lite: if you didn't know what he was refering to (i think i may)...

Phaserburn stated that 4.2v in a direct drive setup will cause the Lux to be overran... It would get very hot and shorten the life of the LED...

goldserve pointed out that the orb raw is a U bin LuxIII that is DD'd by a 4.2v li-ion... runtime would be very short

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've read of others running the DD on a LiIon w/o any problems as long as you get the TxxJ bin for the higher VF. Off the charger, it's 4.2V, but it does drop and sag over time so that it's only overdriving the LED near the beginning (don't know for how long). After which, the voltage drops to 3.6V and drives the Lux right about it's VF operating point. Many of the modded and custom lights drive their Lux3s at 1A where the VF will definitely be higher than that rated at 700mA and have no problems. I'd rather use RCR2s for both cost savings and because the 3V (probably around 2.6-2.7V loaded) of the primary CR2 is greatly underdriving the Lux3. If the runtime is still quite long, I would go this route with RCR2s.
Thanks.