Jeers to dirty gas theives!

BatteryCharger

Flashlight Enthusiast
This morning I was surprised to find both gas doors on my truck wide open. Yep, the dirty theiving *******s sucked it dry. Seeing as I'm not as stupid as they are, I have a locking cap on the tank I normally use which I had just filled with 25 gallons. The other tank which they emptied only had about 15 gallons in it. But, the joke's on them, that was 6 month old 2 stroke gas which I wasn't going to use until I mixed it about half and half with fresh gas. Probably will quickly kill anything with fuel injectors and a catalytic converter. :sssh: I hope the fumes give them cancer. :mad:

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
10-4 on that good buddy!

If what I'm hearing on the radio holds ANY water, we are gonna have 4 buck PLUS gas and diesel this summer. You DAMN BETCHA I'm gonna have a locking cap on my Ram!

Empath

Flashaholic
This is really more Cafe material, than Cheers'N'Jeers material. I'm moving it to the Cafe. BatteryCharger, feel free to change the name of the thread, if you wish.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yowsa, you really heard four dollars??? What as the explanation why? I know the three dollar spike was alledgedly because of Katrina and the other gulf storms this year.

PlayboyJoeShmoe said:
10-4 on that good buddy!

If what I'm hearing on the radio holds ANY water, we are gonna have 4 buck PLUS gas and diesel this summer. You DAMN BETCHA I'm gonna have a locking cap on my Ram!

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
As anti-theft and anti-vandalism measures, I've been using locking fuel caps on all my trucks since 1974.

robinhood4x4

Newly Enlightened
People just punch a hole through the locking gas caps with a screwdriver.

I hope they don't figure out it's 2 stroke gas until it's too late, it's a different color.

Last edited:

JPasquini

Newly Enlightened
geepondy said:
Yowsa, you really heard four dollars??? What as the explanation why? I know the three dollar spike was alledgedly because of Katrina and the other gulf storms this year.

According to several of the business shows, some industry analysts are expecting gasoline and oil prices to continue to increase due to the record cold wave in Europe as well as the nuclear standoff between the West and Iran. If/when things get "hot" so to speak with Iran, expect gas prices to spike accordingly. While Iran only supplies approximately 5% of the world's oil (none of which is exported to the US), it does basically "control" access to the Straights of Hormuz thanks to the geography of the area.

A couple military buddies of mine have made comments lately that now would be a good time to brush up on the geography of Iran and the surrounding area.
:touche:

Sleestak

Newly Enlightened
Hmmm, not sure what you mean by the 2-stroke thing.

The 'heaviest' ratio I know of is 32:1, maybe 24:1, but I have been able to successfully use 32:1 in several vehicles without any problem, even when it's older fuel. Long story. In my experience, gasoline will go up to a year with no real problems at all, and I've heard many folks stretch it up to almost 18 months without overt difficulty, and this isn't counting the use of Stabil or other such fuel stabilizers. Also, if they add the fuel to a tank already half full of 'fresh' gasoline, that'll take care of any problems inherent with the older fuel.

32:1 *might* give an engine some trouble, but I doubt likely anything more than just retarding the timing and robbing a little bit of power. The cats should be able to handle that little bit of exposure without too much problem.

That said, I hate it when punks do stuff like that.

Did this happen in the neighborhood? I'll bet you have a good idea who did it.

Now, a little off topic: two tanks on one truck? How many total gallons can it hold? I'm just curious, because I've always kind of been fond of the idea of two tanks on the same vehicle.

bobisculous

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sleestak said:
Now, a little off topic: two tanks on one truck? How many total gallons can it hold? I'm just curious, because I've always kind of been fond of the idea of two tanks on the same vehicle.

They will typically hold a little more volume than the average tank. On my dads truck, its ~35 gallons between the two. ~16 gallon and ~18 gallon on each. You usually have a switch in the cab that will change from one, to the other tank. You want to try and change from the empty(ing) tank to the full one before the vehicle begins chuggin so that you know you have a small reserve left. Better yet, measure how far you can go from the moment the low fuel light turns on until the vehicle is chuggin once, then switch to the other tank...

-C

BatteryCharger

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sleestak said:
Hmmm, not sure what you mean by the 2-stroke thing.
It was 25:1. In 15 gallons of gas that's almost 2 and a half quarts of oil. Put that into a late model car with an empty tank (why else would they steal the gas) and the thousands of dollars worth of computer and emissions equipment aren't going to be very happy. Even worse if it's something with high compression, since octane is the main issue with old gas and oil makes it even lower. :) My carburetor on the other hand wouldn't even notice...

Sleestak said:
It has two 25 gallon tanks. Otherwise I wouldn't be able to make it between gas stations with a 468 BBC! :broke: This summer I'm going to put in another 40 gallon tank in place of the spare tire to fill my boat with. :laughing: (since gas is about $1.50 more than regular prices at the lake)

Sleestak

Newly Enlightened
Bffft! Well, let's put it this way: I sincerely *hope* the rat *******s have trouble with the gas. That would be justice served right there.

Reminds me of something that happened at my last house: some punk(s) kicked in my french doors for the purpose of doing nothing more than stealing a cheap 27" televison set. Caused hundreds of dollars of damage to the doors for a TV costing less than a hundred. The doors were expensive, the TV was an old leftover from a previous house.

The TV was on the second floor, and the staircase coming down was not only steep, but bent 90 degrees on the way down. Somewhere on the way down the punk tripped and fell down the rest of the staircase. You could tell that both he and the television bounced and flopped all over the place. At the bottom of the staircase was a bunch of blood droplets from where the guy severely injured himself. When I was cleaning up the tile later, a dark tile in the foyer, I actually saw something that made me burst out laughing: there on the floor at the base of the staircase was this 'splat' mark of the guy's face. You know how you have grease on your face? Well, there was a grease mark on the floor of the guy's face, meaning that he busted his face on the floor. Looking at it, I think that he busted his eyebrow open. Not only that, but I'd be damned surprised if the television was working after that.

That didn't completely make me happy, because I still had the damage to the doors, and I had still been robbed, but it did make me feel a little better.

(punks):xyxgun:

Lightmeup

Enlightened
Yeah, what kind of truck is it? I'm not aware of anything uses a 2-stroke engine. Also, where do you live?

BatteryCharger

Flashlight Enthusiast
Trashman said:
Why would you have two-stroke gas in your truck tank? Is this some trick I've never heard of?

I was just getting rid of it. My truck is carbureted, has no cats, and is relatively low compression so it wouldn't even notice.

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you normally don't even use that tank, perhaps you could fill it with diesel or waste oil for an even better joke to them. What about leaded fuel?

Just before I got out of school for winter break, my friend had someone glue the gas cap on his truck shut as a real nasty joke. We both tried scraping the glue out to no avile. He finally brought a locking cap that clamps to the outter rim of his fuel hole rather than threading into it.

I wonder if anyone can open the fuel door on my parent's Toyotas. You have to open them from inside the car by pulling on a lever near the seat. Maybe they could pry it open?

If so, I might need to invest in a locking fuel cap as well

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
yuandrew said:
I wonder if anyone can open the fuel door on my parent's Toyotas. You have to open them from inside the car by pulling on a lever near the seat. Maybe they could pry it open?

If so, I might need to invest in a locking fuel cap as well

If the thieves are persistent enough nothing will stop them... but in general the idea seems to be to make your vehicle a less attractive/easy target. As long as there are other cars around without locking caps or a pull-lever catch, you are less of a target. But how much extra security (and inconvenience/extra work to open the cap) you feel comfortable with is up to you.

-Mike

Warleader

Newly Enlightened
Thieves . . . . Outlaws . . . . time to invoke Old English law

As I understand it, once declared an "Outlaw", you were considered outside the law . . . . which meant that you were not bound by the law . . . nor were you protected by it. I further understand that most "Outlaws" did not survive long . . . . . . the predators became the prey . . . . .

Sometimes one must look to the past to solve the problems of today.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I TRIED to find a link to a site where I heard about high gas prices this summer.

I have dispatched an email to the radio station where I heard it, and the station doesn't have a link!

I'll report when I have the site!