Stupid Q, but how do twistie/momentary push button tailswitches work?

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry for the stupid question, but I was wondering how the the "tactical" (twist for constant, push for momentary) tailswitches work, or even just twist tailcaps in general.
I know there's a spring in there that both holds the battery in place to minimize rattling/movement and acts as a negative contact (assuming + is at the head). Is there another contact below the spring that's connected to the body (GND) that makes contact with the spring as the tailcap is pushed in or tightened? If so, where does the bottom contact touch the spring?...at the outter edges of the spring? Thanks, and sorry for my stupidity.:ohgeez:

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, let me use the surefire G2 as an example. You have the inner metal tube which conducts electricity. When you press or crank down, the spring/button around it come incontact with the edge of the tube and voila

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I always thought most flashlights used the body as the negative contact. Is the "inner tube" touching the body of the light to close the circuit? Thanks.

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
well, as I said, I was using the surefire G2 which is a plastic light. So the tube is basically the body

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
haha, sorry, forgot the G2 was plastic. Thanks Garageboy!