C-sized NiMH in SL ProPoly 3C

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just wondering which brands of NiMH batteries may have been successfully used with the SL ProPoly 3C. Seems that the buttons on some of the Chinese batteries are a bit too big to fit into the SL rececptor at the base of the 3C reflector assembly. AA NiMH batteries in C adapters work fine, as do the AA in a C-Shell batteries sold in department stores. I was hoping to use something more in the 4500-5000 mAh capacity (or just stay with alkalines in the SL).

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kind of hard to tell since there aren't any measurement details on the product page or on the manufacturer's product page, but just by eyeballing the picture, those also "look" like the button may be too large. I think the only way to tell would be to get the measurements for the positive button and compare it against the measurement for the button on an alkaline C sized battery.

floscherl said:
Did you try the CTA 5500mAH cells?

http://www.provantage.com/c-size-rechargeable-batteries~22097256.htm

I think I will get some of these next month.

Ikonomi

Enlightened
I'm not familiar with the interior of the SL3CPPL (love that abbreviation, but it may be wrong), but maybe you can use some NiMH Cs without the button end, and use a little rare earth magnet as a button.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
It will take the C sized NiMH batteries that are sold in department stores, like the Eveready 2600 mAh batteries at Wal*Mart, but those are for the most part nothing more than a AA sized battery in a C sized form factor. Additionally, as I mentioned earlier, there's no problem using any of the AA batteries in the C adapters. The positive contact on the back of the 3C ProPoly lamp assembly is recessed inside of a plastic ring, and the button on the Chinese batteries are about the same size as the plastic ring and are not able make contact with the actual contact. I'm just not sure if it is across the board with all of the actual C-sized NiMH batteries, since most if not all of them are made in China now (including those from the Taiwanese companies).

Ikonomi said:
I'm not familiar with the interior of the SL3CPPL (love that abbreviation, but it may be wrong), but maybe you can use some NiMH Cs without the button end, and use a little rare earth magnet as a button.

Grubbster

Enlightened
Ikonomi said:
but maybe you can use some NiMH Cs without the button end, and use a little rare earth magnet as a button.
I just got some of the 5000mAh Powerizer cells and had the problem of the button being too big. I used a magnet on the top cell and it works perfectly now.