Surefire L2 new owner questions. modifications?

fibrizo

Newly Enlightened
I just got my Surefire L2 as a present from my GF... and already the flashaholic in me is thinking...

Does anyone know what bin they use for the LED? And is it possible to mod the light to put a better bin in? and lastly has anyone ever modded the l2 and knows how and is willing to do it?

I know I should be happy, but the low beam is kinda greenish next to my TWOH JIL 1.3, my old ARC LSHP and other lights... but on the other hand when on high mode, it's whiter than anything... though it could always be a bit brighter.

Thanks.

Edited for more info on the greenish tinge to the low beam

Last edited:

CLHC

Flashaholic
Congrats on your newly acquired SF.L2! Great light I must say because I have one and the "only" LED from SureFire that's in my possession. Don't know about the "green" on low on your particular model, since mine is white, and that's comparing it with other LED I have.

Haven't heard of anyone modifying the SureFire L2—yet! Though I'm sure that it isn't impossible to do.

Enjoy!

CLHC

Flashaholic
Well there you go! Like 78CJ5 stated above. . .My SF.L2 IS BRIGHT and White on both high and low.

I think that each particular illumination tool tends to have different personalities one from another though of the same series. "Looks greenish. . ."; ". . .bluish. . ."; ". . .yellowish. . ." ". . .like it's got a hole. . ."; etc. . .etc. . .etc. . .

BIGD

Newly Enlightened
I just got an L2 as well and I must say I was disappointed in the overall output. Compared to my U2 or even my L6 or L5 the L2 seems weak. I know it has more flood than throw and the beam is considered a "wall of light" but the U2 kills it on high. So much for lumens, I still like it but I was expecting so much more
awman.gif

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
BIGD - thats kind of odd. How were you comparing it? Doing a bounce test (pointing each light up at the ceiling in a dark room at the same distance and aiming at the same spot; alternating between the lights and looking at a spot in the bottom corner of the room) my U2 faired a little worse than the two L2's I was comparing it with. Lumens measure overall light output vs output at the hotspot. The L2 sucks at Lux, ~600 vs, 1400 on the U2 but L3 lights up the more wall than the U2.

My U2 kills hte L2 in the throw department though. The L2's just gets washed out after 50 feet while the U2 can reach a little more.

fibrizo - The L2 has a 'dummy' head so someone can change out the Luxeon V for you. Forum member Chop comes to mind with modding SF LED's and electronics BUT I haven't done it, just read about it.

Between the two L2's I have access to (one's my bro's the other is my friends which he gave back to me to fix (tailcap issue.)) My friend's is on the green side and my brother's is a little blue-ish. Luxeon lottery at work again here.

I can't see what can be done to improve the L2 except make it a little shorter (can be done by possibly smaller electronics?) and psuh the Luxeon 5 even more at the cost of LED life?

The L2 on high is pushing its LED ~1.4-1.5 amps, but LED life should not be a problem unless you use the light on high only. The L2 was mean as a utility light with short bursts of high.

Last edited:

fibrizo

Newly Enlightened
I guess my only goal was probably to replace the lux V with possible a higher bin one for either better runtime or increased brightness. I was eyeing WX0S... and wondering how that compared to the bin in the L2.

the W bin is supposed to be 147-190 lumens. if that's true, it would make the L2 into a light cannon...

thesurefire

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire uses whatever bins lumileds sends them in their lights, this is what makes some brighter and better tinted then others.

W bins are rated at 146-192 lumens (or somewhere around there), If driven at spec.

The easy answer for your question is to simpily compare your L2 agaist a knowen bin 5 watt driven at spec. Then you will have an idea of how much replacing the LED would increase the brightness.

BIGD

Newly Enlightened
Jason, I was simply comparing the two lights side by side on various targets such as out in the backyard at night or against a white wall. Overall my U2 really seems to put out more light. As I (and you) stated the U2 has more throw due to the reflector being deeper I presume but the L2 really seems weaker to me. Others have compared these two lights and some like the L2 better. I'm not real big on lumens or Lux or whatever readings as they can be subjective but I do trust my eye and it likes the U2 better. It's alot whiter in color too
naughty.gif
. I guess I was expecting 100 lumens (20 more than the U2 is rated at) and the "wall of light" to knock my socks off but all it did was make me go
awman.gif

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool, whatever works for you. I know I sold my L2 when I got my U2, I personally like more throw :)