What drives your flashaholism?

Which best describes your MAIN driving interest in flashlights?

• Custom Junkie - unique designs by CPF members are my main favorites

Votes: 15 10.6%
  • Utility User - matching the right light to the task interests me most

Votes: 66 46.8%
  • Thrift Seeker - finding the best bang for my buck is where the fun is

Votes: 16 11.3%
  • Odd Jobber - unusual lights and their unconventional uses are the big draw

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • Spec Geek - the mechanics behind the lights are my core fascination

Votes: 36 25.5%

• Total voters

LowWorm

Enlightened
Just curious if you had to pick one of these general categories, which category best describes the core of your flashaholism? In other words, the majority of your purchases/wish list items are fueled by which of these areas?

I find the diversity of the users at CPF to be very interesting. If I were a flashlight maker, it seems it would be impossible to target everyone with a single product. The more I learn, the more I realize it's nice to have lots of choices.

greenLED

Flashaholic
I've come to realize flashaholism is not only about buying lights. There's also the tinkering side of things, and the collecting, and the actual design/manufacture..

My "driver" has changed... I'm going back to tinkering (with limited tools and even less knowledge of electronics) :)

78CJ5

Newly Enlightened
I like the fact this is a unique hobby. The other cool thing for me is the fact that I inadvertantly stumbled upon this website, which turned me onto the hobby. So for me, everything is new...

hquan

Enlightened
I get lights mainly as preparation for emergencies - or other times when you need a light. For example, we have a cat door and our cat likes to bring home varmint "friends" that she has caught. I don't know why, but she is especially careful to harm them as little as possible. This means that I've become master varmint catcher in our house and a good light is extremely helpful when looking under dressers and such for varmints such as snakes, mice, rats, birds, etc... Believe it or not, we'd rather have the cat door than deal with this cat and it's wanting in / out / in / out / in / out / in / out / in etc...

MXDan

Newly Enlightened
I had a hard time answering this poll. I have a lot of lights, most of which I don't 'need', many of which are very expensive, a few are also cheap junkos. I don't 'need' a light beyond a pocket light for looking in nooks and crannies at work. However, I have ended up with at least ten of those lights, and many more 'light the room' lights that I seldom use other than toying with.
Overall, I guess I just really enjoy learning and knowing the technology of each product and appreciating the manufacturing process (when it is a quality product). This is also reflected in my quality knife infacuation...

MXDan

metalhed

Enlightened
I think 'Spec Geek' sums it up as well as anything else.

I like and appreciate the technical differences between different types of flashlights. Whether it's direct-drive vs. regulated, optic vs. reflector, LED vs. filament, whatever vs. whatever, I enjoy all the technical differences the most.

So I end up buying lights that I have no particular functional need for, but desire for the sake of variety and flexibility. If flashlights were all the same, I doubt I'd give a hoot about them one way or another.

But they are all different, so the journey continues....:candle:

cosine

Newly Enlightened
I'm a Thrift Seeker with Spec Geek underneath. I'm a kid, so the Thrift Seeker overcomes the Spec Geek most of the time.

metalhed

Enlightened
cosine -- Trust me, it won't change that much as you get older. :D

Things like mortgages, car payments, and health insurance help to make sure of that.

:broke:

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where's the Power Trip choice? I think my flashahalism is driven by the desire to have better, cooler, more powerful lights. A never ending quest to possess the "Six Million Dollar Torch" (chh chh chh chh chh chh chh chh chh). (supposed to be the sounds of "bionics" in action)

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Since, in all honesty, I don't really "need" flashlights any more than the average Joe, I lean heavily to the thrift side. It's easier to keep the gadget monkey on my back happy without the guilt I'd feel from expensive lights. For me the researching and running around looking for deals is at least half the fun.

Geoff

Skyclad01

Enlightened
Flying Turtle said:
Since, in all honesty, I don't really "need" flashlights any more than the average Joe, I lean heavily to the thrift side. It's easier to keep the gadget monkey on my back happy without the guilt I'd feel from expensive lights. For me the researching and running around looking for deals is at least half the fun.

Geoff

Im glad to see im not the only one here with that mindset :)

warpdrive

Enlightened
I think I just like spending money on things I like.....and curiosity more than anything is why I like to buy more flashlights. The whole idea of buying the best of the best in their respective price range is an elusive goal which drives me to buy and try other flashlights and other gadgets.

I really have no "need" for a flashlight beyond what even a basic Fenix L1P gives me.

eebowler

Flashlight Enthusiast
In addition to my Spec Geek vote above, I'd like to add that I LOVE the idea of having lights 'other people' don't have. I like being the different one. LED lights are not well known here and those that are arround are simple and pretty expensive. I am usually in shock to see another human with LEDs other than myself. I get stares on a regular basis simply because of an Opalec mounted on my bike. :wow: I love the shock factor when people see 'white' light for the first time.

If any light I own becomes a regular here (and that would probably be very unlikely,) I'd likely give it away to a friend.

Note: all my lights except one are under $50

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like to think of myself as a user, but lately I've collected more than I can use so I must have other motives besides. :)

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Of the choices listed utility user was my closest match. I get lights based on my perceived coolness factor. That being said I could easliy simplify my collection to 4 lights (Tikka+, Arc AAA-P, E2O, & L2) and still be very happy. I'm very lucky I can indulge my "inner geek" in this wonderful hobby.

Blazer

Enlightened
It started off with necessity (involvement in LE) then migrated to CPF where you guys have totally ruined my self control....now I need every light I see.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tough one!,
All of them apply except thrift seeker. I have custom lights I've built (2D Mag MM+ R2H/nFlex WX1S LuxeonV 8AA to 2D hotlips UCL glass) a drop-in (BB500 R2H minimag kroll extended bezel with 20mm reflector and glass lens) a custom light (Lambda MicroIlluminator R3J AAA brinkmann) a MillerMods L1P running the R bin at 500mA and my next project: 8AA to 2D HA-III bored Mag to hold Andrew Wynn's BAM drop-in with UCL glass.
That would make me a specs geek and custom junkie. My EDC lights are Peak Matterhorn 3 Snow29 AAA (soon to be replaced by Peak Pacific Luxeon AAA) and a Peak Mediterranean 2AA so utility is high on the list.
Then again, the HA-III 8AA 4 K2 Mag will be a variable output recumbent bicycle frame light to go along with the MillerMods L1P 1.7 watter as a bicycle helmet light. Arc AAA red for blackout conditions and a Peak 5 UV AA light to spot blood. Yes, I like to use lights for unusual things so....
The custom variable output 2D Mags also provide emergency lighting and have uses at work no matter the country I happen to be. So the circle is complete... all four of those apply.
Ask my wife... she will never say "trift seeker" whenever I buy flashlights! Since I show four out of five symptoms... is there a seven step program?