What screensaver do you use/like to watch?

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been using fieldlines. I like the flowing lines and fluid motion. I have been looking for a screensaver that looks like flying strings.

Searching for screensavers online is such a pita. There is so much junk to sort through.

Anyone use their own custom screensaver?

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I just use one called wallpaper changer and have a bunch of pictures it cycles through randomly..... it is set to change every 6 hours, converts jpg to bmp on the fly so I do not have to use active desktop etc and also saves a bunch of space with my 800+ wallpaper files. I have irfanview set up so I can watch a full screen slideshow for fun and see if I need to remove any pictures or adjust color/brightness/contrast etc.

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can remember back when 3dfiles dot com was such a big thing when it came to screensavers.
What a shame they went navel up in 2000.
I still have several of the screensavers I downloaded from them.
If you can find them anywhere,

skyrocket
blobgl
plasma
plasmasaver
planestate
starlight

Are some good ones to try out.

Todays compooters seem to do very well with these at long last. :rock:

Zelandeth

Flashlight Enthusiast
Used to use a screensaver collection called AfterDark (back in the days of Windows 3.1), which had a fair number of nice fluid moving things like that. This was of course when I was using a portable machine with a plasma display - so not having static images on the screen any longer than possible was actually an issue for me!

These days I've just got the default Windows XP one on. Had a textured flag of my desktop wallpaper for a while - but that used rather a lot of CPU time (rubbish graphics card), and would cause the CPU fan to speed up and make a noise - which annoyed me. Monitor's also set to go into standby after 15 minutes. The simple and resource friendly approach.

The Red Hat (8.2) distribution of Linux I was running on my old PC for a long while had a nice selection of screensavers, the one thing I noticed was that they were all *incredibly* fluid in the motion compared to anything I've seen in Windows. Plus it had those fractal creation things, which I could quite easily get utterly hypnotised by.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
The only one I've used with any regularity at all is called "Starflight".
It looks like warp drive on Star Trek: TNG; but it only runs for 240 minutes maximum before the screen blanks.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
be carefull with downloading SS's. Some can have spyware/etc bundled in them.

I use windows marquee with 3D chrome text set to display the time currently.

greenLED

Flashaholic
black screen - I strongly dislike those (stupid) moving themes :green:

(SETI@home is running in text mode in the backgroun ;) )

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remember After Dark for dos? It had what was nifty screensavers at the time but it completely took over your system and interfered with other operations.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
The SS should only be using the CPU power when activated, yes? So unless you are doing some distibuted computing, it shouldn't be a big thing or am I mistaken?

I understand that SSs aren't really required with today's monitors, but I just like looking at the Goldfish when I walk into the room.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
zespectre said:
system 47
http://www.mewho.com/system47/
I just wish he'd made one to cover dual monitors.
Maybe someone can educate me/straighten me out - but my Zone Alarm says that this one is trying to monitor system activity and all other sorts of "trying to access trusted zone" etc. messages.

I denied all of those requests by the screensaver, but still was able to preview the screens. Indeed nice for Star Trek fans and looked nice on my LCD screen.

But alas, I deleted it due to the warnings.

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sigman, yes it'll "monitor system activity", it has to to know when things have been idle for the preset time so it can activate.

Accessing the trusted zone (in this case) means it's trying to start a program on it's own (the rendering engine that produces all the pretty pictures).

This is one of those situations that proves how tightly ZA monitors your system, which is a good thing, but sure can make you paranoid!