Most impressive flashlight gift for ~$30

mrdctaylor

Newly Enlightened
My dad's birthday is coming up and I wanted to get him a flashlight. All he has is a 3D Mag. He's seen my 4AA Streamlight ProPolymer and comments about how bright/white the beam was so I was consdering that. The only downside is that it sorta looks cheap. The upside is that it takes AA batteries. I was also considering the 3C version.

I was considering something like an Inova X5 or posibly an XO or XO3 (even though they are a little more than I wanted to spend) simply because they are such well-made and impressive lights from a build-quality standpoint. I have an XO3 coming from some guy on ebay that I got for $45 shipped, so I could give him that one. The downside is that they take CR123A batteries. I could alwyas give him a few spares.

I was also considering either an L1 or L2 (non-premium) but can't find any online. Does anyone have them in stock?

What are some opinions? Which would YOU be happier to get? Which do you think a non-flashaholic 60-year-old guy would be happier to get? I'm just looking for ideas. The intended use will be for a general around-the-house and take-it-hunting sort of light.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 3C ProPoly is an excellent choice. It'll make both his 3D and your 4AA ProPoly look a bit anemic. If the yellow color looks a little cheap, try the black ones. While folks from that generation (including me) grew up thinking of things plastic as being 'cheap', in reality there are many plastics these days that are quite sturdy. While you probably shouldn't drive over any of the ProPoly's with a vehicle (at least I haven't tried), I think you'll find plastics in use with many of Streamlight's industrial products, like those geared towards fire-fighting. Additionally, some police departments have taken to issuing a Poly-Stinger as a duty light to minimize liabilities from those instruments being used as impact weapons or allegations of such claims. If your dad prefers to more traditional shape of the Mag, you might also want to look at the LEDBeam 3C that is a traditional aluminum, albeit not as sturdy as a Mag. It's priced about the same as a ProPoly 3C, and puts out even better light both in throw and spill. I'd say it rivals my Stinger in terms of real-world performance.

mrdctaylor said:
My dad's birthday is coming up and I wanted to get him a flashlight. All he has is a 3D Mag. He's seen my 4AA Streamlight ProPolymer and comments about how bright/white the beam was so I was consdering that. The only downside is that it sorta looks cheap. The upside is that it takes AA batteries. I was also considering the 3C version.

I was considering something like an Inova X5 or posibly an XO or XO3 (even though they are a little more than I wanted to spend) simply because they are such well-made and impressive lights from a build-quality standpoint. I have an XO3 coming from some guy on ebay that I got for $45 shipped, so I could give him that one. The downside is that they take CR123A batteries. I could alwyas give him a few spares.

What are some opinions? Which would YOU be happier to get? Which do you think a non-flashaholic 60-year-old guy would be happier to get? I'm just looking for ideas. The intended use will be for a general around-the-house and take-it-hunting sort of light.

Thanks in advance!

eebowler

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would also recommend the SL Propolymer 3C or 4AA Luxeon light. Firefox international has them at a very good price. Check in the dealers section.

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
I finally caved and bought a 123-powered light, the 1 watt Reactor (by Dorcy). In the US, it's called a Dorcy. You can read a review here:

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/dorcy_super1w.htm

I'm quite impressed. It's heavier than you might think and exudes a quality a notch or two above the usual Dorcy products. It's got good spill and a wider hot spot than the Streamlight ProPoly 4AA Luxeon. Being a lithium-powered light, it would work well hot or cold and would fit nicely in a car's ash tray (if you don't smoke). Only thing I miss is a convenient lanyard attachment point. I also find the reverse-clicky switch at the back a bit too soft. All in all, not bad for less than $28.

Recommended.

Tremendo

Enlightened
I want to get my Dad a good light. I ordered another SF G2 yesterday, but today I started thinking.... He's old school (in his 60's). he's not going to want to deal with anything that he can't buy batteries for at any store. So, now I'm thinking a Fenix L1P. I have one as my EDC, and 2 more modded ones coming. The fact it only takes 1 AA and has an LED makes it easy and sturdy. The only thing is it may be too small for him to consider it a real flashlight.

metalhed

Enlightened
I second Photonboy's suggestion regarding the Dorcy 1 Watt.

I own the cr123 version, but I believe Dorcy also makes a 3 AA light in almost the same form factor. I don't own the AA version, But maybe someone elae can speak for its output relative to the cr123 style.

Cheap, easy to replace if lost hunting, and they are solid, well-built little lights.

BTW, Dorcy also shows a 3 Watt 3 AA light on their website, but I haven't noticed it yet in retail stores. Might want to consider it also.

78CJ5

Newly Enlightened
Streamlights look cheap but they can sure perform. I bought a couple of 4AA lux's for gifts this year. I know the people I gave them to well enough to know that the beam quality (i.e. brightness, throw) would be worth more than the form-factor.

Blazer

Enlightened
Dorcy Super 1W (sold under the "Reactor" name at Home Hardware in Canada)
OR
Fenix L1P

I'm going to give my Dad two things for his birthday this year (in his 60s as well)
Fenix L1P
and
I'm going to mod his current MiniMag because it's so bad, but he won't know it until he gets the Fenix, then he'll want to get rid of the MM, I'll put in a Terralux drop in LED and he should be impressed, if not I'll take the modded MM.

paulr

Flashaholic
If he likes the Streamlight, I'd say get him one. Otherwise I'd say spend a little more and get an L1p or L2p since the non-p versions aren't available. Don't get a cr123 light for a non-flashaholic. They'll end up buying replacement batts at a camera store for big bucks. :(

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
I think those Elements sold at Sam's Club are one of the best buys on today's market...AND you get 2 for what you're lookin' to spend!!

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
paulr said:
If he likes the Streamlight, I'd say get him one. Otherwise I'd say spend a little more and get an L1p or L2p since the non-p versions aren't available. Don't get a cr123 light for a non-flashaholic. They'll end up buying replacement batts at a camera store for big bucks.
frown.gif

I plan to buy CR123 cells from a nearby dollar store for about C$3.50 or so. Not as good as on the 'net, but a lot cheaper than a camera store.

DaveG

Enlightened
Inova X5 built like a tank,batterys last a long time,small enough to keep in your pocket when hunting. Plus they look impressive.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not everyone is ready for lithium batteries, and sometimes being small makes a light more useful. I'd try Target's 0.5W 2AAA RR light for $10 and maybe some nimh's and a charger. Or the Nuwai TM310H + TM-317 (or +TM-313) combos at J2LED for less than $20 a pair plus shipping (note prices there are in Canadian $). Emilions 3W 2AA Smartfire for $20 plus shipping seems to be fairly popular around here also.http://www.j2ledflashlight.com/specials.html

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
there is that 3c nuali thing with mutiple brightnesses, it Was 40$ when i got one as a gift. if they are happy to haul a big mag, but realize that LEDs exist, that give you 2 options at least, a Pocket that is AS bright, and runs AS long, or a sub mag like 3c that will replace the mag be smaller and run longer.
best gifts are the ones that are USED, if he does haul the big mag around all the time, then big would be good, if he doesnt haul it around then getting one that is pocketable is good.
if he liked the light you HAD :) then get him the same quality of BEAM and output, but in a nicer looking case.
that is my logic on it, but dont tell my dad , i aint got his made yet :)

if the giftee ever gets stuck payin 7$ for photo batteries , then that is not a gift, that is a gift PLAUGE :) solution, get Batteries to go with it.

Last edited:

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are considering springing for the L1P, I'd say spend the three more bucks or whatever and get the L2P since it will run better on regular alkalines if that's what he wants to feed it and it looks like a more serious "tool." The only thing he might not like is the switch on the tail instead of the more familiar position on the body below the head.

After rereading your post, you say it is for a "general around the house and take it hunting sort of light." In that case, any of the Fenixes might be too bright. My Ultra-G (a hard annodized CMG Infinity Ultra) is my camping staple as it makes more than enough light for use in total darkness and indoors. The 2AAA River Rock series are good suggestions as they are good lights for the money, if a bit on the blue side. For hunting, the $15 2AAA headlamp would be quite useful as it is tiny and lightweight but still has great output and runtime.

Flashfirstask?later

Enlightened
PhotonBoy said:
I finally caved and bought a 123-powered light, the 1 watt Reactor (by Dorcy). In the US, it's called a Dorcy.
Blazer said:
Dorcy Super 1W (sold under the "Reactor" name at Home Hardware in Canada)
You can get the Dorcy labeled one in Canada at BestBuy/FutureShop if they still have any for only $19.99cdn before taxes as I have one.

I have been thinking about getting a nice useful flashlight for my dad also for his birthday. I have thought about getting the SL 4AA ProPolymer Luxeon to use when hunting or for around the house, but I think he would prefer a nice sling for his shotgun instead as he has been hinting about it.

paulr

Flashaholic
Actually I see you weren't specifically looking for an led light, and you said "impressive". If you're going for raw lumens under $30, try the PT Surge, which is a 2C sized incandescent that uses eight AA's. Its runtime is pretty good and it puts out around 110 lumens.