Radioshack PRO-97 Scanner

Greg

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone, I just got a Pro-97 scanner which cost me a lot to ship over and now that I am listening to it, it seems that it's got more static than my old BC245XLT which I was trying to replace with this new one.

Keep in mind that the tower I am trying to monitor is not even 10 km (800Mhz Motorola Type II Trunked) away and I am still getting static. Could it be the unit is buggered up, or is this normal for this device.

Now I am wondering if it is screwed up, how the heck can I return it, considering I would probably have to go across the border to exchange it, cause I ain't paying for that crazy shipping again.

Greg

jtice

Flashaholic
The antenna on it can make a HUGE difference.

Some are turned for diff ranges.

I bought the BD246T, but the PRO-97 was another I was looking at.

Checkout www.radioreference.com
they should know a good antenna for it.

~John

Greg

Newly Enlightened
Oh, absolutely I don't doubt that an antenna would help, but I could pick up this system with my old scanner without an antenna at all, and this one with an antenna sucks crap.

I notice that when I am tracking a trunking system the screen flashes as the static occurs. I think I might just have a bummed unit. I guess I will call and ask if they will exchange it.

Greg

Greg

Newly Enlightened
Earlier in the day I was standing line of sight to the tower not even 3 km away from it, and still had the same problems.

Question now is, how do I get an exchange?

Greg

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
:lolsign:

Thats your problem! Your too close!!

Your old scanner is not as sensitive as the newer triple conversion ones.

look at your Pro-97, youll see a button that says ATT, this is the attenuator. The Attenuator takes signals that are too strong and knocks em down a bit so the scanner isnt overwhelmed. This should fix your problem.

When the attenuator is engaged the att on the screen will be in all caps (ATT), to disengage the attenuator, press ATT again.

Good luck, hope this helps!!

PS: Page 60 of the manual.

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast
PoliceScannerMan

Not to change the subject but just wanted to say I like your Signature picture. I have a Pro 2006 and love it. It's a rarity now and was wondering if you have one to. Anyway might be a good idea to open a generic scanner thread to see who has what as not to hijack the thread.

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
Yes I have a quite nice 2006 :naughty:

Full 800Mhz :sssh: , signal strength meter (10 leds, 6 green 2 yellow and 2 red), and also I have it modded to receive 6000 channels :rock: !! ( 400 is stock)

It is a nice scanner, I use it occasionaly, but it is my favorite!

Greg

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the replies everyone. It was very helpful.

As for the ATT, that was the first thing I tried. I figured the same thing, but it blocked the signal completely. I couldn't hear a peep through it. As well, the screen seems to flicker when it is in trunked mode when a transmission is coming through. It seems the static corresponds to this flickering.

Either way, I am going to call RS tomorrow and see what they can do for me. Unfortunately, I'm in Canada, and they normally don't ship here. I got it through some special number at RS. Hopefully they will help me out. Keeping my fingers crossed.