Best Incan bulb for 8AA???

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I know. It's a no mans land.

I am gonna try something... brb...

Okay. Maybe I have my own answer. I only have a LOP aluminum reflector right now which does pretty good with the 1185. With the Carley 809 I still get a majorly oblong beam, but with 8 pretty fresh Rayovac 1800s it's also pretty darn bright!

Quick trip outside for my normal test...

Not too shabby at all! Just checked amps, it rocks for only pulling 1.14 or so!!!

When my MOP arrives, this just might surplant the M*g85 as my fave!

The 1274 is darn nice but on 7 cells. The odd number sort of hoovers. Same with the 1185 and 9.

The Carley 809 is pretty stout on 8!

Any other choices out there?

nickz

Enlightened
I don't know about the carley, but I know I really like my ROP HOLA bulb with an 8aa holder and 1 dummy cell. Nice and white :naughty: !

nickz

Enlightened
Well, I am definately no expert on these things :laughing: , but 1.2x would seem to be getting mid charge from what I have seen on my cells which are rayo 2500's and 15 minute rayo 2000's. I have not had a chance to charge my CBP1650's yet as i am waiting on my maha C801D to come in for a conditioning cycle first.

I just know that I really like the whiteness of the ROP HOLA bulb on 7 cells. I cant say which is brighter that or the carley you are working with. I know my Mag85 out throws it but the 85 has a SMO reflector and the ROP has a LOP. I'll soon have a couple more LOP's and a LS to play with so I can test beams with the same reflectors.

cy

Flashaholic
8x AA nmh 1.33 = 10.64 peak charge matches spec's from carley's site.

who's got these in stock?

---------------------

XENON 809 10.50V 1.20amps 12.60watts

carley 809.gif

Last edited:

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I may have one potted 809 besides the one I'm messing with, but I ain't parting with it.

Someday, some fine day WAY off in the distance, I shall find out what the hoopla is about concerning the ROP bulbs. I can't order squat!

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
ARGH! Every bulb I want to try wants 7aa. The MAJOR :banghead: problem is trying to make a usefull dummy for the Modamag 8AA-2D.

Dummies are EASY for 3AA-D, or FiveMega adapters.

I have one more shot using one I already made. Then I'm pooched!

EDIT: Whew! It wasn't easy but I won! And I was able to make another one out of 1/4" bolt. Whew!

Last edited:

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're using an 8AA-2D adapter, then I believe that the brightest bulb for 8 cells is the Fivemega 7.2v Axial. It won't fit in the new small hole reflectors without drilling the hole a little larger, though, but that's easy..

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
That wouldn't help me. If I don't already have it, or can buy it locally, I won't have it period!

The Carley 809 would be fine, but I still need to frost it (apparently overnight!).

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
If there are still "superbulb" threads available with the search, you can find discussion about what bulbs work with what combinations of batteries. Actually I'm running my junior Mag85 with 8 cells in a 2D mag, but I remember there was another bulb recommended for 8 cells, maybe a 1318? I was shortsighted or I would have just bought 1274 bulbs and used 7 cells. This is rated as a bright combination.