where do you get your contacts?

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
my vision prescription expired a few months ago, and i'd like to get some contacts before going to vegas.
i wore contacts for a little over a year, but quit wearing them a few months ago, because they just seemed to cause problems. haziness, discomfort, etc etc etc. at first they worked quite well for me, but as time went on i began to dislike them more and more.

at any rate, i'd like to get some more contacts before shotshow, but i'd like to figure out the best place to get them. i can get them from my eyedoctor of course, but would like to know if there is a chance to get them somewhere else cheaper.

has anyone tried any of the online contact dealers? could i expect to find a better deal, and still have them in less than 2 weeks?

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Hi Roth,

As you know, I am "4-eyed." Been wearing 'em since the 4th grade, which is many years short of your arrival! :D I cannot count the number of times the damn things have saved my eyesight! (Just something to consider!)

Larry

CLHC

Flashaholic
Never tried an online retailer for contact lens. Been getting them over at Walmart's—and they're not necessarily inexpensive compared to Costco, where they seem to be the cheapest all around so far.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used 1-800 contacts recently. I suggest getting a box from the local doctor, and that should last you through vegas. Then when you get back, order on-line a full years/whatevers worth. I went with 1-800 contacts because they said if your prescription changes, you can send back your un-unsed boxes and get something else! Plus they will refund/swap out for lenses that are torn (open it up and it's damaged).

I have B&L Softlens 38. Despite what the "no-rub" says I have to rub mine. When I take them out, I put it flat on my index finger, holding it with my thumb down, put a few drops over it, then I "wipe" not really rub with my other hand/fingers. Then I move my thum to the opposite part where I was holding it, and wipe that. Then flip it over, repeat. Take out the other lens, and do the same. I also do this after taking them out in the morning, followed by a final quick rinse. I do not skip a day of doing this "wipe" as even fresh contacts 1 day old benefit greatly from it, and last longer.

I found when you do this, you won't get the cloudyness until right before you need to change them. And they won't sting in the morning. Also wait a while before putting them in in the mornings so your eyes will get some moisture or they will be un-comfortable all day. My contacts are 2-week ones, but the doctor said I could go a month if need be. I've gone longer, but after about 3-weeks they get cloudy no matter how much "rubbing". So I change them then to see clear again at night (less halos around lights) I got a year supply which will last me close to 2 years actually. Also wearing them past 3 weeks sometimes my eyes will get slightly blood shot on one side randomly, I guess it's a sign that the "germs" are too much on the old lenses, and time for new.

I use the cheap Wal-mart equate solution that's under $4 for 2 huge 12oz bottles. I had some Alcon but that stinged more, and I still had to do the rubbing.

Fitz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have to agree about getting them from your doctor first. I've worn contacts for a long time, and switched to disposables last year from extended wear. My eye doctor let me try about 5 different brands until I found some that fit well and were comfortable for me.All brands/types fit a little different.
After going through the couple of boxes from the eye doctor, I used Visiondirect.com to order a few boxes and was very happy with them. I bought 10 boxes before the end of the year from them to use up some flexible spending account money. Fast, free shipping and good service.

tiktok 22

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to belong to a mail-order contact place that was bought-out by Lens Express and have been very happy with them. My doctor has a contract with Lens Express and my eye exam is only $30. They also offer discounts on eyeglass frames through participating doctors(got my wifes frames for $160 less than another store had them for). Might give them a call and see if there are any doctors in your area that participate. I believe a membership is about $35 for seven years but it may have changed since then. It should cover your entire family if they are living in your household.

1-800-contacts
1-800-lensexpress

Last edited: