what is lumen output for Surefire L1

livingaboard

Banned
The surefire sight states it is 22 lumens but their 2005 catalog lists it as 15. Other sources also state it is 15.

Just a little confused.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've always thought of it as a 15 lumen light... of course, that's about useless information.

Also, the general rule concerning multiplying Doug's overall output score by 1.4 to get a *rough* estimate of lumens... According to his page, the old L1 would be about 24 and the new one would be about 28 lumens.

faco

Enlightened
Just a little confused.[/QUOTE]

I have always been confused with SUREFIRE Information from the online site or from the Catalog. Not only are the lumens out of wack but also the run times etc as well :huh2:

On the SUREFIRE Site it shows the old photo of the L1 with the following specs………

3 watt LED

High 4 hrs with 22 Lumens

Low 90 hrs with 1.1 Lumens

In the 2005 Catalog it shows the old photo of the L1 with the following specs……

New 3 watt Lexeon LED

High 2 hrs with 15 Lumens

Low 90 hrs with 0.7 Lumens

I decided to buy my first SUREFIRE last week and it happens to be the L1 (newer type) Well when I got it I was very excited but noticed on the front of the box it says…..

Over 20 hrs on low beam………

Then I started reading the Instruction Manual and the first line starts of like this (The L1 LumaMax is fitted with a one-watt LED) …………well this is wrong info as the newer L1 has a 3 watt Lexeon LED just like it says on the SUREFIRE site. The box I got apparently is the new type for the newer L1 and the back of the box has a photo of the old L1 :lolsign:

All this out of wack info didn't really worry me as I did all my research for the L1 here on the forum, thanks to all you guy's. I also read reviews online as well, and just decided to buy it anyway. :wave: My first SUREFIRE and so far it's great

cy

Flashaholic
you can safely ignore those lumen ratings. surefire tends to be pretty conservative, unlike most everyone else.

my last two Surefire L1's put out aprox same light as stock Arc LS and fenix L1-P or aprox 25 lumens.

one of the best mods for L1 is unscrew bezel, drop-in so17 reflector with no changes. huge improvement over stock optics.

FlashInThePan

Enlightened
You might also be confusing the E1e, E1L, and L1. I made the same mistake. All are roughly the same size, and two of them - the E1e and E1L - use the same body. Here's the difference: the E1e is an incan and provides 15 lumens, so this might be the flashlight you originally mentioned. The E1L is the LED version, and provides 25 lumens. Finally, the L1 is roughly the same size as the E1 series, but is a two stage that provides 22 lumens max. I think this could help explain the other 4 posts in this thread.

Hope this helps!