Switching dumb heads on SF L1

linearintigrator

Newly Enlightened
I have an old style L1 that came with a white LUX1 head. What I want to find out is if I can put a different dumb head with a red Lux1 onto my white L1 body? Seeing as the Vf is different between red and white, will it damage the red head?
Any help is Greatly appreciated. Thanks, Dave

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dave,

IIRC, the L1s are/were available with different color luxeons in stock form, which should indicate that they are interchangeable. I've also modified a number of L1s using luxeons that weren't white and I didn't have to modify the converter at all. I just don't remember if I've ever done one in red. In any case, as long as the Vf of the luxeon is over 2.8v or so, you should be OK.

I'm not really up on colored luxeons, so I don't know how low the Vf of a red luxeon can get, but as long as the Vf of the luxeon is greater than the voltage of the power source, you'll be OK.

linearintigrator

Newly Enlightened
Thank You, Chop, for the quick reply. I thought it's better to ask first, than try, and possibly ruin a good head. I also wanted you to know that the PR head (TWOK with Downboy 700) that you built for me a few years ago, is still running great with daily use.
Thanks, Dave

Bogie

Enlightened
I havee a fist gen L1 with a red head along with a 2nd gen green head I got from a member on here thae I swap at will & need without issue as of yet

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dave, I'm glad to hear it. I've found, over the few years that I've been here, that if a light is built right and runs well for the first week or so without any problems, it will run for a LONG time thereafter. LED lights are like the Timex of lights. They just keep running.