What is a best throwing flashlight under $50 ?

10mmWiseman

Newly Enlightened
If your concern is throw then you can't beat an incan, especially at the price point you are looking at.

Surefire G2 or the Streamlight Scorpion would be fit your requirements.

cyberhobo

Enlightened
The Steamlight TL-3 (Xenon). Just a note, most torches over $100.00 (unmodified) don't even beat it in throw.

Lunarmodule

Enlightened
I hate to sound like a commercial for the thing but the Streamlight TL-3, although at the top of your budget range, outperforms lights twice its cost and just amazes right out of the box. I just acquired my second one. I wrinkled my nose at it before owning one, figuring others were just writing hype and I was pretty anti-incan those days also. Cant beat em, so join em: I did and have been very happy with it. Superb incan bulb and nice miniturbohead make for a giant killer combination. Perfect for outdoor use where practical size can produce unexpectedly potent throw capability and top notch color rendition in natural settings with nice dimensional cues: world looks 3d with good contrast and depth, not flat and monochrome like some LEDs tend to do. Center spot is nice and white, and dosent get real yellow using 2x 17500 cells, mantains good brightness/whiteness. A hearty recomendation for the overachiever TL-3. ;)

wojtek_pl

Enlightened
Luxman said:
For an LED light, The 3W 3xC LEDBEAM is Excellent.
Interesting flashlight... But they do not ship international (www.ledbeam.com).
Where else can I buy it ?
How big is Streamlight TL-3 ? Here in Poland I can buy one for about $112 ! :(

I Have Elektrolumens Tri-Star Phaser which is excellent light but is too big to EDC.

Last edited:

wwglen

Enlightened
2-C Maglight with 3 CR123's and a 7.2-8 Volt Bulb (5-6 cell bulb).

wwglen

Metro

Newly Enlightened
It's very comforting to read all these testimonials for the TL-3 seeing as I ordered one last night, my only regret is that I went for the free shipping instead of forking out a few bucks to get it quicker.

Metro...

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another factor in favor of the TL-3: Its 41mm head is the same diameter as the Surefire M3's. The TL-3 can use the M3 filters, diffuser (BeamShaper), and traffic wand.

SCblur

Enlightened
What about the PT Surge? My understanding is that thing throws like a mother. and it's smaller than a 2C mag. about $25

Metro

Newly Enlightened
sizzlechest said:
Where did you end up ordering it ? How much did you pay ?

47 and some change with free shipping, theres a link in my thread on 3 and 4Xcr123's to amazon.com

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Streamlight TL-3 is the best throwing light mentioned. The Surge is very similar, I swear it doesn't seem like it throws as far as the TL-3. My Surge is currently MIA so I can't post a comparison but size-wise, the TL-3 is nice and trim and is just a bit longer than a Maxfire or a Surefire G2. The Surge is very clunky in comparison. The Surge uses a unique 8AA battery carrier that is pretty ackward to get out of the light and the Surge has an odd switch that a lot of folks aren't crazy about.

On the other hand, the Surge should last about 4-5 hours on a set of cells while the TL-3 only lasts about an hour. And it costs half of what the TL-3 does here in the States.

Personally, I would MUCH rather have the TL-3 than the Surge.