Aleph III

Aaron

Newly Enlightened
This seems like what I'm looking for, which is a LED light that puts out 200+ lumens. Does anyone have any info about this light and where I can get one?

Thanks

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try the McGizmo forum here on CPF. I don't think they will do 200 lumens though, at least I don't think a Lux III can go that high yet.

Scott

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I you can't get a Lux III up to 200 Lumens unless it's a Red/Orange. Good Lux Vs put out more light than Lux IIIs, but since they have 4 die in them, it's hard to focus them as well and they don't throw as well as a good Lux III with a good reflector.

The big deal about the Aleph III head is how far it throws... It throws incredibly well for such a small light and with the 2 stage tailcap, even on low, it does a very good job. Actually, the Aleph I throws very well also and has what many would consider to be a more usable beam overall.

McGizmo makes/designs them and he has his own forum under The Custom and Mod sub-section.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
What are you after? If throw is what you want, you don't need a light that puts out 200 lumens. You just need something with a larger reflector.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah... the Aleph III I got to play with had a TW0H, TW0J or TW0K at I think 700ma and throw was very, very impressive.

VERY impressive.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
I don't think any single LED light will put out 200lm, not even the X-bin LuxV lights after counting the usual losses from refelctors, lenses and such.
The Aleph 3 is famous for its beam quality and throw in an E-Series set-up, but if you want 200lm ... go incan!

Here's the Aleph3 (which is a head, btw) on an SF E2e with Aleph 2-stage tailcap:

Aleph3NAT.jpg

bernie

ICUDoc

Enlightened
Aaron- listen to Kiessling, teach you he can...

200 lumens is very hard to do with single LED but three T-bins (PhotonFanatic has them for 10 bucks or so) will give you about that out the front. I think it was Icarus who built up a 3-T-bin Aleph III using three reflectors inside the head- it looks fantastic. But it will cost you!!!!!! If you chase up the Icarus thread you will see what you need and you can get it from PhotonFanatic (LEDs in Custom and Mod BST), AW (batteries and charger in Dealer's Corner), and the Sandwich Shoppe (Aleph parts and drivers). They have all given me great service- good luck!!!!!

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
Navck said:
Just wait a year or two, then you'll see 1500 lumen 20 watt LEDs.

Yes, and then I will have my SureFire M6 LED that runs 4 hours at 500 lumens.

Scott

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did a search about my new Aleph3 project and found this old thread.

Interesting to read the differences in technology 1 1/2 year ago, the possibilities, wishes and the reality today:grin2:

Bernie suggested: "...but if you want 200lm ... go incan!"

Nowadays easy practicable with a single Led:twothumbs

But now my question:

Does anybody own an Aleph3 light with SSC-P4, driven at ~750mA?

I would like to know the Lux-reading of such a set-up.

Thank you very much and best regards

____
Tom

Latest posts