College... YAY :(

Cornkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been working on Scholarships and College Apps for who knows how long. It REALLY sucks!

I have been accepted to: Kansas State University, Rose-Hulman University, and the University of Missouri at Rolla.

So 3-for-3 thus far.

Now I am waiting for the big schools: MIT, University of Virginia, and Cooper Union.

Does anyone have any advice as to what schools I should look into? Any Alumni?
Just looking for some advice before I take the next big step to the beginning of my adult life.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Congradulations, Corny!!!

College costs a lot more today than it did in the 70's when the G.I. Bill covered it for me. Do your research. Universities/colleges are rated by majors. (Like if you're an atty, Harvard Law looks real good.) Waiting for MIT suggests you may be considering science or engineering. :thumbsup:

Larry

LukeK

Enlightened
Texas A&M University has a very good engineering school, if that is what you're looking to go into. If you're going for liberal arts.....you might look elsewhere, heh.
I'm currently in my sophomore year at A&M and I love it.

Wherever you go, make sure to visit and try to get a feel for the campus before you commit.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I'm a bit biased, but the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill is considered to be one of the best state schools, academically and economically. I was there in the late '60's early 70's when it was really cheap. Today it's still one of the best bargains, relatively. If engineering is what you want, NC State in Raleigh is considered excellent. In the past State was a bit easier to get into, but they're both pretty tough now, especially for out of state folks. The weather's great here most of the time. No snow yet this winter. Mostly we just get ice. Another perk is being about three hours from the beach and the mountains.

Good luck on your search.

Geoff

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah Kansas. I was at Ft Riley training soldiers and one of them told me "you know, nothing ever happens here" and don't ya know it, that night we had a hostage stand-off at the hotel next door to where I was staying, and the next day we had a bison stampede right through the parking lot where we were doing the equipment training!

Anyway back to topic... college advice. I worked very hard and got into a pretty exclusive college. Attended it for 1 year and 1 semester and realized that I totally hated the place! Took a year off to work and consider what I really wanted and then went to a different college where I had a great educational and social experience.

My point is this: Be diligent in your applications but don't stress too much because you are NOT making any decision that you can't change. Switching schools may be a pain in the backside but it is certainly do-able.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Proud Wolfpacker (NC State) here!! :D

An outstanding institution. Still miss NC... :(

Flying Turtle said:
I'm a bit biased, but the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill is considered to be one of the best state schools, academically and economically. I was there in the late '60's early 70's when it was really cheap. Today it's still one of the best bargains, relatively. If engineering is what you want, NC State in Raleigh is considered excellent.

Last edited:

Cornkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, right now I would like to work for:

- Surefire (as an engineer)
- CERN (as a physicist)
- Raytheon ( as a communications engineer)
- Lockheed Martin(as an engineer)

I am looking for the best school and degree possible to reach one of these goals. (or more if possible)

too bad you only have one life... :( Oh well.

-tom

greenLED

Flashaholic
a careful selection of a graduate program (MS, and PhD) will help you achieve your goal too
Best luck, and enjoy!

magic79

Enlightened
I have a EE from Bradley University (Peoria, IL). Several of my high school classmates went to "big" schools: University of Illinois, Purdue, Ohio State.

I believe I got a much better education at a smaller school. I never had a class taught by a "graduate assistant", whereas friends at the big schools barely saw a "real" professor their first two years.

While big school professors are off doing research, ours were in the classroom.

BTW: Rose-Hulman is an EXCELLENT school.

nethiker

Enlightened
Good for you that you are so directed at a young age. I don't know about schools or programs, but I would suggest you take this opportunity to make contact with those compainies you are interested in. It's never too early to start networking.

You could start with contacting the HR department with each company and explain your ambitions to be a part of their team. Ask them what they are looking for when they hire for the positions you want. Be friendly yet assertive and let them know you will work hard in college to give them exactly what they need. Setting up a personal meeting would only help establish your relationship with that company. Do they have internships or other opportunities for you to start working for them even before you finish your education? Collect names and business cards for your rolodex and you will find that you already have your foot in the door even before you start school.

Keep in touch with the company and individuals you have met while you go to school. Give them updates, ask questions and keep on top of the industry for changing needs. When it comes time to submit your resume, you will stand out as someone they already know. Someone who has been working for the last four to eight years for that job at their company that you just applied for. I can't imagine how they would fail to be impressed.

This isn't how I did it. I went college for a good time and lacked direction. I was never chosen for the really competative jobs I applied for. But now with the benefit of age and experience, I can see how I should have done it if I knew what I wanted to do-- like you seem to.

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with having a good time in college, that should be a goal as well since it's just as important a part of your life as any other. It's just that there is a balance to life that seems to come easier to some than others.

You have my best wishes for the success you seek.

Greg

greenLED

Flashaholic
There are some horrendous professors, so don't be disappointed if you get a teaching assistant leading a class as it could be a better experience.

Last edited: