Altasnova 5mw Laser Questions

pizzaking

Newly Enlightened
Hi, im new and I just want to know if you guys could help me out.

I was wondering if this laser pointer on ebay is any good and if any of you have had any experience with it. Im very new with laser pointers and I had no idea there was such a community for modding them and that lasers were sold with such power to even burn things! Yeah I know all about the safety issues and everything but hows this laser

http://cgi.ebay.com/ATLASNOVA-ALL-B...ryZ94882QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Will I be able to find info on making this laser more powerful (not to burn things but to make it more visible) Just wondering if there is potential in making this toy reallly fun, Thanks

PS I know thats the basic legal 5mw laser and thats why its cheap because i'm not that big into these yet so I'm not into the whole 100 dollar plus bracket know what i mean?

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
AtlasNova sells Leadlight lasers... good stuff. Well-made and stable, and he's a trustworthy dealer.

As for modability I will leave that up to others to speak to.

Athoul

Enlightened
That looks like a 105 model. If it is then you can pot mod it, this will give you an extra 10-20mW out of it or so...in some cases even more. There's a thread on how to do this here in this forum so I'll not go into that, but the process is pretty straight forward just make sure you read the instructions and precautions.

Leadlights are actually pretty good as far as the 5mW units go and many people have confidence in Abeland, so it's most likely a good buy ;)

pizzaking

Newly Enlightened
alright thanks for the responses guys, I appreciate it. I can't wait for this green laser i never owned a green before!

abeland1

Enlightened
The "True" 5mW greens of mine on eBay will measure between 5 and 10mW. when someone buys one of these from my eBay store for $55.90 they get closer to 10 than to 5. If one of these goes at auction for less than that ( as frequently happens ) they get one measuring closer to 5mW but still over 5mW as is stated. As to the ability of the end user to adjust these for a higher output simply by removing the on button and sticking some sort of tool down into it and twisting is problematic at best. Some few attempting this will be lucky enough to gain some increase in output but will almost certainly shorten the life expectancy of the unit and cause instability. They will, of course, be happy with this and immediately announce their success to the world. This is just human nature. If, as will be the case for most of these attempts, something gets shorted out and blows up the pump diode or the pointer starts dying after a few uses, we will seldom hear anything about it. There are some very skilled and knowledgeable people on this board who have the ability to completely disassemble a GLP105 and greatly improve the performance of a "normal" GLP105 ( lasermod's work comes to mind ). At the urging of the FDA Leadlight makes them very difficult to take apart. I just received a return from an eBay customer of a $55.00 unit which had obviously been taken apart and pushed together again with a check to cover an upgrade to a $79.00 "Astronomy Grade" model. The funny thing was that he glued a generic type sticker onto it, not one of mine. I just sent it all back to him with a "nice try".

Last edited:

drjocker

Newly Enlightened
^I already own the 5mW green laser I purchoased from your website but I guess its time for an upgrade.I've been looking into the "Astronomy Grade" model, could you tell me how many mW it contains? And how much brighter is it compared to the 5mW one.

abeland1

Enlightened
drjocker said:
^I already own the 5mW green laser I purchoased from your website but I guess its time for an upgrade.I've been looking into the "Astronomy Grade" model, could you tell me how many mW it contains? And how much brighter is it compared to the 5mW one.
For the best deal I would suggest doing a search for "cpf special" on the forum and then give me a call.