Simple Infinity Ultra Q

L.E.D.

Enlightened
Recently picked up the Gerber version of this light at Sports Authority for 15 bucks. Pretty decent little light. Measured the current at the battery and it's pulling 195 mA from it. How much current out of that 195 is the LED really seeing?

CLHC

Flashaholic
Don't know. . .But I did have one of these and got rid of it straightaway after trying it out with included battery and just to test it with a fresh battery. For me, not enough light output. Overall, this little light looks appealing. Light output wise, NO WAY!

paulr

Flashaholic
I think the IU's all run around 40-50 mA. Figure the battery voltage (once it's been used a while) is around 1.2v. It must be tripled to 3.6v to run the led, plus there's some converter loss, so the led current is maybe 1/4 to 1/5th the battery current.

mykall

Enlightened
CHC said:
Don't know. . .But I did have one of these and got rid of it straightaway after trying it out with included battery and just to test it with a fresh battery. For me, not enough light output. Overall, this little light looks appealing. Light output wise, NO WAY!

You are right about the output. Mine is about a year old and I'm told that
the newest one with the Nichia CS has more output than mine, but still
not much by today's standards.

It is indeed an appealing design and I keep mine as a backup to the backup
light in my car. The fact that it CAN run for 30 or so hours on an alkie
is what I like about mine.

MB

CLHC

Flashaholic
There's a newer one with a Nichia CS LED? Would that LED be comparable to the ones found in the River Rock Design 1.5W LED Lantern I wonder. If so then—"things that make you go hmmm. . ."

Thanks for that info MyKall!

paulr

Flashaholic
1. The GIU won't run for 30 hours usefully on an alkie. More like 12 hours.

2. The RR 1.5W led lantern is much brighter than a GIU but won't run nearly as long per battery change. The GIU at around 40 mA which is about 0.15 watts.

3. There's no "hmm" about it, the lights are intended for different purposes. If you just want the max possible lumens, you can buy a 50 watt spotlight for about the same price as a GIU.