whale vomit

drizzle

Enlightened
What a story! I have to say this is NOT what I was expecting to find when I, after some hesitation, clicked on this thread. :)

I was vaguely aware of something called Ambergris but had no idea what it was, until now.

metalhed

Enlightened
I'm with drizzle on this one.

Sure will make future trips to the beach a lot more interesting

Maybe it will keep my eyes on something other then the other fine gems on the beach (my wife hates that). :cool:

TorchMan

Enlightened
I knew by the title of this thread what it would be about. One of my other "hobbies", before lights, was fragrance. Ever wonder where "musk" comes from? It's not all about animals for ingredients though, many plants are used as well, many "leather" notes are derived from plants.

It's been a while since I read up on it, but I believe that synthetic forms of Ambergris are being used. And despite the fact that I have many fragrances, to the point that most "normal" people don't understand, my collection was quite humble compared to some I've seen and read about on the net. I'll bet that Ambergris would buy a lot of flashlights and fragrances. And, a house and car or two. :grin2: