Exolion Ti CR2 Flashlight - Interest List

gregw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Exolion Ti CR2 Flashlight - Shipping Completed

Exolion SS (Stainless Steel) interest list started here.

Shipping Completed.

-----------------------------------------------------
Update 2 June (2nd)

I read in the review thread that some of you have had the O-ring in the front of the Exolion come out. This was an unexpected issue as I've been using the Exolion prototype for a few months, and this has never happened. Anyway, here are the procedures on how to re-install the O-ring should this happen to you.

Procedure to re-install the front O-ring:
1. Using a tweezer, insert each leg of the tweezer into the slots in the Can.
2. Unscrew the Can a few turns until there is a few mm of space in front of UCL in the Exolion.
3. Take out the O-ring and stretch it a little bit a few time to work the kinks out.
4. Re-insert into the front of the Exolion using the tweezer.
5. Tighten the Can until you feel pressure on the O-ring.

Regarding the O-ring, I just had a discussion with my machinist, and his opinion is that the transparent silicon O-ring is probably less compressible and more slippery than the black rubber O-ring, and therefore, pressure on it could cause it to slip out. If you are having problems with it, I would suggest that you switch it out with the spare black O-ring I've included.

Update 2 June

ALL Exolions have been SHIPPED!!!

I've updated the list at the beginning of this thread with all the EMS shipping tracking numbers. You can track your EMS shipment at Hong Kong Post here. This should also show up at the USPS Tracking page here when the package arrives in the US.

Update 1 June

Guys, I've just installed the new foam pad at the bottom of your Exolions before sending it out. The new foam pad may make it "stiff" and difficult to turn on your Exolions. If this is the case with your Exolion, please put the sticker back onto the positive pole of the RCR2 battery, then tighten your Exolions until it is the "on" stage, and leave it for a day or so to soften the foam pad. This should improve the feel, and make it easier to turn it on.

Update 1 June

Shipped 21 packages today... The remaining Exolions will be shipped tomorrow..

Update 30 May

2nd batch of 28 just shipped. :) The rest will ship on Thursday. :grin2:

Update 29 May

First batch of 28 shipped today.. :) Random numbers, were sent, so don't bug me on whether yours has been shipped or not. I will update a complete list once everything has been sent out. I anticipate at least two more trips to the post office to completely ship these out.. :ohgeez: One more batch tomorrow, then the last batch on Thursday, since Wednesday is a public holiday here in Hong Kong.

Update 26 May (midnight)

I've basically finished assembling all the Exolions today... :sweat: I'm not even going to bother taking a picture because I've wrapped everything up and put it safely away until I take them out one by one to clean up, grease, re-check operations, and then pack/label in envelope, ready to be sent out.. :)

The packing will be done this week end, so I will be sending out the first batch on MONDAY!! :grin2:

Update 26 May

Final assembly is taking slightly longer than anticipated... Almost half done..
finished1.jpg

I'll try to see if I can get some of these out tomorrow, but it will probably be at least Saturday before I can get to the post office. Still need to clean my grubby/greasy fingerprints off these beauties before I can start packing them up.. :)

Update 24 May

The heads have been completed. :) See picture below:
engraving.jpg

Update 23 May

I have just received the touched/cleaned up tail sections from the machinist, and have started to wash/clean the tail of any grease, dirt, etc. After cleaning, I will proceed to installing the O-ring, foam ring and tritium. I'll have pictures once I've completed the tails. :)

The head sections are still with the laser engraver. These should be ready tomorrow. :rock:

Update 19 May

The bodies are finally at the laser engravers.. :) This is the last step before final assembly. Talking to the engravers today, they say that I should be able to pick up the completed bodies next Tuesday, which means that final assembly will begin next Wednesday. So, it looks like I should be able to begin sending out the first batch of Exolions, by Thursday or Friday. :D

Update 16 May

I just remembered that the post office told me that for EMS, I will need the phone number of the addressee on the form... Since the default address from Paypal doesn't include your phone numbers, I will need those of you who have selected EMS Shipping to email me at
ccpaypal.jpg
with the following information:

Exolion Ti - EMS Shipping
CPF Name:
Serial # Reserved:
Phone Number:

Update 10 May

Exolion bodies are completed. :) Please see pictures below.

Final payment is now due. Please see this thread for payment information.

However, the bodies still need to be cleaned/touched up, and then sent out for laser engraving. After that, I will get the bodies back, and final assembly can be started. I'm expecting to begin final assembly early next week, which means that I can definitely start sending these out around 10 days to two weeks from today.

lot1.jpg

lot2.jpg

lot3.jpg

lot4.jpg

lot6.jpg

Update 5 May

Light Engine assembly has been completed.. :grin2: To prevent dust, dirt, etc on the completed assembly, each Light Engine has been put into it's own little bag for protection. :)

lightengine.jpg

After talking to the machinist, it looks like the Exolion Ti bodies will be completed early next week. I will post pictures of the completed bodies when they are done, as well as start collecting final payment at that time. :)

Update 3 May

Here are two pictures of the LED centering tool in action. :)

1. Place sandwich in bottom section of tool, place LED on sandwich, and press down firmly with top section of tool. The top section has a cone shaped hole in the center which moves the LED to center when pressed down. Leave top section in place while soldering.
tool1.jpg

2. LED done. NEXT! :grin2:
tool2.jpg

Update 1 May

The Exolion bodies are about 95% done. They should, hopefully, be completed within the next 7 to 10 days. I have also decided that I will only collect the final payment once the bodies are completed and are ready for laser engraving and final assembly. Since this is the case, please get your money ready for the final payment in the next 7 to 10 days.

Here's a summary of the final payment amounts:
Final payment for Exolion - $125

Shipping options (please pick one):
1. Standard Registered Airmail (10 - 14 days) - $9
2. EMS with tracking to USA ONLY (5 days) - $26
3. EMS with tracking to CANADA ONLY (5 days) - $29
If you want EMS and you are located outside of USA or Canada, please PM so I can get you the cost.

Optional Pouch for Exolion - $8.50

In the mean time, I've already started putting together the LED/sandwich/Can.. As you can see, the LED and sandwich are perfectly centered as I've asked the machine shop to create a centering tool to center the LED as well as for the assembly of the sandwiches. Pictures below:

can1.jpg

can2.jpg

can3.jpg

can4.jpg

Update 27 Apr

Here is the runtime graph for "High" mode. The default "High" is set at level 10 out of 20 levels, but is user adjustable.

testhigh.jpg

Here is the runtime graph for "Low" mode.

testlow.jpg

Update 26 Apr

Here is the runtime graph for "Burst" mode. This test was done with a fan blowing directly on the Exolion during the test run:

testmax.jpg

High and Low runtimes will be posted later.

Update 16 Apr

Here are the operating instructions for the Exolion:

exolionops.jpg

You can also download the instructions in a PDF file here.

Update 15 Apr

Beamshots Comparison:

Please note that the emitter in the prototype Exolion is a TWOH, and this one actually appears quite yellow when under driven. The production Exolion will be using a TXOH emitter, which should be less warm. The colour of the walls and the door are also warm white, so this will affect the beam colour as well. Distance to door is about 10 feet.

CR2 Ion Low:
cr2ionlow.jpg

CR2 Ion High:
cr2ionhigh.jpg

Jil 1.3W FluPIC Burst:
jilflupicburst.jpg

Firefly2 Pop2 High:
firefly2high.jpg

Exolion Low:
exolionlow.jpg

Exolion High:
exolionhigh.jpg

Exolion Burst:
exolionburst.jpg

Update 7 Apr

The machine shop is still busy doing the tail of the Exolion. The machining process is approximately 1 hour per tail piece, so it's taking quite a long time to do. I will take some pictures once I have them back.

Update 29 Mar

I just received a sample leather sheath/carry case from AW. This will be available as an optional item for Exolion owners, and will cost an extra $8.50 if added to your Exolion final payment. Please DO NOT contact me to reserve this. If you want one, just simply add an additional $8.50 to your final payment and state that you want a sheath in your paypal message. Pictures below:

case1.jpg

case2.jpg

case3.jpg

Update 26 Mar

Here are some pictures of Exolion bodies that were produced during the test run of the machining process. This small test run was done to ensure that there will not be any problems once machining begins for the final production of all 100 bodies..

prod1.jpg

prod2.jpg

prod3.jpg

prod4.jpg

prod5.jpg

prod6.jpg

prod7.jpg

Update 25 Mar

Sold Out.. :)

Update 22 Mar

Due to a number of drop outs, there are still 4 Exolions available. If you are interested in getting one, please see the payment thread for instructions on sending me a $100 deposit.

The estimated schedule for the collection of the final balance is the beginning of May. If all goes according to plan, I will be sending out the Exolion to you by the 2nd week of May.

I may have a solution for those of you who are concerned about scratching your Exolions when you put them on your keychains... :) I was talking to AW today, and found out that he has a custom leather carry case that will fit the Exolion and has a clip that will allow the case to be clipped to your keychain. I will be getting a sample of the leather case in about a week, and will post some photos at that time.

This will be an optional item, and can be added to your order prior to the final payment. The price has still not been confirmed, but I don't expect it to cost more than $10.

Update 17 Mar

I did some waterproof testing today.. I turned on the Exolion to Burst mode, and put it in a basin of cold water for approximately 10 minutes. During that time, I let the Exolion sit in the water, and also used the Exolion to swirl around the water. After that, I dried the Exolion externally and opened it up. With a dry tissue paper, I wiped the battery and the inside of the battery compartment as well as the bottom of the sandwich... It was DRY! :)

watertest.jpg

Update 15 March - Final Prototype, Deposit Due

Hi all,

It's been a long road getting the Exolion from concept to final prototype, :sweat: but it's finally HERE!!..

Final specifications are:
Full Titanium body
Brass "Can" for better heat transference
UCL™ lens from Flashlightlens.com for 99% light transmission
McGizmo's McR-16 reflector for that perfect beam
Premium TXOH emitter
Three stage light (Low, High, Burst), with user adjustable High level
Full O-Ring protection
Green Tritium vial in the tail
Protected RCR2 battery
Dimensions: 50mm x 18.9mm

The Burst mode on the three stage will remain at 800mah, but is recommended for intermittent use only. Low will be approximately 20+mah, and High level will be user adjustable between the two levels. The on/off switching between levels will be 0.8 seconds.

The final interface will be as follows:
1st On - Low
2nd On - High
3rd On - Burst
4th On - Low
5th On - High
6th On - Burst
7th On - User adjustment to High level

Each flashlight will also be laser engraved with "Exolion Ti", and will include a serial number in the format 01/XX.

Here are some pictures of the final prototype.. :)
final1.jpg

final2.jpg

final3.jpg

final4.jpg

final5.jpg

final6.jpg

final7.jpg

A $100 deposit is now due. I've created a payment thread over at Custom B/S/T here. Please note that you have 7 days to make the payment. If you do not pay within that timeframe, you will lose your reservation to those on the waiting list. If you have difficulty coming up with the deposit within 7 days, please PM and we can discuss it.

Update 11 Mar

The machine shop had to find a special tool to do the tritium slot as the ones they were using, was breaking at an alarming rate when trying to cut the slot on Grade 5 Titanium. That's why there is a slight delay in getting the final prototype. In any case, this final problem seems to have been resolved, as can be seen by the picture below. :)

proto8.jpg

There are still some minor clean up and adjustments that need to be made, but as soon as I have those resolved, I will be posting the final specs, and then collecting the $100 deposit... I would expect this to finally happen, around Monday or Tuesday.

Update 6 Mar

I should have the final prototype in hand within a few days, and I will test it out to ensure that all the little changes and tweaks I've asked for have been incorporated. Once that is done, I will be posting the final specs and asking for a $100 deposit. I'm expecting that I should be calling for the deposit about 1 week from today, so all those on the reserve list, please get your money ready.. ;)

Update 4 Mar

Here are some new pictures of the final prototype in progress.. :)

proto1.jpg

proto2.jpg

proto3.jpg

proto4.jpg

proto5.jpg

proto6.jpg

proto7.jpg

Update 2 Mar

Here's a "proof of concept" on the tail design. :rock: This time, it is a really really rough piece and basically just goes through the process of creating the tail on a rod the same size as will be used on the Exolion.

tail.jpg

Update 1 Mar

Quick news update... The tail design may not need to change after all, and aside from some small size differences, will be substantially similar to the design as drawn in the CAD diagrams :)

The "Can" on the Exolion will be made of Brass instead of Copper as it is very thin and Copper "sticks" to the tool too much to machine properly without destroying the "Can". Instead of epoxying the sandwich, a retaining ring will now be machined for the "Can", so Exolion owners can now easily change out the sandwich without buying a 2nd "Can". The 6AL-4V titanium rods for the Exolion has arrived. :) Tail design is still being finalised, but I hope to have a "proof of concept" tail in a few days.

Update 27 Feb

Here's a beamshot... There is a very very slight occlusion of the outside edge of the corona by the crenellated bezel, and the beam is not perfectly round, but it is only visible if you are wall hunting less than 3 feet away from the wall... I've tried to capture this, but can't seem to be able to show it. This beamshot was taken with the Exolion about 3 feet away from the wall.

beamshot.jpg

Here are some new pictures of the Exolion's new revised "proof of concept head". Please note that the flutes have not been "cleaned" as the machinist was trying to get it to me and didn't have time to clean it up. Differences from the last picture are, the side flutes on the head, and the lens was moved up 1mm, closer to the crenellated bezel. This results in reducing the overall length of the flashlight by 1mm.. :)

Length when off: :)
size3.jpg

Thickness of the head at the lip:
size4.jpg

Left to right in the photo below: Jil 1.3W, Firefly II with CR2 body, CR2 Ion, Exolion working model, Arc AAA
size5.jpg

working3.jpg

working4.jpg

Update 26 Feb

Here are some pictures of the "proof of concept/working model" to wet your appetites. The machining on this is NOT complete, and is simply a test piece for fitting the internal components, as well as to see how the crenellated head, and octagonal tail will turn out. Note that this is the shortest of the lot, even with the crenellated head. :) The design is still being "tweaked", so there will be slight changes from this to the final prototype. Please note that even though the crenellated head looks quite pronounced, it is COMPLETELY smoothed and will not cut/snag on clothing. I've carried this in my pocket, and it definitely will not put a hole in your pocket.

Left to right in the two photos below: Jil 1.3W, Firefly II with CR2 body, CR2 Ion, Exolion working model, Arc AAA
size1.jpg

size2.jpg

working1.jpg

working2.jpg

Update 19 Feb

There are some last minute changes to the production design as the machinist has discovered that some details in the tail maybe impossible to machine reliably due to the hardness of the titanium and the small size of the tool used. If unchanged, it will result in an unacceptable level of rejects due to tool breakage.. This will mean that the tail of the prototype will need to change. :awman:

Due to the change, the final prototype will only be out at the end of February.

The good news is that the Exolion Ti CR2 will be made from Grade 5 (6AL-4V) titanium, which has the highest tensile and yield strength of all titanium alloys, and has a typical Rockwell C scale hardness of 36. For a spec sheet of the grades and strength of titanium alloys, click here. Unfortunately, it also makes it just too difficult to produce the Exolion as designed.

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi all,

I'm doing a limited run of a titanium CR2 flashlight using a protected RCR2 battery as the power source. I've named it the Exolion Ti CR2.

Specs of this flashlight are:
Full Titanium body
Brass "Can" for better heat transference
UCL™ lens from Flashlightlens.com for 99% light transmission
McGizmo's McR-16 reflector for that perfect beam
Premium TWOH/TXOH emitter
Three stage light (Low, High, Burst), with user adjustable High level
Full O-Ring protection
Green Tritium vial in the tail
Protected RCR2 battery
Dimensions: 50mm x 18.9mm

This light is meant to be a tough key-chain light that hangs together with all your keys for EDC. Even with a Grade 5 (6AL-4V) titanium body, there will eventually be scratches if you put it on the keychain, but it should not affect the appearance of the Exolion as the scratches will blend in with the machined finish of the titanium body. This is unlike an HAIII aluminium flashlight, where each scratch will stand out, appearing in silver, once the scratch is deep enough to penetrate the HAIII layer.

I've always appreciated good throw, and a perfect beam from my flashlights, which is why I will be using McGizmo's McR-16 for the reflector. With the use of UCL lens, this ensures that as much light as possible goes out the front end. In addition, the use of a protected Rechargable RCR2 really makes it a user as you won't have to spend any more money on lithium batteries, and also won't have to worry about over discharging your Li-ion battery.

With the three stage light, this makes it easy for anyone to find a suitable light level. Low level is approximately 30ma to the LED, and Burst is approximately 800ma (subject to change) to the LED. The High level is fully user adjustable anywhere between the two current levels. You will need to twist on/off within 0.8 seconds to go from one light level to the next. Please note that Burst level should only be used intermittantly as the high current to the LED will produce too much heat for such a small flashlight to cope with for extended periods.

The interface will be as follows:
1st On - Low
2nd On - High
3rd On - Burst
4th On - Low
5th On - High
6th On - Burst
7th On - User adjustment to High level

This is a very simplified interface, and there is no reason for you to twist more than 3 times to select one of the three different light levels. I've specified a repeat of the Low, High, and Burst cycle before the user adjustment, just in case you missed it the first time around.

Each flashlight will also be laser engraved with "Exolion Ti", and will include a serial number in the format 01/XX.

The price will be $225, and includes one Protected RCR2 battery. Shipping by registered airmail will be $9.

Here are some drawings of how it will look:

cr2a.jpg

cr2b.jpg

cr2c.jpg

cr2d.jpg

cr2e.jpg

cr2f.jpg

cr2g.jpg

Please post your interest on this thread. If you want a specific serial number, please indicate that in your post so I can reserve the number for you. Please pick a number between 1 - 100. All numbers are available as I am not reserving any numbers for myself. Please see the 2nd post below for numbers that have already been reserved.

The first prototype will be out very soon, and I will post more information as I get that in my hands. Please note that specifications may change as I play with the prototype and make improvements to the design. :)

I will be taking a 50% deposit, hopefully by the beginning of March. I'm expecting to collect the final payment, as well as send out the flash lights approximately 8 weeks after the initial deposit.

Last edited:

gregw

Flashlight Enthusiast
marcspar said:
I'm in! Serial number 4 please.

Marc

ps - what does Exolion mean?

Exo = Exotic material e.g. Titanium
Lion = Li-ion

:naughty:

gregw

Flashlight Enthusiast
flashlight said:
Hi Greg,

Can I have #8 please.

Expected date of delivery? Total run number? :)

Hi Cyril,

#8 is yours.

I can't give a definite answer on the delivery date, but it should be within 4 - 6 weeks from when I start collecting initial deposits. Total number really depends on interest, but I expect it to be less than 100. :)

neon

Newly Enlightened
Hello greg,

Is it possible for me to take number #69 ?
When likely you will collect the payment?

Thanks!

gregw

Flashlight Enthusiast
neon said:
Hello greg,

Is it possible for me to take number #69 ?
When likely you will collect the payment?

Thanks!

Hi neon,

#69 is yours.

After playing around with the prototypes and finalizing the design, I intend to collect a 50% initial deposit once I see that there is enough interest for me to begin doing the run. The rest of the payment will be expected just before I send out the flashlight to you. Initial deposits may happen as soon as within the next two weeks, if everything goes as planned.

EricMack

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Greg. I see there appear to be cuts in the side of the body. Any thought of the Tritium inserts in the body instead/in addition to the tail? Maybe too ORBish, but pretty handy when trying to locate the keys in the bottom of a dark bag. Love the bezel!! Hopefully not too sharp, though:ohgeez:

Eric

gregw

Flashlight Enthusiast
EricMack said:
Hi Greg. I see there appear to be cuts in the side of the body. Any thought of the Tritium inserts in the body instead/in addition to the tail? Maybe too ORBish, but pretty handy when trying to locate the keys in the bottom of a dark bag. Love the bezel!! Hopefully not too sharp, though:ohgeez:

Eric

Hi Eric,

The cuts on the side probably won't be deep enough to protect the tritium vial, and probably isn't a good idea if this flashlight is used as intended on a keychain.. I love the bezel too, but will play with the prototype to see if I need to reduce it after actually putting the thing in my pocket with my keys.. :laughing:

EricMack

Flashlight Enthusiast
gregw said:
Hi Eric,

The cuts on the side probably won't be deep enough to protect the tritium vial, and probably isn't a good idea if this flashlight is used as intended on a keychain.. I love the bezel too, but will play with the prototype to see if I need to reduce it after actually putting the thing in my pocket with my keys.. :laughing:

Good luck finding someone to Beta-test that issue!:lolsign:

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
please put me on the interested list. I personally do not care for all of those mode selections. I would like an on of off light. Ti twisting action is not as smooth and easy as aluminum. it is harder to operate with one hand if tight and if there are a bunch of modes to go through it might be tough.

Still please put me down for one.
Yaesumofo

gregw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've thought about this for quite a while, and have come to the conclusion that 2 stage, for me, just isn't going to be enough. My reasoning is this.. I use the low, for really dark places such as a cinema, or when you're just looking for the key hole in your front door. The middle level, is when there is some ambient light, but you need to use your flashlight to light up an area with dark shadows, and can be used for extended run. And the high, is basically to show your friends how bright your tiny tiny little flashlight actually is.. :laughing:

Note that the middle level is fully adjustable, so you can set it to whatever level you want.

Another "problem" with a simple 2 stage is that what I consider high, may not be bright enough for some of you, but maybe too bright for some of you. This way, there is one level that YOU can set, so it is exactly how you like it.

Last edited:

Kiu

Enlightened
Hi Greg,
You know I definitely in!:rock:
Please put me down for the #3 :naughty:

Kiu

Last edited: