How good are LED based 120V light bulbs?

owenbright

Newly Enlightened
I've seen a few LED light bulbs available and was wondering how good they are.
The only review I've seen so far is the one quickbeam did and from the review
it seems like they are not very bright at all.
I wonder if we can replace the regular light bulbs with LED's at some point.
I'm already using flourescents as they are more electricity friendly and don't blow out every couple months.

BatteryCharger

Flashlight Enthusiast
120v LED lights are a huge waste of money. Compact Fluorescents provide more light from the same wattage, and of course cost much, MUCH less to buy. They also put out a more natural color. Until LEDs rival the efficiency of fluorescent and HID, (and I don't doubt they will) they have no business in home lighting.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I agreed with BastteryCharger. The only things that I can see 120v LEDs used for are long lasting night lights, "effects" ligiting, Christmas lights and a fairly indestructible test lamp for checking live circuits. For everything else a CFL beats the pants off of them.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Current LED lightbulbs produce the equivalent light to a 1 to 2 watt LED flashlight. Turn off the room lights, do a ceiling bounce with a 1 or 3 watt flashlight and you can get a feel for how dim it is.

Similar threads

Here is a link to a CPFer who modded his house with LED lights.
LED lightbulbs for the home.
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=98986

USE LED, Shut down a Nuclear power plant!
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96816

What's the brightest LED ? what's the chance they will replace Flourescent lights in
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=102275

WARNING
NONE of the LED bulbs I purchased are UL listed nor CSA approved. All 115 volt equipment should be tested for fire and electrical shock safety, and the approval stamp should be on it. Equipment 24 volt and under (that's most flashlights) are not required to be tested.
There was a recall of LED Christmas lights in Novia Scotia due to fire hazard from a faulty component. (And those lights were previously CSA approved)

owenbright

Newly Enlightened
LEDninja,
Thank you for the links :)

As I said I already use fluorescents, but was just wondering if there's anything even
more efficient.

amphipolis

Newly Enlightened
I received an LED light bulb as a gift. It is not very bright but it makes a good reading light. I can direct the lamp at my book without lighting up the entire room. So in this usage, the dimness is actually a benefit. For a light fixture that you want to light the room, I would stick with the CCF light bulbs that are on the market.

twentysixtwo

Enlightened
One place I think LED bulbs would be good is in night lights or the tiny lights you put inappliances (think of thelights in your range hood)

fineday

Newly Enlightened
hmmm...
I don't think LED based light can replace the original lights.
One of the problems is the LED's light effeciency now is not high enough.
Luxeon have just released the newest white LEDs whose effeciency have reached 65Lm/W, however, only this is far form enough... I think if LED wants to take place of original light equipments, its light effeciency should at least reach 130Lm/W.
And about the color of LEDs... I find that LEDs usually have a wide range of color temperature which may do harm to the mixed light the LED based lights provide... I'm not sure.

owenbright

Newly Enlightened
All the bulbs in my apt are flourescent except for the ones in the bathroom. The warning label says something about not letting water on it. It also says to not
keep it enclosed, so I can't put a cover over it.
I'm gonna have to play with some of the LED models shown in the link LEDninja posted.

BEpsilon

Newly Enlightened
PhotonWrangler said:
I agreed with BastteryCharger. The only things that I can see 120v LEDs used for are long lasting night lights, "effects" ligiting, Christmas lights and a fairly indestructible test lamp for checking live circuits. For everything else a CFL beats the pants off of them.

Speaking of 120Vac LED lights (including night-lights), does anyone know a good rectified circuit for multiple LEDs? Anyone tried to build one? Thanks.

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
amphipolis said:
I received an LED light bulb as a gift. It is not very bright but it makes a good reading light. I can direct the lamp at my book without lighting up the entire room. So in this usage, the dimness is actually a benefit. For a light fixture that you want to light the room, I would stick with the CCF light bulbs that are on the market.

I agree wholeheartedly. I have used an LED 110v "bulb" in my desk lamp, because the only thing it really needs to do is illuminate my keyboard and mouse so I can see them. I'm not lighting up the whole room, so that's no worry for me. It's not so bright it would wake anybody up in the room, it's quite directional, pretty much everything I'd want.