cheap flashlight, options for throw or run-time choice

the_beast

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for a flashlight for travelling the world with, and I'm hoping people can point me in the right direction. I (think) I know what I want, but I just can't find the exact products to fit my needs.

Basically I want a light & cheap flashlight, with different options for throw & extended run-time. I had thought of the PT Attitude with a few Rage incan replacement bulbs, but this will run on AAAs which are not always the easiet battery to find in some countries. I then thought of the ProPoly Lux on AAs, but it doesn't have a long enough run time. I've heard bad things about the 7-led drop-in failing. I don't want my leds to blow leaving me with only a high powered battery gobbler when I might be a long way from replacements! If possible I only want to carry 1 body (to minimise weight/bulk), with the extra heads stored in film cases until needed. I know this will leave me without light if I lose/damage that 1 body, but I will probably get an ARC AAA as backup just in case of that.

Have I missed any other options? Do PT or anybody else make Luxeon/incan/5mm flashlights that share bodies and use commonly available AAs? Or has anybody managed to mod a 7led propoly to reduce the overdrive on the leds?

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Check with with Streamlight....I think they have a 2xAA Twin Task flashlight.

CLHC

Flashaholic
Just wondering that part on "ProPoly Lux. . .doesn't have a long enough run time." You are going to be using the flashlight on continuous per episode?

I realize the benefits of EDCing light (as in weight). But I think 4 hours runtime is pretty much long enough, but I do use it a few minutes at a time on a daily basis. Besides, at least for me, I have 8 dbAs in a spares carrier that can be had easily from places such as Fry's Electronics.

Either way, Your Modus May Vary accordingly so. Hope you find what you're looking for and Enjoy!

the_beast

Newly Enlightened
It's not really that 4 hrs isn't long enough, it's more that the lux will produce way more light than I will want (or need). And as for carrying extra batteries to make up for it - the point is that I want everything to be as light as possible. Every extra ounce matters when you have to carry everything you own! This is also the problem with the TwinTask - I've never held one but I assume it's considerably heavier than a ProPoly with much shorter run time and output, even discounting the fact that the propoly contains an extra cell.

I guess what I am really looking for is a way of modding the 7 led propoly more reliable. I know I can run it on 3 cells and a dummy, but then I have to keep track of (and carry) a dummy cell. To be honest I think the 7 led propoly will also produce much more light than I need, but as Streamlight claim it will last for so long on 4 cells this doesn't matter to me. I would really prefer something with the output of the 3 led PT attitude but running on 4 AAs. I want to have the option of the increased throw of the lux for whenever (if ever) the need for it arose. If I can add/change a resistor to reduce the output of the 7 leds that would be perfect.

With such as setup I would hope to get through a month long trip with minimal battery changes, but still retain the option of being able to get replacement cells locally.

CLHC

Flashaholic
Ever tried looking into the UK (UnderwaterKinetics) line? I'm sure others will give their input here.

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
Turtle, good ideer! The Eternalights run on AAs found the world over, and you can replace the LEDs if need be. The most expensive one can be bought with seats for the LEDs so you can swap them out whenever. But quite a few are under $50, and even less refurbished. They can float (with lithiums), have many levels and are a good emergency light, too.

I hadn't thought of that alternative since I'm used to packing 123 lights. They are surely less common than AAs, but I've bought 123s in the middle of India and China. But I've left backpacking behind, too, and plastic is lighter than metal, last time I checked!

good luck and safe travels, beast
daloosh

BTW, welcome to CPF, why dontcha stay awhile!

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
I suspect that at least part of your posting can be attributed to quite bluntly, believing everything you read on web sites.

There are cases where the ProPoly 7LED have sustained minor heat damage (especially to the plastic reflector) after prolonged usage (I managed to create some minute bubbling on the reflector after about 2.5 hours of continued burn time, but it wasn't noticeable to the average eye, and didn't really impact the performance.) Realistically, if you want to use the 7LED, I don't think you'd have a problem with it in normal use. If you do have a concern, use NiMH batteries. If you're travelling to areas that do have electricity, most of the chargers these days are universal voltage, so you shouldn't have a problem charging the batteries, and of course, AA batteries are available in just about any country (though carrying a couple of extra packs won't hurt and it doesn't take much space.) Additionally, on NiMH batteries, you get an awful lot of burn time on a single charge.

One other alternative you may to consider if the 7LED or Propoly Luxeon is too big or too much light, might just be a common ol' MiniMag with a Nite-Ize LED module. The combination is about half the cost of a Propoly, takes up about half as much space, and has a very long run time to 50% brightness.

Personally though, I'd be more inclined to go with the 4AA ProPoly Luxeon, just 'cause it's probably one of the best bang for the buck lights on the market today.

the_beast said:
I'm looking for a flashlight for travelling the world with, and I'm hoping people can point me in the right direction.

I then thought of the ProPoly Lux on AAs, but it doesn't have a long enough run time. I've heard bad things about the 7-led drop-in failing. I don't want my leds to blow leaving me with only a high powered battery gobbler when I might be a long way from replacements!

flashlite

Enlightened
How about PT Tec 40? Some people question the wisdom of using a LED drop-in in the Tec 40 but your situation is precisely why I think it makes sense. It gives you the flexibility of throw, with about 5 hours of run time on the included incan. bulb, or longer run time with an LED replacement bulb. Since the Tec 40 uses an unproprietary PR bulb, you can get replacements anywhere and you can use one of the many replacement LED bulbs available too. Rather than carry around an extra head, you just carry an extra bulb. It also takes 4 AA.

You might also want to look at the UK 4AA eLED. It's not super bright but I believe run time is in the 7 - 8 hour range. You can purchase a proprietary incan. lamp assembly for it too but it might not fit in a film canister.

paulr

Flashaholic
I'd say don't attempt bothering with a multi-function light. Keep in mind that you may want to run on absolute crap zinc-carbon AA cells that won't run a high powered light no matter what.

A CMG Ultra-G or equivalent is just about perfect for most of your requirements. If you really need throw sometimes, carry a separate light for that, maybe a PT40 and a few spare bulbs. Or alternatively, your favorite 1x123 or 2x123 light or even a Fenix L1p or L2p, plus a few lithium AA cells.

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think that you should bring more than one light. Many are small and light enough. Also, spares will depend on how long you will be gone. You should make sure one of the lights runs on AA's. Depending on where you end up you could also be in a position to buy a second or third light there.

I was thinking ARC-P and a package of 4 AAA lithiums if you think getting AAA's will be a problem. Maybe on a lanyard. 5 hrs to 50% brightness.

I was also thinking Mini-Mag AA with the Nite-Ize. Keep the regular extra incandescent bulb in the tailcap for backup. Both light and LED together are $12 at Walmart. 10 hours to 50% brightness.

The SL PolyPro 7 LED is much bigger than both of those above put together. The SL PolyPro luxeon is the same size as the 7LED with great throw and a great beam. I have both and would take the luxeon version and the ARC or Mini-Mag above for close-up work.
I don't usually bring expensive lights traveling but if you want one body bring an E2e with the new KL1 head, a beam diffuser and a McGizmo 2 stage tailcap. When you want throw take of the diffuser. Of course you will need to pack a dozen 123 batteries.
If you chose this option I would also recommend you bring another AA light too.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
They aren't the brightest or prettiest or latest or greatest lights in the world but I know that if I had to leave tomorrow for a trip or unknown duration and unknown destination that, along with whatever else I brought, I would absolutely bring an Infinity Ultra. Actually, I own three a the moment and I would bring all three.

Decent output, huge spillbeam, decent regulation, long runtime and they run of a single AA cell. What more could you possibly ask of a relatively small, relatively dim flashlight?

The UK and Princeton lines offer several lights that, again while not being super exciting, are very reasonable and well suited to many purposes. Lights like the Impact, Attitude and then mag mods like the Opalec Newbeam and the Nite Ize mods are very usable and give very nice runtime.

CLHC

Flashaholic
After a while the Streamlight 4dbA ProPolymer SSL starts to "flicker" for some unknown reason (at least the one I have). The SL.PP.LUX has a longer head as compared to its breathren and does come with a lanyard while nein for the other. . .Also there's more battery rattle with the SSL compared to the LUX model. Maybe that's why it was "cheaper!"

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the flickering is probably unique to your light. You may want to contact Streamlight (or Summit Uniforms in San Jose) about getting warranty service on it. The only electrical componenet is the LED lamp assembly, so in a worse case scenario, if you weren't covered under warranty, that's all you'd have to replace (which probably costs more than the light did originally.)

Odd that you would think that there is more battery rattle in one than the other, since they both use the same case for the batteries. Perhaps there's more pressure from the Lux head than from the 7LED/Xenon head, or it's that pin that goes into the postive contact from the Luxeon head that makes it less pronounced.

CHC said:
After a while the Streamlight 4dbA ProPolymer SSL starts to "flicker" for some unknown reason (at least the one I have). The SL.PP.LUX has a longer head as compared to its breathren and does come with a lanyard while nein for the other. . .Also there's more battery rattle with the SSL compared to the LUX model. Maybe that's why it was "cheaper!"

CLHC

Flashaholic
Brighteyez said:
Perhaps there's more pressure from the Lux head than from the 7LED/Xenon head, or it's that pin that goes into the postive contact from the Luxeon head that makes it less pronounced.

Summit Uniforms on Meridian. . .Thanks!

Summed up right. I prefer the SL.LUX because it feels solid as opposed to the SL.SSL. The latter started flickering after about a week's worth of use and after I drained down the original set of batteries that came with it. Wanted to see how long it'll go running continuous. It felt warm and the "electrical smell" that's familiar. . .With new and fresh set of dbAs in, the flicker began. Never been dropped. . .But it is a decent lighting tool that I find useful and purposeful for my needs.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know if Summit will replace it, fix it, or just send it on to Streamlight, but they are a warranty station for Streamlight. I've had a couple of 7LEDs from the time that Costco was selling them for $20. Other than intentionally running one for a couple of hours to see what kind of damage I could do to the plastic reflector. Didn't get any "electrical" smell, but rather the smell of plastic burning (turned out to be the mylar platining on the reflector bubbling). Other than that, I've run NiMHs in them and haven't had problems or any noticable difference in light output.

The Lux is just a brand new ballgame in what is possible with the ProPolys and I think Streamlight has hit a home run with both of their ProPoly offerings.

CHC said:
Summit Uniforms on Meridian. . .Thanks!

Summed up right. I prefer the SL.LUX because it feels solid as opposed to the SL.SSL. The latter started flickering after about a week's worth of use and after I drained down the original set of batteries that came with it. Wanted to see how long it'll go running continuous. It felt warm and the "electrical smell" that's familiar. . .With new and fresh set of dbAs in, the flicker began. Never been dropped. . .But it is a decent lighting tool that I find useful and purposeful for my needs.

CLHC

Flashaholic
The SL.SSL's reflector is still the same as when new with no bubble peel effects. No plastic deformation whatsoever on lens. Well, I guess that's what Solid State LED flashlights are like.

GWC3

Newly Enlightened
its not clear what your use or requirements are. While not cheap, I would consider fenix L2P (I have several, as well as the L1P and new L0P). I cinsider the L2P to be a good general use light for car or around the house etc. It is not a srong thrower but has good close in spill. And it runs on AA's of all varieties (lithiums being the longest and strongest running). Its waterproof, light, etc. If I was camping and backpacking again (was 10 years ago with sons scout troop) I would seriously consider this as the carry light (with a photon or small backup - arc aaa, etc). But how are you going to use it is the question.