Which 4AA Led light would you prefere & why?

jeremycollins

Newly Enlightened
The only one I own is the Streamlight PP 4AA. I dont need any other 4AA since this one is: bright and cheap. Just how I like my women... I mean lights!

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
SL PolyPro Luxeon.

Great smooth beam. Great throw. Waterproof. Lightweight. Rugged. Uses AA batteries. Inexpensive.

CLHC

Flashaholic
Already stated—The Streamlight 4dbA Propolymer Luxeon.

Nice smooth even spill, great "throw" with hotspot. Decent runtime, lightweight and well built plus affordable with OTS batteries pretty much available everywhere.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I'm not personally a fan of plastic lights in general but I've owned the Streamlight and the eLED. I traded the eLED and gave the Streamlight away. Both were very decent lights though.

In general, the eLED and Impact XL are in the same class... not much throw, decently bright, very good runtime. The Streamlight has very nice throw, is brighter than the other two but half or less of the runtime.

For an indoor light, I'd go for the UK or PT... For an outdoor light where I might need to use it beyond 20 feet or so, the Streamlight would be a much better choice.

Just depends on what you are after... throw or runtime.

mykall

Enlightened
I don't know how anyone could argue with the incredible
hotspot and sidespill of the SL PP-L. Four hours of flat reg
on alkies and 6 hours on lithies isn't too bad either.

MB

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 4AA form factor are the lights I use most often. I love the UK 4AA eLed for its incredible runtime, flat regulated output over 90% of initial brightness for more than ten hours! It's small for a good 4AA light, too. It can also get hours of usefull light from the batteries that are too weak to run my sons gameboys.

I love the SL ProPoly Lux for its great throw and increased brightness, a great outdoor light. I think they could have made it a bit smaller though.

I like the switch placement of the UK better, though I like the actual switch of the SL better.

I bought 15 of the UK's when they were $20 from BriteGuy, and gave away all but four. One I gave to my brother-in-law was the brightest of all of them, but it had a slight but noticeable green tint. Interesting.

I bought a few SL recently from Fox for about $28, so both lights are great values.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
UK4AA, for the above reasons and Its VERY wide spill. Well over 100 degrees. More light to the sides is where its at, AFAIC.

JackJ

Newly Enlightened
Spin said:
1.Princeton Tec Impact XL
2. UK eLED
3. ProPoly Luxeon

I'm interested in this format too, but the one that's caught my eye is the [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Xtreme Light 1 Watt Dive Light (DLX-014AA), reviewed at http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/xtremelite_dlx-014aa.htm[/font]

I don't own one, so I'm just going on the review at this point. But it's got three output levels, flat regulation on high for six hours, a dive rating of 100', and much more overall output than the UK or PT models. The ProPoly Lux beats it in throw and output, but I think I'd like the wider beam pattern of the Xtreme, and I definitely like having low and medium options.

Some day I'll probably get around to buying it. The lack of first hand testimonials is the only thing holding me back. I should start a new thread on it to try and elicit some info., but I gotta get some sleep.

Jack

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the tip, JackJ
I am looking for a 4AA to buy my brother as a present and it must use NiMH or alkalines. The Xtreme seems to have better switching/regulation than the SL so let us know how you like it.

garageguy

Newly Enlightened
I have a SL 4AA Lux that I run on NiMh and it is extremely bright. I played with the PT Impact XL at a store before and it doesn't even compare to the SL, it was rather dim. I have never used the Xtreme but looking at the numbers on flashlightreviews.com it is between the SL and the PT for throw and output. It all comes down to if you want a light for brightness or runtime. If you want bright definately go with the SL 4AA ProPoly Lux.

C4LED

Enlightened
Like folks already said... it depends on your needs.

That said, the UK is most reliable, best all around of the choices, but will not give you throw.

DoubleDutch

Enlightened
The Netherlands - one foot below sea level
If you want to have the best of both worlds ..... you can:

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/uk_zoom.htm

The UK eLED zoom doesn't give you the throw (54 vs. 30) of the SL Propoly, but it gives you the choice between its output, or the output of the UK eLED. Respective runtimes 2,5 and 10 hours. Runtime on high is not as spectacular, but then you can save juice by using the low mode when you don't need all that light.

So, this light is an answer to that typical CPF need: buy this and that.

Kees